Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
IMJack

Greeced

Does anyone here know Greek? This site was submitted to FARK. Something about the Greek gov't carpet-banning ALL computer, arcade, and console video games as well as banning Internet cafes. Suckage. Thoughts? Translations?

IMJack said:
Does anyone here know Greek? This site was submitted to FARK. Something about the Greek gov't carpet-banning ALL computer, arcade, and console video games as well as banning Internet cafes. Suckage. Thoughts? Translations?

Any resion for it? I mean that is completly over the top for any contrary.

Ct_red_pants said:

Any resion for it? I mean that is completly over the top for any contrary.

No idea. I can't read the site and I'm running off the description the guy put on FARK.

That's really retarded IMO. I don't see why any country would do that. Did someone shoot up another school again? Oh shit... Naw just kidding. To be serious though, that seems a bit... unorthodox... (is the right word to use?)

Well, glad it's not the US, but I wouldn't be suprised if it does happen here. I'd say in about 10-20 years or so the "unthinkable" will happen, and when it does, I bet someone will try and do something about it. But of course, with little luck, the government wins.

Lizardcommando said:

Well, glad it's not the US, but I wouldn't be suprised if it does happen here. I'd say in about 10-20 years or so the "unthinkable" will happen, and when it does, I bet someone will try and do something about it. But of course, with little luck, the government wins.

Aheheh. No. I think a quote ripped from the Register says it the best:

Andrew Orlowski in London bootnoted:
The reporter in all seriousness asked me if this meant the web should now be closed down. I replied that this would be like closing down the bus network simply because shelters were being graffitied.

Hypothetically speaking, is it even possible in any conceivable way to close the internet? Don't answer that.

/me answers anyway

Seriously answering here, I don't think there's a way to really, once and for all, shut the internet down permenantly. Someone would make their own little internet, then more people would do the same thing, then before you know, it's the internet all over again.

Hey cool! Someone deleted that one stupid post I made here. Err... Back on Topic though, isn't closing down the internet a nearly impossible task to do? There's so many people using it everyday and there's so many websites today. If they had an army of hackers (maybe 200 or so) to close every single website, how long would it take to close down the entire internet?

Lizardcommando said:

Hey cool! Someone deleted that one stupid post I made here. Err... Back on Topic though, isn't closing down the internet a nearly impossible task to do? There's so many people using it everyday and there's so many websites today. If they had an army of hackers (maybe 200 or so) to close every single website, how long would it take to close down the entire internet?

A squillion years.
For every server that was crashed or otherwise shut down, another would be set up. It's far too widespread (if that's the appropriate term) to be removed - like a cancer with it's tendrils round every part of the brain (heh, bet them anti-techno-types are loving the imagery).

The only feasible means of destroying the internet would probably be too desructive to be economically feasible. (I'm talking EMP bombs and severe power shortages).

The backbone of the Internet, the master servers that truely unite the world, are kept and run by three kinds of groups (at least in the U.S.): the universities, the corporations, and the armed forces. Anybody who wants to shut down the internet gets to go through all three. Which is the most dangerous? :)

Lizardcommando said:

...isn't closing down the internet a nearly impossible task to do? ... If they had an army of hackers (maybe 200 or so) to close every single website, how long would it take to close down the entire internet?

Surely a massive release of virulent e-mail worms and viruses could bring the 'net to a grinding halt. With a major government backing such a plan, perhaps it could go on indefinitely.

BTW, Yahoo has a story about China blocking Google:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020902/wr_nm/internet_china_google_dc_1

The backbone of the Internet isnt the servers, its the networks. There are hundreds of redundant routes for packets to take through the Internet, so if you destroy one network the packets just go through a different network instead. Remember the Internet was designed as a commnication system built to survive a nuclear attack.

OK, I read this on BeyondUnreal, so...

Basically, in an attempt to wipe out gambling, the Greek goverment is cracking down on ANYTHING that can be betted on or used to gamble, like computer entertainment, videogame consoles and portable games, with a hefty fine and jail time for those that violate the laws.

True.

It's simple, just send blocks of cheese to everyone on earth. But the cheese is evil cheese, and..... ah, nevermind.

Trasher][ said:
OK, I read this on BeyondUnreal, so...

Basically, in an attempt to wipe out gambling, the Greek goverment is cracking down on ANYTHING that can be betted on or used to gamble, like computer entertainment, videogame consoles and portable games, with a hefty fine and jail time for those that violate the laws.

True.

Hey, does that mean you will be arrested for carrying a deck of cards? Or that Greece will not ever be able to host a World Cup?

Isn't this rather similar to how the church feebly tried to eradicate gambling in the middle ages? Man, they even had a hard time keeping it out of the cloisters. How are anyone going to succeed today?

Ct_red_pants said:

BeyondUnreal? I'd say it's beyond moronic!

They will not survive my new world order.

Whenever I hear that phrase, I think of Ministry.

Submerge said:

It's simple, just send blocks of cheese to everyone on earth. But the cheese is evil cheese, and..... ah, nevermind.

The pie is also evil.