Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Black Void

Where can I find an editor that....

... converts MOD music into .mus files so I can put'em in my doom level? Or is there just some other way to do it? Some help would be nice...

Some ports, zdoom for sure, will directly play the mod music. Just put the mod file in and give it the standard doom name for the music of that level, that's probably the easiest way. There are ways to tell zdoom what to play for music, even if the music entry in the wad is not a standard doom name like d_runnin. That'd be via the mapinfo lump (text file in the wad by the name of mapinfo) or by a script.

Black Void said:

I did it through the maplump info- it worked! Thanks Biffy!

Damn! A fast learner! Heh, maplump info :D Mapinfo lump. :)

... well, I actually have another question totally unrelated to the music input. I've already mooched off of all the scripts on that Zdoom demo, but I'm still not sure how to do the delayed teleporting (the one that simulates the enemies falling from above). How might I do this? I never found the direct information that told how to do the script... (or function)

At the start of the script, put in a command
delay (35);
which will delay for 35 game tics (tics are 1/35 of a second), so this is a one-second delay. You can also write
delay (70);
or
delay (2*35);
to use a multipler of two times the one second delay. Other multipliers too, it becomes useful when the delay is more than a few seconds long and you find it more convenient to just increase the multiplier than doing the 35x multiplication in advance.

At some point, you might find very small delays useful. The minimum is
delay (1);
which is only 1/35 second.

So.....the idea was to fall over a ledge into a hole, and the lines at the edges of the hole were the teleport trigger. The delay would let you fall for a moment, given a deep enough hole, then the script teleport command would have you appear in the new map area. If you use teleport_nofog, the teleport will be smooth and silent. Then, if you have the teleport destination a bit above the ground in the destination sector, the last motion after you teleport will be the final drop to the ground.

Before teleporting. You cross (fall) over a line, the script starts, nothing happens while you fall for a moment, then the teleport occurs.

Script 1 (void)
{
delay (1*35);
Teleport_NoFog (2);
}

If you have a delay entry after the Teleport_NoFog, you'll never know it, as it will do nothing observable to the player.

Alright! Works like a charm! So like, now, there's only one real zdoom obstacle to conquer- hubs. Now you're probably thinking, "Dear God! Wasn't this thread one thing? Arn't you satisfied! ARGH!" But seriously- this is the last question :-)

About the hubs- how is it done and how do I use a switch to carry over to another level in that same hub? (like level 3, you push a switch, it raises door on level 2...)

Thanks Biffy, you've been a real help!

Black Void said:

Alright! Works like a charm! So like, now, there's only one real zdoom obstacle to conquer- hubs. Now you're probably thinking, "Dear God! Wasn't this thread one thing? Arn't you satisfied! ARGH!" But seriously- this is the last question :-)

Hahaha, no it's not. It's never the last question. :)

I'll leave this question to those with greater in-depth knowledge.

Why don't you get ahold of a wad which uses hubs, or at least one hub, and examine the wad? I mean, use various editors to dissect it and learn by example. Can anyone suggest a "simple" example for him to follow?

Well one thing is certain Biffy- when you see a zdoom level released by Black Void, you'll be pleased to know that you'll be in the special thanks/additional credits :-)

Black Void said:

About the hubs- how is it done and how do I use a switch to carry over to another level in that same hub? (like level 3, you push a switch, it raises door on level 2...)

Hubs are done with mapinfo (see Hexen.wad), and the Teleport_NewMap (map, position) special is used to travel between maps. To open a door on a different level, set up a script with the right commands (as if the door was on the same level) but do the following with the trigger:

ACS_Execute (2, 2, 0, 0, 0)

This runs script 2 on map 2. The script will be delayed until you return to map 2.

Black Void said:

About the hubs- how is it done and how do I use a switch to carry over to another level in that same hub?

To create a hub you need to define it in a MAPINFO lump. You can also add other attributes for a level in the MAPINFO lump. Here is an example:

map map08 "Hole in the Wall"
sky1 sky2 0.0
cluster 2

map map09 "Imperial Penal Colony: Lodai Asteroid"
sky1 sky3 0.0
music D_ROMER2
cluster 2

map map10 "Imperial Moon Base: Tellite Sem"
sky1 sky2 0.0
music D_STALKS
cluster 2

map map11 "Relusian Space Port: Urvek System"
sky1 sky1 0.0
music D_STLKS3
cluster 2

map map12 "Imperial Star Cruiser Ironicus"
sky1 sky1 0.0
music D_AMPIE
cluster 2

map map13 "Sidaar River Canyons"
sky1 sky4 0.0
music D_STLKS2
cluster 2

clusterdef 2
hub
flat GATE3
exittext
"Many, many thanks to Nigel Rowand for putting
these levels through detailed scrutiny and beta
testing them. Without his balanced opinions the
levels would have lacked polish and finesse.

Visit darkesthour.doomcenter.com and send your
comments to ReX: gurkha_boy@yahoo.com"

[Note that this example uses a cluster definition of 2. This is because this is an add-on to another level set that had a cluster definition of 1.]

To trigger an event in one map when you're in another map, use the example that Ultimate Doomer gave you.

Does this make me one of your new friends too? :)

Now I have a hub question.
I have the following in the mapinfo lump of my wad.

map map01 " Mancuship"
sky1 sky1 0.0
par 60
cluster 1
evenlighting

map map03 " UAC private storage"
sky1 sky1 0.0
par 180
evenlighting

clusterdef 1
hub

so level 1 should be a hub right? but when I press the teleport_newmap switch at the end of level 2, (Which takes me back to level one), All the stuff in level one is back to the original state!

Epyo said:

so level 1 should be a hub right? but when I press the teleport_newmap switch at the end of level 2, (Which takes me back to level one), All the stuff in level one is back to the original state!

I believe it's because you forgot to put cluster 1 in map 03.

Black Void said:

I believe it's because you forgot to put cluster 1 in map 03.

Hey it worked!

Hey Epyo- we still have to work on a small Zdoom level pack together, don't forget about that (I like my team efforts...). And now I'm like the Zdoom scripting freak- I know to much...

Ya i figured that could happen once your done with one of the other things you are working on - I know your working on tons of stuff

Actually- I'm just working on two real things. One for the community chest and another that I'm just going to release. The other stuff was just fooling around with Zdoom scripting, so... whenever you're ready, I'll be ready.

Stand by for Daedalus: Alien Defense from TeamTNT. We have four hubs and you can transit between the levels within the hub. Even if your in map #4 in the hub you can go back to map #2, ala Hexen. Transitioning between the maps within a hub is really nice and gives you alot of options. Good luck to you...

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Actually... speaking of hubs, I'm BRINGIN' BACK PIK.WAD! Oh yeah... 6 levels of sheer crap, it'll take me less than two hours to zdoom-i-fy! Why am I doing this? Perhaps you can mooch off of it, but just remember- this is the last time you'll be seeing the piece of crap...

Actually... speaking of hubs, I'm BRINGIN' BACK PIK.WAD! Oh yeah... 6 levels of sheer crap, it'll take me less than two hours to zdoom-i-fy! Why am I doing this? Perhaps you can mooch off of it, but just remember- this is the last time you'll be seeing the piece of crap...

Alright, edit that: It would be one of the worst things to happen to doom2.