Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Crunchynut44

E2M4 DEIMOS LAB Remake

Full Album: http://imgur.com/a/IEsK6

Tested with Pr Boom+ Comp level 9.

Included in the download link is both the remake of the level (played in the E2M4 slot of course) and also an unfinished .mp3 remix of the track 'They're Going To Get You'. Enjoy, and please feel free to share demos as I always enjoy watching them!

Don't forget, most of the level is actually optional, like the original the main focus is exploration and atmosphere!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6jobwk2h7xgl9x4/AAAcGrL6PyCtmDVn8ZVMcmV7a?dl=0

FDA since no one has responded yet. It's 31 minutes long and probably somewhat boring, lots of secret-hunting and standing silently looking at the automap.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/so12e09lav2rw6v/crunchye2m4_rdwpa_fda.lmp

Enjoyed this. Secrets weren't cryptic but were still satisfying to find, except maybe the blur sphere, which idk, doesn't have any sort of utility (I was trying to trigger the secret without grabbing it, but that's probably impossible). Favorite secret design was probably the TV or, idk, many were quite cool -- I like the TV especially because despite being one of the common 'find the switch' puzzles at its core, the presentation makes it more of a 'visual recognition' puzzle. The square-shaped areas held up better relative to the curvy ones in game than in the pic thread, which was my suspicion and part of why I said the feedback in that thread might not be so useful. The combat was quite peaceful, a good thing because I'm too clumsy for anything harder tonight, but occasionally there was a slight burst of action -- LOL my run-in with the YK baron.

Played it through, got about half the secrets. Love it! Detail's great, nice step up in difficulty over the original, completely faithful to the original feel of the level. About as good a remake as you can find anywhere. Everything KDiZD wasn't, really.

One criticism: Having the red key so far away from its switch was un-intuitive. Wandered around for a bit before I saw what that switch did. You'd lose nothing by just sticking the red key up where the switch is.

rdwpa said:

FDA since no one has responded yet. It's 31 minutes long and probably somewhat boring, lots of secret-hunting and standing silently looking at the automap.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/so12e09lav2rw6v/crunchye2m4_rdwpa_fda.lmp

Enjoyed this. Secrets weren't cryptic but were still satisfying to find, except maybe the blur sphere, which idk, doesn't have any sort of utility (I was trying to trigger the secret without grabbing it, but that's probably impossible). Favorite secret design was probably the TV or, idk, many were quite cool -- I like the TV especially because despite being one of the common 'find the switch' puzzles at its core, the presentation makes it more of a 'visual recognition' puzzle. The square-shaped areas held up better relative to the curvy ones in game than in the pic thread, which was my suspicion and part of why I said the feedback in that thread might not be so useful. The combat was quite peaceful, a good thing because I'm too clumsy for anything harder tonight, but occasionally there was a slight burst of action -- LOL my run-in with the YK baron.

Firstly I have to commend you on being the most conservative player I have ever seen, I consider myself somewhat conservative but that has nothing on you :D

You did well to find as many secrets as you did, you were close to finding all of them. Though you spent a lot of time searching for the switch for the comp map, if you had looked over the one edge you weren't looking over (in the same room) you would have discovered it!! I think my favorite part of the demo was you getting the strafe jump right for the RL secret, that and the final caco trap (which also made me realize I shouldn't put the lift trigger right in front of the exit, oops).

Yeah i'm not overly sure why I did the curves, just seemed like the thing to do at the time. Thanks for playing, i'm glad you liked it!

mafyoos said:

Played it through, got about half the secrets. Love it! Detail's great, nice step up in difficulty over the original, completely faithful to the original feel of the level. About as good a remake as you can find anywhere. Everything KDiZD wasn't, really.

One criticism: Having the red key so far away from its switch was un-intuitive. Wandered around for a bit before I saw what that switch did. You'd lose nothing by just sticking the red key up where the switch is.

Thankyou for the kind words they are much appreciated! I'm glad you liked it, well there are 11 secrets in total so finding half is a good effort!

That's true, ill probably just leave it as is but that is something ill be keeping in mind for my future maps. Thanks for playing!

Really cool map man, just the sort of design I like! Nice clean visuals and great homages to the original while adding a bit more polish and detail. I ended up with 95% kills, 6/11 secrets and did it in 18:32. I was hunting around but didn't end up finding them all, but the ones I did find were very clever, like the switch on the marble pillar almost up against the wall or the window that was conveniently within sr40 jumping range. Good stuff!

THIS.
It is just like that "The Ultimate Doom 2" project some guy's currently making, where he makes every doom 2 map mega detailed but still all classicy.
Whoever made this, DO MORE

I really liked this level (and E2M4 is one of my favourite levels heh), I only missed the secret computer map. Too bad you didn't remake also the crusher room :/

Crunchynut44 said:

I think my favorite part of the demo was you getting the strafe jump right for the RL secret

Apparently it's just an easy SR40. All that setup was for a SR50.

A lot of what people see as "conservative" I see as "smart play in an unknown map".

Just played through the old doom recently so thought I would check this out. Here's a FDA:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/h5k88xav8i9n45x/e2m4_mouldy.lmp

I think i must have missed a bunch of stuff, but with all the damaging floor about I didn't feel like exploring much. Still I got a few secrets, including one that I think was a lucky shot at a caco that hit a switch behind it. The switch to lower the red key is kind of weird, you may as well just have the red key there instead. Anyway, interesting take on the e2m4, cheers for that.

Just played this myself, great job! Really felt like it was right out of the original mapset.

I noticed a couple texture misalignments that stood out (in the room with the blood floor and zombiemen down the way and the cacodemons in the elevator area).

It played well from pistol start and the secrets are well hidden. I couldn't find how to get the Chaingun for the life of me.

I'd love to see more Ultimate Doom remakes from ya.

@Doomkid: Thanks for playing man, i'm glad you had fun and liked the visuals!

@rdwpa: Actually if you angle it right you can do a standard run+jump, though its much easier doing SR40 haha.

@Mouldy: Thanks for playing, you actually didn't miss all too much, you only missed one area which is the interconnection between that final exit blood pool and the blue computer hall area. In that first red cross room where you were trying to lower the pillars you literally tip toed around the answer, seriously have a look on doom builder and see how insanely close you got to lowering them. Im also glad you fell for the beating heart trap, I tried to put in a few things like that - that plays off knowledge of E2M4.

@Nevander: Thanks for playing im glad you liked it. Yeah there are a few things like that, there are also a fair few slime trails that I know of but since it's just a single map that will soon fade into doomworld limbo i'm not going to be bothered. I would love to remake the whole E2, who knows maybe one day!

FDA Demo

I love maps like these, and they seem to be hard to find. A lot of fun exploring and trying to find all the secrets (I cheated with IDDT for the last one). The fights were decent, but definitely not the highlight here. Plasma gun makes a lot of them less interesting than they might have been. The misaligned vine textures added to the E2M4 authenticity :)

Very, very nice! Are you Chris Lutz relative? I died once (damaging floors, no clue where to go). My main frustration were so many closed doors which you couldn't open directly.

Unfortunately I have some bad mood to play Doom, so I quit after I died first time. But I must say it looks nice. I wish I made something similar. STONE3 + CEIL4_1 = win.

It's quite good, quite impressive, i love how massive the map is and how atmospheric it is. I got lost for a while and died once trying to find my way out of the red slime lol.

I would love to see more remakes in this style.

Quite a good map indeed. Here's my FDA, in case you are interested: https://www.mediafire.com/?tc5go14etnh1ret

Found 9/11 secrets, the comp map and blur sphere being the ones I wasn't able to solve. I did have the right idea about the blur sphere secret near the end of the demo, and I managed to grab the item without lowering the pedestal anyway so that almost counts as finding the secret right? :)

I'll take a look at this later for my Youtube channel, being a big sucker for the E2M4 motif and song slot..

Hell, I even made my own E2M4 type map before more than once using the same texture style as the original id map.