Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Simulating Latency

While you are playing Doom, let a lot of other programs run on the background doing some real time data intensive tasks.

That will only decrease the frame rate, if anything, but it will not cause input delay or game state/display inconsistency, which is what latency actually does. With latency, game play appears smooth but the player's actions and game state will appear "off" or delayed, and actions may even be undone or end up differently.

rdwpa said:

Are there any ports that allow you to simulate latency in single player, to acclimate to it. If so, how.

Not that I know of. You might be better off looking for a more general purpose tool that can add network latency, rather than something specific to Doom. Under Linux for example there's the 'tc' command which I believe you can use to add deliberate latency to links.

Dumb question: why do you want to do this?

As he said, acclimating to it, or performing research on lag-mitigating features of his own port. In either case, latency simulation should be part of the platform's TCP/IP stack, not an internal feature of any source port.

Yeah, I did the same thing myself (intentionally adding lag) pretty extensively when developing Chocolate Doom's netcode. I can see why ordinary players would want to do the same thing too.