Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Game soundtracks you keep coming back to

Piper Maru said:

Sonic 3 OST video

I listen to the Genesis era Sonic soundtracks on the reg. Outstanding songwriting.

I have to throw in a vote for Jeremy Soule's incredible work on the Elder Scrolls series. I think my favourite tracks are in Oblivion. Such beautiful beautiful work.

plums said:

MusicallyInspired: Necros is great, do you listen to his non-soundtrack works as well? Coming from the music tracker scene I know he has a ton of compositions.

Yes, actually I follow him on SoundCloud. I don't like it as much as the game tracks (and non-game MODs) he used to make. I recall he made an announcement saying he was done with his "90s style" composition he used to do and wanted to explore other areas. He's still Necros, but I prefer his older works. I especially love a track for a demo he did called Particle Control. There's a section in the middle that's very ambient and builds and it's absolutely captivating. I chopped it out, threw it on a loop, and put it in Skyrim to cue for the night time and Blackreach parts of the game.

I absolutely adore the soundtracks from the Hotline Miami games. HM2 has probably my favourite soundtrack of any game ever.

Another vote here for Turrican II and the Shadow Of The Beast trilogy.

Also One Must Fall 2097

and Last Ninja III (C64 version)

OMG so good!!!

GoatLord said:

I listen to the Genesis era Sonic soundtracks on the reg. Outstanding songwriting.

Agreed completely. I think the music for the early Sonic games is some of the best gaming music ever.

Sonic 3/K had the best Genesis soundtrack ever. Such excellence. Marble Garden, Ice Cap, Hydro City, Flying Battery, boss theme, miniboss theme (both), end boss theme, Doomsday...Project Chaos is my favourite remix album ever.

There are a bunch I can think of, but my favorite is probably the Sub Terrania soundtrack by Jepser Kyd. Its a really wonderful soundtrack that's stuck with me since I first played the game many years ago.

Edited by Guest

ChekaAgent said:

There was a very obscure FPS called Firestarter. It's break-bit soundtrack is just amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npMw0xDut_4&list=PLAF8A9FC44275773D

This is really good. Hopefully it goes on sale in the GOG summer sale, would be worth buying for the soundtrack alone.

MusicallyInspired said:

Sonic 3/K had the best Genesis soundtrack ever. Such excellence. Marble Garden, Ice Cap, Hydro City, Flying Battery, boss theme, miniboss theme (both), end boss theme, Doomsday...Project Chaos is my favourite remix album ever.

IIRC most of the music for Sonic 3 was written by Michael Jackson, no?

Quake 2 has one of the most badass and listenable soundtracks ever. it's definitely aged well and is one of the main reasons i go back and play the game.

edit: thanks BluePineApple for the embed tip.

plums said:

IIRC most of the music for Sonic 3 was written by Michael Jackson, no?

he was involved in the musical process, but he jumped off it because the Genesis' sound hardware didn't get the sound he wanted. furthermore, Sonic3&K had a team of around 11 composers working on it, if you check the wikipedia page.

durian said:

Streets of Rage II - proper acid house

i have infinite respect for the whole Streets of Rage trilogy's soundtrack. they're just so well done. another good Genesis game's music is Shining Force 2, which has a really massive-sounding synthetic orchestra sound.

To this day the Mega Man X soundtrack is my favorite of all time. I cannot get enough of these tunes. They really set the bar so high that the sequels just couldn't reach it, though X2 did a great job regardless.

It's no mystery that the soundtracks from Final Fantasy games are almost universally praised, but I decided to pick a less obvious choice with this game. It had a big impact on me hearing it as a kid and still holds up very well today, for sure. It's a great example of an entirely orchestral soundtrack that manages to be memorable and hit all the right notes with me, something that modern orchestral/symphonic soundtracks of these day fail to do.

Doomhuntress said:

he [Michael Jackson] was involved in the musical process, but he jumped off it because the Genesis' sound hardware didn't get the sound he wanted. furthermore, Sonic3&K had a team of around 11 composers working on it, if you check the wikipedia page.

Seriously? I thought that he was just kicked out because of his pedophilia scandals.

Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, Doom 64, Doom (2016), Quake, Wolfenstein 3D and BLOOOOOD!

I think Blood's soundtrack is absolutely incredible honestly. As well as for Doom, but the Blood soundtrack is really something awesome to me.

Edited by Guest

bzzrak said:

Seriously? I thought that he was just kicked out because of his pedophilia scandals.

It's complicated, most likely a mixture of both. There was a recent article on the Huffington Post breaking down the situation and interviewing some of the people that had worked closely with Jackson during the Sonic 3 project.