Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
T-Rex

New version of TTC Doom Nukem now uploaded!

For those who already know, I've uploaded a Duke Nukem 3D mod called TTC Doom Nukem, which is basically Duke Nukem in Doom, with all the levels remade to play just like the originals. Now's the time for me to announce a new version coming up soon. Since my last thread on my mod has been lost in the sea of threads popping up, I thought I'd start fresh with a new one.

Now, for the uninitiated, two versions have been released, and they only had three episodes (with some slight changes in the second version). The new upcoming version, however, has a new one thrown in, with a story to go along with it.

Duke Nukem has defeated The Cycloid Emperor, putting an end to the alien/demon invasion on Earth. A portal opens, and Duke jumps in, believing it to be the way back home, but he then discovers that he has been transported to another world. He is trapped in the home stronghold of the aliens and demons, and the only way out is guarded by a mysterious presence. Duke's mission is to make his way through this hostile world and defeat the guardian to escape, but the aliens and demons have been expecting his arrival, and they're more deadly and dangerous than the forces he dealt with on Earth and space!

Episode 4 will be featuring:
- 11 extremely difficult levels (all remade from Final Doom's The Plutonia Experiment)!
- Lots of devious and nasty traps!
- Spectacular fights against the meanest and toughest enemies Duke will ever face!
- Surprises await you as you make your way through the depths of the alien world!
- Highly challenging in single-play, making this episode the most multiplayer-friendly at the same time!
- As the original Plutonia uses Doom and Doom II music, the episode will strictly use Duke Nukem 3D's.

The mod is now ready for download. Simply click on the link below.
https://www.mediafire.com/?vpbi8kooy0bl8r7

Screenshots for a sneak peak of what you'll see in Episode 4 (No monsters being on display).

http://i.imgur.com/oC99R9R.png
http://i.imgur.com/fclPEEc.png
http://i.imgur.com/MuSGQmq.png
http://i.imgur.com/ZS6mb7a.png

Of course, the episode is Plutonia-based, so it might not be something to brag about, but I thought of giving those who play Duke the warning that it will be very tough (though not to the extent of Duke's Nightmare).

Da Eediot said:

Are there sprites from Duke Nukem in the levels or are the levels just modeled after Duke Nukem levels?

All the maps in this mod for Duke Nukem 3D are levels converted from Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom. Most of the enemies, weapons, and items are from Doom and Doom 2, but some haven't been changed.

T-Rex said:

All the maps in this mod for Duke Nukem 3D are levels converted from Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom. Most of the enemies, weapons, and items are from Doom and Doom 2, but some haven't been changed.

Oh. I thought it was the other way around. I thought it was a Duke Nukem Mod for Doom 2.

T-Rex said:

If I remember correctly, Duke3D shipped with a DOS tool that would convert Doom levels into the Duke3D map format. So what exactly is it you've done here?

fraggle said:

If I remember correctly, Duke3D shipped with a DOS tool that would convert Doom levels into the Duke3D map format. So what exactly is it you've done here?

That's correct. Duke3D has a couple of DOS utilities called Wad2Map and Wad2Art. Wad2Map does exactly what you said, however to make it work, you have to copy it into your hard drive, uncheck the "read only" attribute, then from the command prompt, type in wad2map with the directory you have your Doom games in, then the wad file, and the map you want to convert. For example, if I want to convert Hangar from Doom, I'll type WAD2MAP C:\DOOM\DOOM.WAD E1M1. But that's not all, before you can play the map, you'll have to do some retexturing and sprite changing along with assigning the sector effectors and sector tags. This is because all the sprites and textures are set to what is probably the tables for the sprites and textures in the Doom games. Here is where Wad2Art comes in. By doing the same command parameters you did for Wad2Map minus the level, you'll create a single .art file which is you look it up on EditArt, will show you all of the art data inside. You can import these sprites, textures, and screen backdrops by capturing them through pressing F12, then insert them in the custom .art files stored inside Duke3D's .grp file (Tiles014.art and Tiles015.art), but of course, you'll have to extract those files first through Kextract.

T-Rex said:

That's correct. Duke3D has a couple of DOS utilities called Wad2Map and Wad2Art. Wad2Map does exactly what you said, however to make it work, you have to copy it into your hard drive, uncheck the "read only" attribute, then from the command prompt, type in wad2map with the directory you have your Doom games in, then the wad file, and the map you want to convert. For example, if I want to convert Hangar from Doom, I'll type WAD2MAP C:\DOOM\DOOM.WAD E1M1. But that's not all, before you can play the map, you'll have to do some retexturing and sprite changing along with assigning the sector effectors and sector tags. This is because all the sprites and textures are set to what is probably the tables for the sprites and textures in the Doom games. Here is where Wad2Art comes in. By doing the same command parameters you did for Wad2Map minus the level, you'll create a single .art file which is you look it up on EditArt, will show you all of the art data inside. You can import these sprites, textures, and screen backdrops by capturing them through pressing F12, then insert them in the custom .art files stored inside Duke3D's .grp file (Tiles014.art and Tiles015.art), but of course, you'll have to extract those files first through Kextract.

Wow. It's seems pretty complicated.

Da Eediot said:

Wow. It's seems pretty complicated.

Yeah, it's quite a daunting task, but it was pretty fun at the same time.

I see you've converted the Doom graphics straight to the Duke palette - if ever there were two color palettes that did not work well together, it's Doom's and Duke's. I can help you out with getting the Doom graphics to look better under to the Duke palette, since I have a Doom palette that pulls from Duke's ranges of red, blue, and green primarily, making Doom's graphics more suited for Duke.

I still have yet to create a palette that guarantees a smooth conversion to the Duke palette but this task would be a pretty big one. Still, I could give it a shot. Let me know if you're interested.

Jimmy said:

I see you've converted the Doom graphics straight to the Duke palette - if ever there were two color palettes that did not work well together, it's Doom's and Duke's. I can help you out with getting the Doom graphics to look better under to the Duke palette, since I have a Doom palette that pulls from Duke's ranges of red, blue, and green primarily, making Doom's graphics more suited for Duke.

I still have yet to create a palette that guarantees a smooth conversion to the Duke palette but this task would be a pretty big one. Still, I could give it a shot. Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks for offering to create a palette that will make Doom's graphics look better when converted for Duke, however, it is a little late for that as the release date for the TC is just around the corner, and considering how you said that making a smooth conversion to the Duke palette will take a lot of time and work, it's best that you don't go through the trouble for now. Nevertheless, there's a possibility for a sequel in the future, so I'll be happy to let you know if anything comes up. :)

SavageCorona said:

So is this a Doom or Duke mod?

T-Rex said:

All the maps in this mod for Duke Nukem 3D