Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Game soundtracks you keep coming back to

Video game music (particularly from the 8- through to the 64-bit era) has a very distinctive sound, and it's a good bet that the early composers could have never anticipated people sitting around, listening to the music by itself, appreciating it for its aesthetic value. There are soundtracks I keep returning to, though not because they make me nostalgic for the game (although that feeling is certainly there). It's more like, the music has an otherworldly charm to it that lends itself to imaginative soundscapes.

Xargon, in particular, has a very alien, jazzy sort of flavor that is difficult to compare to anything else.

Share yours.

CnC soundtracks are one of the best. This was one of the first games to use streaming music instead of midi or other, and the music guy himself practically fused metal, electronic, and orchestral sounds into great songs. Only thing that could have made it better was the removal of some insong voices, which actually happens in the original games.

I used to listen to the doom soundtrack all the time. I hum a lot a song I really like from Roib58, the super cook keen 4 mod,

Shovel Knight and Shadow of the Colossus two of the games that really stick out to me in terms of memorable soundtracks.

Necros (Andrew Sega) is an electronic music genius. His work on Unreal, Unreal Tournament 99, and the Crusader: No Remorse/Regret games is phenomenal. Also a fan of his colleague Alexander Brandon who did much of Unreal and UT99 as well.

Revenge of Shinobi for the Sega Genesis, by Yuzo Koshiro. Especially the high-quality release as "Super Shinobi and Works".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKv9J08JT3M

GoatLord: That's a cool soundtrack, I've heard of that game but don't know much about it. Sounds like the composer is taking advantage of the FM-synthesis sounds quite a bit instead of just treating it as a replacement for normal instruments, which is always a pleasure to hear. Edit: oh cool it's by Dan Froelich who also did Jill of the Jungle, I was getting a JotJ vibe from it.

MusicallyInspired: Necros is great, do you listen to his non-soundtrack works as well? Coming from the music tracker scene I know he has a ton of compositions.

This has been my go to soundtrack as of 2004. It has blown my socks off more than any other game soundtrack. Absolutely legendary. Lee Jackson's tracks were particularly the best.

Silent Hill's soundtrack. Already 9 years are gone and и still listen Akira Yamaoka and his best inspiration in Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3.

I must say that I'm not a fan of RPG. But these soundtracks will be embedded in my memory.

Not full soundtracks (usually badass songs are mixed with basic background stuff), but:
Tyrian 2000
Golden Axe 3
Wonder Boy 3
Vinyl Goddess from Mars

It's a shame that it's mostly only video games where you can hear "video gamey" music. Why can't there be just normal albums with that kind of music? I understand the whole definition of the genre is quite fuzzy but still.

I absolutely love the Doom 64 and PSX Soundtracks, I like the MIDI Rock of the PC version, But the PSX/D64 soundtrack takes the cake.

The Soundtrack of Diablo 2's ACT 5 is something I listen to every now and then, It is super Epic. The Overworld music is like something out of a WW1/WW2 movie.

tourniquet said:

Shadow of The Beast II

Oh man, 1-3 were all amazing soundtracks. I play those and the Turrican ones a LOT when I'm playing WoW or Guild Wars.

Despite the fact that I hate Rise of the Triad, I have to admit that it has a really awesome soundtrack.
MDK 2 is another game whose soundtrack is just plain awesome, especially the one in the title screen.
And Doom 3DO, of course. :]

Anything by the Adlib wizard known as Stéphane Picq.

Here's a few examples:

Spoiler

Also the TFX soundtrack by Barry Leich.
Spoiler

I'll echo the various Command & Conquer soundtracks, as well.

VVVVVV soundtrack (PPPPPP) by Magnus Pålsson
Spoiler

Cave Story soundtrack by Pixel
Spoiler

And, to move away from chiptuney/synthey soundtracks:

Europa Universalis 3, by Andreas Waldetoff:
Spoiler

Morrowind soundtrack by Jeremy Soule
Spoiler

Ultima series, various
Spoiler

Monkey Island series
Spoiler

I'm also very fond of the Doom, Heretic, and ROTT soundtracks, but I don't think they need embeds here. :p

What a brilliant thread idea. Some good stuff's been posted here.

I'll make a little list for you.

I'll start with Grandia - this was one of the most inspiring RPG games I've played in my youth and to this day is a game I often re-experience. The game takes a while to 'get into' but once you're into it, it holds you tightly gripped to the end. Fantastic musicianship is present throughout the game. The OST is by Noriyuki Iwadare.

-------------------------

Next up is the Pokémon franchise. The Pokémon games have been a part of my life since I was a young child. You'd expect I'd probably post Junichi Masuda's fantastic works, but no, I actually want to post something from the GB's rendition of the trading card game which has, in my opinion, some of the best chiptunes of all time, composed by Ichiro Shimakura.

In my teens I became obsessed with a free MMORPG called Rappelz. At the time it was a very balanced, very fun MMO with the best pet mechanics on the market. It was free, it wasn't 'cash2win', it had a decent player base and was just all round a very enjoyable experience. Sadly that's not true today, but the music is as good as it ever was. I don't know who is responsible for the music sadly, so if you're a google wizard and can find out I'd be both impressed and thankful.

The final one on this list is the Cave Story (Dōkutsu Monogatari). An amazing indie game developed by Daisuke 'Pixel' Amaya. He did everything, the art, the sound, the music... And he did an insanely good job of it. I discovered Cave Story through watching Nitsuja's TAS of the game and instantly fell in love with it thereafter.

This music piece from Resident Evil: Director's Cut is simply brilliant. I listen to it very often and it's, imo, one of the best video game tracks i've ever listened to.

Now this isn't the only game soundtrack which I like, but I just really like Deus Ex Human Revolutions soundtrack.

Super Castlevania 4, the music in that game is beautiful to listen, that game is a masterpiece, if you haven't played it, you don't know what you're missing.
Also the character themes in SSF2, Capcom surely knows how to make good music.

Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile, Secret of Evermore, Suikoden I (not II though), Wild ARMs, Tales of Phantasia have some of my favorites. also Grandia mentioned.

Maybe I should find another genre.

Streets of Rage II - proper acid house:

Plus SkyRoads, and anything Kirby from the 8/16bit era.