Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Goat

Any way to play STRAIN with Zdoom?

I just dld the STRAIN megawad, and was playin it with the regular doom 2 stuff. I was wonderin if there was any way to play it thru zdoom, and if so can someone please walk me thru it?

Archvile64 said:

Ever try zdoom -file strain.wad?

I bet thats his problem... hes not loading the deh file!

i put the wad in the folder and stuff and it didnt work, it just loaded the normal doom 2 game.

Goat said:

I just dld the STRAIN megawad, and was playin it with the regular doom 2 stuff. I was wonderin if there was any way to play it thru zdoom, and if so can someone please walk me thru it?

STRAIN works fine with every version of Zdoom I have ever tried it with (including 1.23 beta 33). Just be sure to load up both STRAIN.WAD and STRAIN.DEH in whatever way you would normally load up wads/dehs in zdoom (e.g. dragging them to a zdoom icon). You can test whether it has worked OK by warping to map 3 (idclev03): if there are immobilized arachnotrons in the outdoors area, it hasn't; if there are superfast imps, it has.

From the command line, the following should work (assuming the relevant files are in the c:\doom2 folder):
c:\doom2\zdoom.exe -file c:\doom2\strain.wad -deh c:\doom2\strain.deh
I have included the full paths in this in case you are an XP user.

Thanks a ton, Grazza. I think I was playing STRAIN the wrong way to begin with, cuz when I opened it in Zdoom, the pistol was shooting faster than normal, the graphics were a little different, and I had 2 fists instead of the normal one (this is just the first impression from the first room). Again, thanks... now back to the game!

Goat said:

Thanks a ton, Grazza. I think I was playing STRAIN the wrong way to begin with, cuz when I opened it in Zdoom, the pistol was shooting faster than normal, the graphics were a little different, and I had 2 fists instead of the normal one (this is just the first impression from the first room). Again, thanks... now back to the game!

Yes, that all sounds exactly the way it should be. I'm assuming you mean that once you had picked up some bullets, the pistol was shooting faster than normal - you should start with zero bullets. As I mentioned earlier, map 3 should tell you for sure whether it is working properly.

Yea, the imps are a lot faster. I just completed the first episode, and im on the "space ship" looking level, En Route, and ive beat it.......almost. the Exit portal has the bars lifted, and i try to walk thru the warp-door looking thing but i stop and cant go any further, like something is blocking it. I dont know how to exit the level. help anyone?

Goat said:

Yea, the imps are a lot faster. I just completed the first episode, and im on the "space ship" looking level, En Route, and ive beat it.......almost. the Exit portal has the bars lifted, and i try to walk thru the warp-door looking thing but i stop and cant go any further, like something is blocking it. I dont know how to exit the level. help anyone?

Map 7 already? You're doing well. Yes, the exit from map 7 (which you have indeed reached) doesn't work properly in Zdoom or Legacy (it's meant to be a teleport exit). This was mentioned in another thread, and is the only problem I know of that STRAIN has in sourceports. Sorry - I should have mentioned this.

Ebola commented: "In legacy you can simply type "exitlevel" in the console and you'll exit the level as if you hit the exit switch.. dunno about zdoom though."

AFAIK, there is no equivalent command in Zdoom. I suggest you just start from map 8 with the pistol again - it's not such a tough map to do that way.

BTW, you may find map 17 a bit of a swine (I'm assuming you're playing on UV or higher). If so, there is a trick I noticed recently to bypass the most murderous areas of that map - rather than killing the arch-vile, you can use it to jump straight to the exit. I have been working on a speedrun based around that (not much luck so far, but only because I have been trying to run straight through a hoarde of bad guys to get a really fast time!).

For ZDoom, type on the console:

changemap map08

That will end the map you are on (with intermission etc) and warp you to map 8 as if you had exited the level.