Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Another midi topic (about a program this time)

I've posted about this before but I wasn't quite able to explain what I wanted. I found this in a SNES spc to midi program:

I want to be able to edit what instrument a given track is using at any time, on the fly, one-click only. I was able to do it with an old, old version of cakewalk, close to two decades ago, but installing programs like that is way overkill. Is there anything really lightweight? Too bad that this won't actually open midis.

Cakewalk does it through bank switching. Not really something you can do with one click. You'll have to cut-and-paste the notes into a different channel using software like Anvil Studio.

Pretty sure it's gonna be more complicated than that for SPC conversions. More than likely there's going to be Midi CC automation on most tracks to account for switching instruments on the same channel. Unless the converter is just splitting each sample into its own track rather than retaining the original 8 channel format.

Well it's not going to know what you want by itself- no program will unless it's specifically designed to. Glad it's a help though...midi editing is pretty simple anyway so you shouldn't get any issues for a simple patch change.

invictius said:

You have to scroll through all the instruments until you get the one you want, but it's closer than anything else I've found.

http://imgur.com/a/FBdvV

You can use the filter options in the event list view to narrow down what you want pretty quickly. Just figure out which track you want and go from there. I doubt a program exists that will make it any simpler. As far as I know, most of the software used to edit MIDI data is intended for full-on sequencing.