Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skillsaw

Ancient Aliens - final version on idgames

About to play this now finally *rubs hands together* for a good 20 mins before training. Will complete before the end of week. Thanks Skillsaw.

Thank you so much for this sillsaw. This actually gave me an excuse to play it again xD

I had finished RC1/2 but, I wanted to take the opportunity to restart it in pistol start mode. I was about to do it on RC2 but you came to my rescue with an RC3 :D

NoobBait said:

Got stuck on map 06, unless it is my fault: http://imgur.com/a/IOxAy
(played rc3 using glboom-plus 2.5.1.4 with -complevel 9)

Awesome levels so far!

Edit: Here's the demofile http://speedy.sh/DxHru/aaliens06-bug.zip. happens at around 3:35.

Whaaaaaaat. Apparently the way I angled the lines on the voodoo doll conveyors causes them to get skipped *sometimes* in prb+ (other times, it just works. I don't get it). I thought angling them prevented skips from happening. Port inconsistencies with conveyors is causing me way too many headaches this time around D:

Anyways, I rearranged things a little bit and it seems to work 100% of the time now. Here's an rc3a:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8bfxr2az5b8i8fy

crackerjacc said:

So I've been playing RC1 version with Brutal Doom starter kit for a while and just moved over to RC2 but now every time I go to load a saved game it does nothing, it won't load old saves. I can start a new game but not load the old saves. :( Any advise? I'd hate to have to start all over again.

Second question, Map 9 "The Nectar Flow" I can't figure out where to go next. I'm in the area where you're suppose to hit the button and what I assume race through some gates before they close again but there is no way I'm fast enough to do it before they close. I'm i missing something? I have "run always" enabled and there doesn't appear to be a sprint option.

So I cheated and just up'd the Turbo to 150 in the console, lol.

I have to say a big thanks to you guys for continuing to push this along. It brings back memories of taking over the network lab in college when Doom first came out for deathmatches, lol.

So just what am I supposed to do on MAP25? I wandered around the map for a solid 30 minutes after killing anything I saw. Found no keys or switches to progress, only the plasma rifle secret.

Edit: Found the switch. It could be a bit more obvious, IMO.

Halfblind said:

so I found out that there is another game by this title. To think of it this map set is based on the game. I think I would rather play this over the original game anyways.

Ancient Aliens: The Game

Heh, I thought this mapset was based off of the TV show of the same name, hence the gorgio tsukalos picture :D

Unless the game is also based on the TV show that is.

Yeah, we found about that game shortly after RC1 was released, if I recall the timeline right. At least the original unaltered timeline. I think skillsaw sent them a C&D.

I'd say they picked the right genre for a game spinoff, but the self-parodying tone seems to break the series' Poe magic. Gameplay looks a bit dry.

The_Trigger said:

Heh, I thought this mapset was based off of the TV show of the same name, hence the gorgio tsukalos picture :D

Unless the game is also based on the TV show that is.

It is! Look at the screens :)

I just started playing RC3a.starting out with applied einstein MAP11 and liked what I saw, except for the chopped off head and the health bonus stuck in wall.
I know, little things, but they taint the atmosphere.

I moved the health bonuses a little bit so they shouldn't do that anymore, but the HKs clipping into the ceiling is an issue with hardware rendering. It happens in a lot of maps.

Hmmm, can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong. I grabbed the latest GZDoom and now every time I try and run a WAD other than the original DOOM2.wad file I get the following and can't start.

Script error, "gzdoom.pk3:compatibility.txt" line 324:
Expected '}', got 'pointonline'.

What's the latest GZDoom that is compatible? Is the 64bit build compatible?

crackerjacc said:

Hmmm, can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong. I grabbed the latest GZDoom and now every time I try and run a WAD other than the original DOOM2.wad file I get the following and can't start.

Script error, "gzdoom.pk3:compatibility.txt" line 324:
Expected '}', got 'pointonline'.

What's the latest GZDoom that is compatible? Is the 64bit build compatible?

If GZDoom complains about its own support data pack, it means that your gzdoom.exe is quite a bit older than your gzdoom.pk3. Make sure to replace both files.

Did you do this report?

Gez said:

If GZDoom complains about its own support data pack, it means that your gzdoom.exe is quite a bit older than your gzdoom.pk3. Make sure to replace both files.

Did you do this report?

Hmm, well I grabbed their complete recent build that has everything up to date. I did report and post on their forum site but they never responded.

Anyway, I went back to an older version and it appears to work, I was just curious if I'm the only one seeing issues with newer builds?

Da Werecat said:

Nitpickousness.

I went around the map and tried to get rid of as many of the black lines as I could spot by moving the texture down slightly (I believe this is caused due to the way some ports occasionally render the next row of pixels on the texture from some angles, even though they are supposed to be hidden from view). Yeah I can see how the turning forks may look a little silly, especially when viewed from the side. I considered removing several of the ones that could be seen at such angles, but decided against it when I realized how much of the map's structure would have to be changed to accommodate. I also made some other cosmetic changes such as fixing various texture oddities, playing with sector heights to make things look a little less uniform, and last but not least, added a secret area, an intro, and an outro section to the map so that it feels a little more connected with map23 and map25.

Dumb Fact: I cropped the sun from a Tears for Fears album:

BlackFish: You mean, apart from a lot of the rest of the soundtrack? :P
Not really that I'm aware of. It was a bit of an experiment (like so much of my music...). Many of the elements in it can be found elsewhere though (like, the rhythm in map31's track, the pitch bent strings from btsx e2m1, some of the melodies/harmonies from elsewhere in AA), but otherwise it was pretty much a one-off.

When I played this with zdoom-2.8.1.I found a bug in MAP18.You'll be stuck when you fall into the Sector 239.The three candelabras positons are needed to change.

We will be playing the second half of this WAD in Thursday Night Survival this week (9th Jun, 19:00 BST). More details coming in a DW Multiplayer section post on Wednesday. We are extending an invitation to all of you, and will be happy to see you join us as we finish this epic journey.

This wad is a lot of fun in survival; I hope I'll be able to make it!

skillsaw said:

Whaaaaaaat. Apparently the way I angled the lines on the voodoo doll conveyors causes them to get skipped *sometimes* in prb+ (other times, it just works. I don't get it). I thought angling them prevented skips from happening. Port inconsistencies with conveyors is causing me way too many headaches this time around D:

Anyways, I rearranged things a little bit and it seems to work 100% of the time now. Here's an rc3a:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8bfxr2az5b8i8fy

I hit this with RC3 and an old ZDoom (ZDoom 2.7.1 - 2013-07-02 15:47:49 -0500 - SDL version). I'll try RC3a and I guess upgrading ZDoom.

(using Z because the Mac versions of Prboom+ and Eternity are completely broken for me.)