Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Silly Demo Categories

Attached is a quick try at a back-it-up demo of Doom 2 map01, recorded in prBoom+ -- the idea is that the back key must be constantly depressed, manually. Not from the very start of the run (having to hold it down as Doom loads might be annoying), but from a half second onward and before any other keys are pressed. Faster times are easily doable, but I bumped into walls and stuff.

Anyway, invent your own formats categories and post some demos, or post demos in silly formats categories others have created. :)

edit: changed "format" to "category" per Memfis's suggestion.

lv01bud09.zip

Cool thread. I think a better word would be "category" because when I read "demo format" I think of *.lmp, *.zdd, extended demo format, things like that.

The 10000% speed demo is surprisingly fun to watch even on the normal speed. :) The only slight problem is that your 10000% might be different from mine due to different computer specs, so as a competitive category it might have some issues. Something like 400% could be better, most computers can probably handle that on simple enough maps?

My favorite weird category is, of course, Ballerina. :)

It's like a skill:
200% - normal
400% - hard
800% - insane
After 800% i didn't noticed any changes in speed. 800% = 1 sec (real time) of 10 secs (demo seconds or game time)
I guess my laptop with Intel 3 and HD graphic 3000 can't handle more...

[22:46] <dew> just saying "i'll give 30 bucks for a uv-respawn tornado on d2m1" seems silly

Pffft not even respawn.

"Constant fire"

It's basically the anti-pacifist.

You have to shoot for the entirety of the run. No weapon-switching allowed, because you can circumvent the spirit of the format by moving your scroll wheel constantly, which now that I think about it is so silly that it should probably be an alt. version. :D

I did a quick run on map02 of the iwad, for which UV-Max is pretty close to constant fire, LOL. Rewatching it it seems like there are occasional tiny pauses between shots, but I really was just depressing m1 for the whole run. Odd.

lv02cf144.zip

Has anyone tried the "stealth" mode? You lose a point of health every time you wake up a monster. To survive you would probably need to lure some monsters into soundproofed rooms, so that you can kill them without making noise.

Alternatively, just have the player lose health every second that the player is visible to the monsters. Invisibility protects from the effect.

scifista42 said:

Not sure if this is silly enough, but...

this is very cool but to be a valid sub-category it needs a more catchy name. unfortunately i cant think of anything :( maybe this should be called 'collector' above the current collector sub-cat? :p

I always thought playing/recording in double speed without sprinting (except where needed, obviously) was an entertaining twist on the traditional OP player-movement.

rehelekretep said:

this is very cool but to be a valid sub-category it needs a more catchy name.

"Picky" / "Picky Killer" ?

Here is a casual playthrough of the first three levels of D2 (I don't remember secrets for 4 and beyond so well) with that.

It was so empty. I was wondering at times if I could manage to kill enough monsters while still advancing somewhat quickly.

s1fr_lol.zip