Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zerthex

what about FreeQuake?

OpenQuartz, Yeah. Tree monsters and one level.

There's also another page/project called FreeQuake. Nothing happened at all, just a statement. You'll find it on SourceForge.

IMO, OpenQuartz didn't makeit because of all the 3D things involved. And the lack of motivation.

Seems there was some kind of sequel too.
http://www.quakewiki.net/openquartz-2/

Don't forget OQPlus. It actually uses some Freedoom textures, and the weapon models are very good IMO. There are no monsters though.

The project hasn't been updated since 2008, and with leileilol focussed on OpenArena further development seems unlikely unless someone else picks it up. I'd say this project has some solid foundation to build upon, if only there was more interest/encouragement from the playing community I think it could take off.

I actually remember that I tried improving a few of the sounds for the projectin a personal pk3 somewhere around here, but it is quite a shame it's just sitting there. I would've loved an proper OpenQuake. Though I wish it would be picked up. Maybe as an added for the QuakeWorld client or something. But that's highly unlikely and probably considered pointless.

I remember OpenQuartz's water sounds being very obnoxious, as well as the zapping and crackling sounds for some of the machinery.

Damn, now you got me wanting to play it again. I just might play some Quake 1 online now.

Zerthex said:

we have FreeDooM but why not FreeQuake?

Then do it.

A few years ago, I decided to remake some Quake content, starting with weapon models as the first (and possibly last) milestone. I made 3 weapons before being distracted with something else. Right now I'm in the process of refining things that were made back then, as my interest in Quake has returned.

http://i.imgur.com/6j9Qe5s.png

Not sure why I wrote this, as my efforts are unlikely to evolve into something as big as Freedoom.

Ok, I seriously love that Shotgun model.

...I'd totally throw that in my id1 folder if you released it.

It would be nice to have a Free version of every old FPS with open code, but the problem is getting people interested in working on such projects. Freedoom and OpenArena are the most successful projects of it's kind as far as I know.

@DaWerecat That is a pretty sweet shotgun.

If there's any sort of FreeQuake I would want, it would be HacX 3D. It looked so awesome.

SuperSomariDX said:

if you released it

Yeah, I intend to, but it all needs some more tweaks before I'm satisfied.

I don't think there is much point in a "Free Quake". First, there is the matter of the hard coded image used for checking the full version of the game in gfx.wad (forgot what the image was called). Second, and more importantly, the quake 1 bsp format is absolutely horrible for freedom, as textures are hardcoded with no way to replace them that works with vanilla and doesn't cause checksum issues.

I don't think Quake 2 uses hardcoded stuff, but using dlls instead of a more portable format (not to mention many using the free multiplayer only demo) also make it a bad choice...

Danfun64 said:

Second, and more importantly, the quake 1 bsp format is absolutely horrible for freedom, as textures are hardcoded with no way to replace them that works with vanilla and doesn't cause checksum issues.

I don't see it as an issue. Even better - maps made with Quake texture wads will look exactly the same, instead of using some new textures imitating the old ones. One compatibility problem gone. Technically, you don't even need to make any textures for your FreeQuake to work as a free id1 substitute, unless you want to bundle maps with it.

As for the first matter, OpenQuartz works somehow, is it not?

Danfun64 said:

I don't think there is much point in a "Free Quake". First, there is the matter of the hard coded image used for checking the full version of the game in gfx.wad (forgot what the image was called).

It is a tiny file that could be copied if needed.

Moreover, a FreeQuake would more wisely target a source port and NOT vanilla quake. Similar to how FreeDoom required a Boom port for most of its existence.

Second, and more importantly, the quake 1 bsp format is absolutely horrible for freedom, as textures are hardcoded with no way to replace them that works with vanilla and doesn't cause checksum issues.

No biggie really, and it means a FreeQuake project does not require a replacement for every single texture since bsps for the original game come with their textures bundled in them.

---

Leilei made some better weapons for the OQplus project. The task nobody seems to want to do is make some decent low-poly monsters.

I'd like hondobondo to make a FreeQuake.
hondobondo is the creator of Super Duper Quake, a huge crazy ass mod.

What I'm saying is not something completely original, but something to base the project. Freedoom started out with many "illegal" assets in the beginning, didn't it?

Voros said:

Freedoom started out with many "illegal" assets in the beginning, didn't it?

I'm not sure if "many" is a proper word here. It has always been my understanding that there were just a couple of incidents when several copyrighted assets (sounds I think) served as basis for contributions which were removed posthaste.

yup mrfibble is right, if you read the early threads you can tell they were attempting to make something from scratch early on

andrewj said:

it means a FreeQuake project does not require a replacement for every single texture since bsps for the original game come with their textures bundled in them.

I *like* seeing every texture have a free content equivalent. Ideology lol.

andrewj said:

The task nobody seems to want to do is make some decent low-poly monsters.

Maybe it could go the Sauerbraten route and use those custom Quake 2 skins as a placeholder for the monsters. A working single player campaing, even if it uses placeholder models, might bring attention to the project(althought it never happened with Sauerbraten, but I think it has more to do with the monsters AI being shit and the campaing being mediocre).

IMO, a Freequake2 would be far more useful. Once this issue has been taken care of, of course :P

Openquartz, though not even close to being considered complete, provides basic assets, including a few monster models. Also, Xonotic may or may not implement the Quake campaign somehow.

Quake 2 only has this LOL

On 6/6/2016 at 6:34 PM, Danfun64 said:

I don't think there is much point in a "Free Quake".

Hey, sorry for bumping this, but I think it is worth noting that there are applications for a libre Quake replacement, apart from it being a stand-alone game.

For one, you could play third-party maps and mods. I've just successfully launched the demo of X-Men: The Ravages of Apocalypse using OpenQuartz 2 v0.3 (here's a working download link):

xmendemo000000.jpg.bb573f8033c8fbd082ef878d03433466.jpg

This is more of a proof-of-concept than anything because the full game is available for free, but there are other Quake TCs aren't there?

BTW, does anyone still have the files for OQPlus? The SVN repository has been removed, it seems.

xmendemo000001.jpg

12 hours ago, MrFlibble said:

BTW, does anyone still have the files for OQPlus? The SVN repository has been removed, it seems.

I have "a" snapshot of the SVN repository, though I don't feel comfortable putting it somewhere like github without asking first, so I'll post a message on the OA forums and hopefully the most recent version can be placed on github.

could phones handle that kind of thing? I don't know, I don't have one. 

A FreeQuake seems unnecessary, since people can mod FreeDoom. I'm not saying that they shouldn't make it, I am saying that they could just make it by hacking the FreeDoom engine and publishing it. 

4 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

could phones handle that kind of thing? I don't know, I don't have one. 

A FreeQuake seems unnecessary, since people can mod FreeDoom. I'm not saying that they shouldn't make it, I am saying that they could just make it by hacking the FreeDoom engine and publishing it. 

This is nonsense. You couldn’t use the levels in quake, or the sprites, or MIDI music. you could repurpose the textures and sounds. But that’s about it. You’d have to create or find at least as much other content to make something work. 

And there’s already OpenQuartz. 

5 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

hacking the FreeDoom engine

There's no such thing.

4 hours ago, Jon said:

And there’s already OpenQuartz. 

OpenQuartz is effectively abandoned, or at least has not been updated for over ten years (more if you don't count OQ2). That was essentially my point for bumping this thread.

OQPlus was going in a good direction, but I think I can quite understand leileilol's decision to freeze the project. Too bad the SVN was taken down, I believe there could be others who'd take up the banner? I mean, isn't that one of the advantages of open source software, so that anyone can continue to work on a project as much as they please?

Since nobody seems to have mentioned it, there's a more recent attempt at creating an openly licensed Quake asset replacement:

https://github.com/MissLav/LibreQuake

It already looks in better shape than its predecessors, and they showcase active developments on their discord channel.

About OQPlus: its website seems to have gone away btw, since mancubus.net is apparently gone.

2 minutes ago, Ferk said:

Since nobody seems to have mentioned it, there's a more recent attempt at creating an openly licensed Quake asset replacement: https://github.com/MissLav/LibreQuake

Hey, thanks for bringing this up! I knew there would have to be another attempt, but probably didn't Google deep enough to discover it myself :)