Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Build a real E1M1?

The money could conceivably be raised, but the project would fall apart at the architecture/engineering stage.

And a crowdfunding campaign would never get off the ground either. You wouldn't even raise 1% of the budget that way. You'd need an eccentric billionaire of sorts to do it.

It really depends on the scale used, but I don't see how it would exceed $100,000 to build. That's attainable with crowdfunding, although I don't know if recreating a Doom map in real life would actually garner such support. At least they picked a level that would be fairly straight-forward.

I mean, really, Star Trek Continues is crowdfunded and they recreated entire Star Trek sets, costumes, music, etc. Conceptually, it's not that far off.

andrewj said:

"Uses for it include..... weddings"

Oooh how romantic!

Where would the ceremony take place? the top of the steps at the beginning? In front of the front window? Inside the little alcove in the second large room? Or at the end of the pathway across the acid floor. That can be where the Wedding Procession walks down. The guests can be on either side in the acid pools wearing radiation suits.

FUCK E1M1.

You grow a sack and build E1M2.

EDIT: Yes...or M7.

Sorry...I don't like using my big voice.

MusicallyInspired said:

E1M2 would actually be a pretty sweet theme park attraction...

Imagine a DOOM themed paintball park.

I'd make a yearly roadtrip for that.

*reads reddit thread*
That's gonna take A LOT of money. The cement, iron bars, various colored plastics, blue carpets, dirt(yes, dirt, not land), non-hazardous green solvent and barrels for containing the solvent, devilish candlesticks, exit sign, glass, lots of monitors to display who knows what, hexagonal tiles etc.

I don't think many people will contribute to this UNLESS that person got a lot of cash in their pockets.

Wasn't there some project way back about recreating de_dust from Counterstrike as a real life paintball arena? How did that go?

Such a project would never take off. It would get stuck on the "so how many map units are in one meter?" stage. Not to mention aspect ratio...

Assuming it is E1M1, I think it's perfectly possible, I mean, I've seen bigger houses than that.

On the other hand, as much as I love Doom, this is one absurd idea (and if done, it would be a huge waste of money in my opinion).

EDIT: So yeah, definitely possible, but pointless.

Why not E2M2 as a paintball/airsoft arena, sans the crushers?

A scary maze/haunted house type attraction, using Doom textures blown up and plastered on the walls, would be cool.
You could make up most of the design and layout, and maybe only use one of the most iconic Doom areas as a recreation in a small part of it(like the first room of E1M1, sans the staircase room.)
Recreating an entire level, however, would be absurd.

If you're only going to make one room from Doom for a haunted house, it needs to be the baron room from e1m8. Instead of barons the haunted house could use two big dudes with chainsaws. Just think of how many people would shit themselves.

Glaice said:

Why not E2M2 as a paintball/airsoft arena, sans the crushers?

Why not just make the crushers out or foam?

Where has this $100,000 figure even come from? For the land and materials alone you'd be looking near enough to a million, depending on location. That's not even taking construction fees into account. For 100k you'd be looking at a Derek Zoolander E1M1 for ants.

EDIT: 100k might be enough for a permenant mini-haunted house type recreation I suppose, but I meant an actual building kinda-sorta close to the real thing at something close to the real scale.

Plot twist: Build it on the golf course of the Chinese mountain range that the background image of E1 was used for.

Nothing better than being structurally & environmentally accurate. And that'd be super eerie as hell to walk through, lookout the paneless windows and see the same mountains in the distance.

Take that, VR.

You know, to stand in a base that was a somewhat accurate replica of e1m1 while looking out over Yangshuo cavern would honestly be incredible.

The best use of recreating a Doom map IRL would be to turn it into a mixed reality haunted house, something that mixes physical props with 3D models (used for scares) overplayed on a VR headset.

Just build a diorama instead. At least that could possibly be replicated via 3D printing. A building that somneone else owns sounds like a waste of money.

Hello,

I have been thinking about about the possibilities for this project.

I don't think it's a waste at all. There are scientists that do very obscure research into aspects of biology for example studying the genomes of insects and although, to most people this seems wasteful, it ends up producing new discoveries which benefit humanity.

3D printing a building this size, this detailed and this functional will be a huge step forward not only for the 3D printing of buildings but for material construction science. If we build E1M1IRL using mainly sulfur concrete then we are developing construction techniques that could later be used on Mars.

On Mars there is very little water but there is plenty of sulfur. The process for making the sulfur concrete involves heating it to melting point and using it as a liquid instead of water. The end product is far more durable and longer lasting than traditional concrete. I would estimate it has 20-30 times the lifespan. So by building this here on Earth we are helping the human race get ready to become multi-planetary. Right now Elon Musk and Space X is working on this very goal.

As some people here and on reddit have pointed out the mountain range is actually in China.

I doubt we will be able to secure the land right near the mountain range but China seems like an extremely viable place to build this.

WinSun (a Chinese company) has 3D printed houses and entire apartment blocks and did so in less than a day.

I also don't think it would be difficult at all to get something like this happening. Consider that China builds massive ghost cities like Kangbashi and Ordos.
The Chinese try to replicate major US and European cities right down to copycat monuments like the Eiffel tower.

Westerners that go to these cities are often recruited to help sell apartments there. There was a documentary about it but I can't find the link at the moment. I will post it if I can find it.

So if the Chinese are eager to build these massive cities I think it's not too much of a stretch to get E1M1 IRL built.

I have started a slack for those interested in communication and collaboration towards this project:

https://e1m1irl.slack.com

Thank you,

Chris

Even though E4 was the weakest in the ultimate doom, E4M1 would look prettify cool in real life. Well at least the beginning section.