Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MSPaintR0cks

Shadow Of The Wool Ball :3 (v1.3 released!)

tumblr_oscj23lj0p1rtk7t5o1_500.gif

Whats up, I just finished this weird game here :D

tumblr_oscj23lj0p1rtk7t5o2_1280.png 

tumblr_oscj23lj0p1rtk7t5o4_1280.png

tumblr_oscj23lj0p1rtk7t5o3_1280.png

tumblr_oscj23lj0p1rtk7t5o7_250.gif

Oh crap! An evil, curtain-scratching and hairball-vomiting force from outer space has arrived on your peaceful home planet!
They captured you and all your friends, built ugly factories everywhere and littered the landscapes with cat hair and poop.
And on top of that, they took that one girl you just got together with onto one of their ships, heading towards outer space!
Do you have the balls of wool to pack your guns, escape from your prison, and go on a journey through space to free your world from this abomination?

tumblr_oscj23lj0p1rtk7t5o6_250.gif

• 3 mayhem filled episodes with 6 levels... in REAL 3D!!!
  • High Resolution 320x200 cartoon graphics!!!
  • 265 colors!!!
  • awkward english by a non-native speaker!!!
  • a completely new and awes0me soundtrack in the vein of Bobby Prince!!!
  • horrible puns!!!

tumblr_osckpoJz311rtk7t5o1_250.gif

Click here! v1.3
Needs ZDoom 2.8.1!
GZDoom or newer alpha builds look kind of buggy

Make sure to unzip the archive and run these two:
tumblr_osckpoJz311rtk7t5o2_250.png
I also recommend choosing the Doom2 Iwad! :3

Older versions:

Spoiler

tumblr_oscj23lj0p1rtk7t5o5_250.gif

The goal of this ZDoom project was to create a little cartoony game the way it could have been made in the early 90s... on a slightly extended Wolfenstein 3D engine. Which means you get a Wolf3D gameplay style, but with quite a few tweaks and platformer-esque stuff. But to be honest, I had no idea what I was doing when I started the game. I tried all kinds of weird stuff with the Zdoom engine, drew some even weirder enemy sprites and slowly an entire game started to emerge. At some point, it all was tied together by a little story.

Edited by MSPaintR0cks

Looks cute, but I disapprove of violence against kitties.

MSPaintR0cks said:

Send me a PN or tell me in this thread if you are interested :3

Send a PN? You mean PM by any means?
Other way, I'm up for some testing for you.

@walter

@Gez
Ok D:
Well then I hope you change your mind as soon as those kitties point their guns at your face.

@joe-ilya
Hey thanks a ton for your interest, gonna send you the wad soon!

@rileymartin
Yes, everything in this game is kinda kept within the limitations of pre-Doom engines. But I added a lot of new stuff that you encounter troughout the game.

Just a suggestion but I think you should try to make the pistol look a bit less like a mini version of the shotgun.

The screenshots went down :( it looked good. protip: use imgur

@alterworldruler
Oops, pictures should now work again :D

@Avoozl
I thought about changing that too... let`s see if I come up with something new

This looks really interesting; I just wish you'd put the link up for all of us! I'd like to play it, but don't want to promise you testing of any quality or depth in the process. I simply don't have the time, but I always am looking for cool-looking stuff to include in my articles each week, so I'd love the chance to just play this and check it out with no strings attached (though I will give a few thoughts afterward, I just don't want to promise anything).

I would really be interested in testing this.

Love the art style, specially the Wolfenstein feel.

Just wanted to inform you guys that the game is released now. :D
I hope no new bugs have crept in while me and the testers got rid of the old ones... o_o

MSPaintR0cks said:

Just wanted to inform you guys that the game is released now. :D
I hope no new bugs have crept in while me and the testers got rid of the old ones... o_o

There's only one, when you press the exit door in E1M1 when it's not in the shutdown mode, it says unknown script 4 in the console. Other than that, it's great! It's a really nice tribute to Wolfenstein 3D clones of the early 90s, the intermission picture is amazing leaving me with a grin everytime I see it.

I like the twists you put on the gameplay which I won't spoil for everyone else in here. Plus the music kicks ass! YOU SHOULD consider making a full blown sequel that takes it up to the next level adventures of square style (which you should play for inspiration btw)

@alterworldruler
Aw crap, there still is a bug there... xD
But it doesn`t do anything, gonna fix that.
Thanksalot! :D

I played with the thought of doing a sequel in the future, with Rise Of The Triad-styled levels and 3D floors. But with my short attention span, I am not too sure if it would be finished in a reasonable time. xD
Yes, I played a bit of Adventures of Square. Jimmy is someone I look up to, in regards of game design and composing music o_o

Just want to take a sec to say that I got the chance to play this a few days ago and I had a ton of fun playing it; the levels were fun to explore and the weapons satisfying to use. I liked the quality of the cinematics and also really appreciated the good use of imagery to convey the story during them. Some nice comedy in here as well. I highly recommend this to everyone! Check the TWID article for additional thoughts and great job, once again MSPaintR0cks!

I would appreciate if you could re-add the option to disable the bunny mouse cursor in the menu. (EDIT: I've already disabled it via console, but anyway.)

EDIT: I like the art style of this game's graphics and animations (and how they fit the "Wolf 3D engine"). Other than that, I can't really say I like the game (a fancy weapon recoil can't salvage an entirely flat and tile based level design), but I understand what this game is trying to be like, and it's fine for that.

Yeah thats alright :D
Wolfenstein 3D stuff is in most cases an acquired taste I think... Either you like it because of the nostalgia or you dislike it for all its limitations.
The original Wolf3D sometimes even gives me motion sickness.

I've also found a minor bug that seemingly affects all doors in the game: After they close, they can't be re-opened for a couple of seconds a whole second. I'm sure that delay could be removed.

Hahaha Bimmy and Jimmy! I love the double dragon reference, I'm loving the game so far only one question? How is the golden shotgun different from the normal one (besides different ammo)?

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

Hahaha Bimmy and Jimmy! I love the double dragon reference, I'm loving the game so far only one question? How is the golden shotgun different from the normal one (besides different ammo)?

Much, much more damage. I'd risk saying around 4 times more damage.

Albertoni said:

Much, much more damage. I'd risk saying around 4 times more damage.

Damn that's crazy I only used it on a few enemies and I didn't notice it was so beefed up

Well, this crusade against the damn cats was quite fun. Funny, too. At last, someone bold enough to wage war on the Internet's chief idol.
The style is minimalistic but not without a twist, and the characters are lovely despite their sketchy appearance. Various gimmicks complement the gameplay well, mixing up otherwise pretty monotonous wold3d-esque formula. Overall I think it does a good job at maintaining the balance between being cute and violent, childish and adult, while also being as far from serious as possible, and that's definitely a plus. Good work!

Aside from the bug with the script error mentioned earlier - I noticed that quite a number of those mad laughing kamikaze cats fail to enter the alerted state right away upon seeing the player, never noticed anything like that with other enemy types.

P.S. My regards for those furry Russians in particular, I swear I kept chuckling every time upon hearing their alert sound.

Just added version 1.2.

Changes:

• A sad little Game Over Screen you get when when you die
  • Got rid of that door bug in E1M1
  • Doors can now be re-opened a lot faster
  • Chaingun now only shoots 2 bullets per click
  • Prisoners can now also be freed by simply pressing Use
  • "1"s now look less like "7"s
  • Added a fancy little Startup Title for the Zdoom Launcher
  • That green stripe at the bottom at the end of Ep2 is now gone :3

@NerdTurtle
Great to see someone got that reference! :D

@Demonologist
Thx! Yeah, there is something weird going on with these kamikaze enemies sometimes. I have no idea what that could be. D:

@MsPaintR0cks

I'm honestly loving this! I'm almost done with the third episode and all the references and puns are really funny. And the changelist is full of things I was about to recommend being that doors didn't open again sometimes being the only bug I noticed. And I always tried to free the prisoners by pressing 'E'.

More of a review type thing to come when I complete the game

E3M3 was really creative along with the E2 level based off the gimmick of not being spotted. I just love the creativity. Needless to say I died a lot on that E2 level. The bosses were all pretty well designed, the second one was miles easier than the first but that's okay. Also the last boss was hard as balls, even though I only died once. I still think however that you should have had a legit fight with the last kitten but it's still a rocking game. The biggest plus I'd say is that the level design is good enough that I never got lost despite being a Wolf Clone, I always get lost in Wolf but your maps were short enough and unique enough that I never lost my way. Thanks for this game MsPaintR0cks :)

PS I was going to say the squirrel looked like Rigby the entire time! hahaha I didn't know you were inspired by the Regular Show

This is quite the game, had some laughs along the way, overall i'd say it's a great game, even though it's short, it's worth playing, plus the music is kickass and those kamikaze cats are hilarious.

Fur-ntastic!

Just whipped through the whole thing on Medium. (Little under 2 hours.) Amazing! The music for E1M6 in particular was awesome. I laughed out loud at the end. Twice. :D

Just a couple of bugs:

• I too got a script error trying to open an exit door early. Don't remember which level, though.
  • In E1M4, in the wind tunnels to the NE of the map, three of the alcoves (2nd, 3rd, and 4th, I believe) still have the wind effect, when I'm guessing they shouldn't?
  • When introducing the Cat-ptain, he's called "an fat alcoholic", which should of course be "a fat alcoholic".
  • And not a bug, but maybe consider making a help screen or something that shows up (besides the standard screen) when you press F1.
Great job all around!

Salt-Man Z said:

I too got a script error trying to open an exit door early. Don't remember which level, though.

I got the same thing I'm almost positive I got it on the first level. Like 99% sure