Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maz Hades

New STF faces (bearded badass and tough babe)

no, it was my idea to make a few of the monsters lizard based and i fail to see how that does any damage to the project. at least my proposed designs arent limited to making everything a human or a recolor like several of you want

i meant a lot of people who post in this forum. a lot of people have the idea of making everything a variation of human with weapon even if they dont drop it. that seems worse to me than trying to give each monster its own distinctive appearence

Da Werecat said:

Was it his idea to replace everything with fat unpleasant lizards? If so, it's already too late.

The BBW fetish was Maz's for sure, I wouldn't say it's too late because it never got into Freedoom to begin with.

Ferk said:

For what it's worth, I've never really liked much the face of Freedoom Doomguy when he's idling.

While the quality of the sprite is good, I think it doesn't really fit. I think the problem is in the jaw line.. probably it's based on the shape of the face of a teenager, it doesn't really look like a muscular, grown up experienced badass.

The bearded version was much better in that regard, too bad it's not gonna be accepted.

TBH, I do like the appearance of Karlface. He makes a good contrast with Doomguy's square-jawed military type look. Freedoomguy is more like "What am I doing here & how do I get out if this?"

But I also do like Kulak face. Some of you might not like it, but I think there's no denying that this is a quality piece of art work. And frankly, the moral aspects of the author's behaviour and actions made way after Kulak face was submitted (and rejected for unrelated reasons by the project maintainers) should not in any way affect its quality or artistic value.

There's no justification for Maz Hades's actions that resulted in his ban (although they seem extremely unwise, rather than outright malicious, to me). But he made quite a few very good quality submissions, including not only Kulak face but also a wall switch sprite (the one on the top - the bottom one is already in Freedoom) which, apparently, will also never get included in the project for his reckless misbehaviour.

Frankly, I don't care about his assets. Whatever's already in; sure, but I'd rather the uncommitted stuff be left to rot. That's just me, though, I'm sure others are more willing to look past his character.

Voltcom9 said:

I still think we should include the Pavera face. The asset is high quality and fits well with the art direction of the project. :P
Besides it's better than the existing hud face and has nothing to do with Maz's "other" hud face.

I'll concede there, I do like the hudface. Still, I'd prefer to use as little uncommitted assets from him as possible.

i agree, at this point we dont even know if we have permission to use it. not to mention chungy already declined that asset

Sodaholic said:

Maybe it'd be better if this thread was locked. We don't need any reminders of mister "let's shove an IRL murderer into Freedoom".

I'm gonna second this. As much as I like the Kenshiro/Pavera face we should just move on from what happened. There's not even anything to discuss in this this thread at this point.

raymoohawk said:

i fail to see how that does any damage to the project

I should probably clarify that my original post was phrased differently, and also mentioned Zauberer. Then I edited it to be more neutral, but I was clearly too slow.

I never cared that much about Freedoom, because it started as something unappealing to me (so pretty much every change is a welcome one), but when I was browsing through the Zauberer thread, I noticed a maulotaur suggestion, and it was another giant lizard. I just don't think this stuff belongs in a dark fantasy world, and I don't think the themes should be unified between three games. Although, TBH, Zauberer never gave me an impression of being something as promising as Blasphemer. The reason I was browsing through its thread was to read the reaction to Maz Hades' fat ugly drawings of the main characters, since I vaguely remember it being relatively warm.

i wasnt trying to unify the themes between the games tho, infact i've argued against it.

the malotaur design was the only lizard i proposed for zauberer, my other suggested designs were diferent things

Voltcom9 said:

Besides it's better than the existing hud face

How so? What's wrong with the current face?

Gez said:

How so? What's wrong with the current face?

According to some, it bears an uncanny resemblance to Karl Urban.

Gez said:

And? How is that a problem? http://i.imgur.com/UDEpJrG.gif

The problem _could_ be that the statusbar face is modelled after an actor who didn't give his permission for his involvement in the project. It's also kind of against the spirit of Freedoom's copyleft license.

raymoohawk said:

i agree, resemblance is too subjective, i bet most people wouldnt recognize that as urban's face

TBH, I don't see it either. Certain people seem to have their concerns, though.

DooManic said:

The problem _could_ be that the statusbar face is modelled after an actor who didn't give his permission for his involvement in the project. It's also kind of against the spirit of Freedoom's copyleft license.

Unless it's been traced from a photograph, it shouldn't be an actual issue.

For those interested, here's the original Karl Urban face thread:
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/freedoom/34470-urban-ouchface/

Scuba Steve said:

I would call it, "The Doomguy Face that resembles Karl Urban." I grabbed a few Screenshots off the internet of Karl Urban and scaled them down. The Doomface is so small that Urban lost all his features and I had to completely reconstruct the face by looking at both the Original Doom Face and The Scaled Urban Face to create something similar to both. It's quite a stretch it even looks like Karl Urban anymore. [source]