Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheNerdTurtle2

Speed Map - Unusual

I made a 1 hour and 15 minute speed map and it was a learning experience if nothing more (This was my first time making one). I learned that I am a slow mapper and that I need to time to let my map breath or else it ends up like this: A chaotic mess. A beautiful chaotic mess. I'm actually surprised at how much I got done for the short hour and 15. And I love the way the map plays, crammed with monsters but enough room to breathe and reposition. All difficulties are there with ITYTD being too easy and UV being pretty hardcore but do-able.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g5qoe1ksgp4qrxc/Unusual1.wad?dl=0

Compatibility: Boom

Have fun and give feedback :)
P.S I tip my hat to those who get the secret

Screenies:

Spoiler

EDIT: Made ammo more managable on UV

You probably need 5-10x more monsters on UV for it to be chaotic (or a few AVs, PEs, more shotgunners and chaingunners, etc.). Fairly low-pressure because the monster density is actually quite low given the amount of space available, and even without much ammo there'd be a lot of infighting opportunities possible. Flows nice, though -- would be a good map for UV-max runs.

rdwpa said:

You probably need 5-10x more monsters on UV for it to be chaotic (or a few AVs, PEs, more shotgunners and chaingunners, etc.). Fairly low-pressure because the monster density is actually quite low given the amount of space available, and even without much ammo there'd be a lot of infighting opportunities possible. Flows nice, though -- would be a good map for UV-max runs.

Thanks I was just considering that fact that it took my nearly 8 tries to beat it on UV and I was taking into account that I'm not very good haha but you're saying it needs to be harder?

Short and sweet, uv was easier than expected given the description but it is ok. Got all the monsters without dying around the 5 minutes mark and the proceeded to stumble upon the secret around 7:40. Unfortunatly i didn't recorded an fda. It was a pretty good attempt overall.

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

Thanks I was just considering that fact that it took my nearly 8 tries to beat it on UV and I was taking into account that I'm not very good haha but you're saying it needs to be harder?

rdwpa reputably finds insane maps relatively easy; especially when compared to my skill level. If time permits & I remember, I'll give this a go tonight for you.

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

Nah, just that the description had me expecting something else entirely.

You made a functional map in 75 minutes that's fun to speedrun, and it's your first speedmap -- overall a success imo.

Fun map. FDA: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1625683

I went on the right-hand path at first, towards the HKs and Manc, and found it not too hard. I found the secret, and then instead of exiting, blew myself up to try the map again from the other path. It's much more chaotic in that route, since there are revenants on you right away and if you don't stand your ground you'll just get more monsters on your tail. For a non-speedmap I'd recommend making both paths equally difficult. Anyhow good job, that's quite decent for 1h15.

plums said:

Fun map. FDA: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1625683

I went on the right-hand path at first, towards the HKs and Manc, and found it not too hard. I found the secret, and then instead of exiting, blew myself up to try the map again from the other path. It's much more chaotic in that route, since there are revenants on you right away and if you don't stand your ground you'll just get more monsters on your tail. For a non-speedmap I'd recommend making both paths equally difficult. Anyhow good job, that's quite decent for 1h15.

Thanks a lot :) I'm on my phone so I can't watch that FDA yet but I can't wait. And what's really funny is I found the right path to be more difficult in my own experience.

EDIT: I watched it and I completely see what you mean now, I think I'm going to re-balance the level