Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

Is it possible to also alter the weapon appearance of a custom skin? Or is it only for replacing the appearance of Doomguy himself without effecting the appearance of the weapons? Not all-new weapons altogether - the same weapons but under a new appearance to appear alongside a new skin...not sure if that makes any sense.

[EDIT] Actually never mind; I think I've got another idea in mind.

This would be possible if you made them as classes, much like Hexen. Sure, under the hood they're entirely new weapons, but functionally they could be made to work identically. :)

Couple random questions.

1. I made this 3d floor that crushes stuff but it looks a bit wonky after it has crushed something. Is there a way to fix this?
http://www.mediafire.com/download/nv5l5qr21s1n7d6/3dcrusher.wad

2. How do I create a mine type enemy that will spawn an another enemy when it is triggered. It triggered by the player getting near. If the player just shoots the mine without triggering it the mine just dies and does nothing.

3. How to make it so that player can only carry small amount of guns (like in cod)

I can't seem to get my custom sprites to show up in DB2. Here's an example of one:

ACTOR TreeSpooky1 801
{
	//$Category decoration
	//$Sprite TSP1A0
	//$Title "Tree Spooky 1"
	Game Heretic
	SpawnID 801
	Height 40
	Radius 36
	+SOLID
	States
	{
	Spawn:
	  TSP1 A -1
	  Stop
	}
}
I can see them in game, I can place them in the editor, but their sprite wont actually appear and it won't go into the category I'm trying to specify. It's just showing up as a black question mark. What am I doing wrong?

What do you mean by "their sprite wont actually appear" when you said you can see them in game? it may be an issue with your offsets, sprite name, or if you aren't mapping vanilla then possibly sprite format.

I mean that in Doombuilder itself if I place the Thing I'm not able to see it by its name and sprite.

Afaik I am mapping vanilla. Just " Heretic " format, not ZDoom or anything like that.

Edit:

This is what I am seeing:

But as I mentioned, they work fine in game. It's just a nuisance because I'd like to be able to see the actual sprite in the editor for ease of placement instead of guess & checking all the time.

Miss Bubbles said:

Afaik I am mapping vanilla. Just " Heretic " format, not ZDoom or anything like that.

That's it.

Doom Builder does not parse DECORATE files for the vanilla configs.

Gez said:

That's it.

Doom Builder does not parse DECORATE files for the vanilla configs.

So in other words, and sorry if this is a dumb question because I'm fairly new to WAD editing, it's impossible to do what I'm trying to do without mapping in a ZDOOM configuration?

Yes, you'll have to use a ZDoom configuration (there should be a ZDoom Heretic-in-Heretic or Heretic-in-Doom format that'll be the same as what you're using except also ZDoom stuff like DECORATE actors) or you'll have to make a custom config where you directly add your actors to DB's config files.

Marscaleb said:

How do I delete lines in Doom Builder?

Everything I try winds up deleting the whole sector.

You need to be in linedefs mode.

If you want to delete a 2-sided linedef between 2 different sectors: Join or merge the sectors before deleting the linedef.

If you want to delete a 1-sided linedef: If both of the linedef's vertices are connected to more than two 1-sided linedefs or more than zero 2-sided linedefs, you can't delete the linedef. If at least one of the vertices isn't, you can go to vertice mode and delete the vertice (not directly the linedef). If you have a pillar made purely of 1-sided linedefs and placed completely within a single sector, you can go to linedef mode, select the entire pillar and delete it at once.

Deleting linedefs in any other way than described above results in unclosed sectors.

I'd like to replace the Romero Head monster's sprite with a different sprite from Doom II (not custom).
Is there some easy way to achieve this while staying vanilla compatible?

Using Doom Builder + SLADE.

Yes, via a DEHACKED patch. Download WhackEd4, make a new .deh file, go to States table, find state 778 (Romero head's idle animation frame) and subsequent states, and edit them to change their Sprite and/or Frame. Then import the .deh file into your wad as a new lump and name this lump "DEHACKED". If you are playing in an advanced source port, the DEHACKED will apply automatically. If you are playing in Chocolate Doom, either use -dehlump command line parameter, or load the .deh file itself via -deh command line parameter. And if you are playing in actual vanilla, you must use a DOS program called Dehacked to hack vanilla Doom's executable to apply the .deh patch on it, and only then play it.

I use DoomBuilder 2 for my maps, and I'm very comfortable with it and would prefer not to change it. However, I want to change the name of my level from the default (hangar, etc), maybe change which music plays (say i want e1m4's music even though it defaults to e1m1), and change the par time. Is there an easy way to do this?

untilitdies said:

I use DoomBuilder 2 for my maps, and I'm very comfortable with it and would prefer not to change it. However, I want to change the name of my level from the default (hangar, etc), maybe change which music plays (say i want e1m4's music even though it defaults to e1m1), and change the par time. Is there an easy way to do this?

If you are mapping for vanilla, then I am not sure. for zdoom however then you cajn use a mapinfo lump. see http://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO to get you started. it needs to be included inside of your wad or pk3.

For vanilla Doom, you can create a dehacked patch with WhackEd4.
Go to the Strings table and scroll down untill you find the entries where map names are stored. (Starting around Index 650 I think)
Change the titles as you wish and save your .deh.

I don't think you can just reassign music in vanilla Doom.
However, using SLADE you can extract any .midi/.mus from the IWADs and import it into your PWAD.
Then rename it to match the song you want to replace.
MIDI lump names can be found in the wiki: Doom - Doom II

So for your example you'd extract D_E1M4 from Doom.wad, import it into your own PWAD and rename it to D_E1M1.
Hope that's somewhat understandable. No idea about par times, tho. ^^"

Par times use DEH too, IIRC.
About level name, you will also have to replace the corresponding graphic from the IWAD (i think is starts with CWIL, but I'm absolutely not sure), so that the intermission screen disllays the correct name.

bzzrak said:

Par times use DEH too, IIRC.
About level name, you will also have to replace the corresponding graphic from the IWAD (i think is starts with CWIL, but I'm absolutely not sure), so that the intermission screen disllays the correct name.

WIL for Doom/Ultimate Doom levels, CWIL for Doom II/Final Doom levels.

The number will be one less than the actual level: MAP01 has CWIL00, MAP32 has CWIL31.

Why I'm getting "invalid identifier" -error with this?:

int GCE = 10; 

script "lol" open
{
	GCE--;
	if (random (0,10)>= GCE)
		{
			Print(s:"lol"); //this line gives me the error
		}
	Delay (35);
	Restart;
}

Interesting. Try changing the script's name ("lol script" or whatever) and see if it fixes it.

I #include "zcommon.acs" and tried changing the name.

I don't get the error if I just compile the script. I only get the error when trying to test it.

edit: It somehow works now.

Probably because, after you changed the script, you didn't compile it before testing. You tested the game, but it was still loading the old compiled script, and only then you compiled the script within the SCRIPTS editor, which actually replaced the old compiled script with the new one, so that the next test worked.

I've never had to compile a script before testing for it to work. Is there some box I have ticked in Doom Builder, or is it something with older versions of Doom Builder? Strange.

AwesomeO-789 said:

I've never had to compile a script before testing for it to work. Is there some box I have ticked in Doom Builder, or is it something with older versions of Doom Builder? Strange.

A script that's not compiled is a script that the engine will never see, so yes you always had to compile before testing. It's probably just that you didn't notice you were compiling the script...

AwesomeO-789 said:

I've never had to compile a script before testing for it to work.

I doubt that very much. As Gez said, it's possible a previous editor you used had the word save in place of compile?

Nope. I don't have to click ANY buttons in the script editor to make new script additions work in testing mode.

The only save feature related to the scripts are when I use the save button at the top left of Doom Builder's screen, it'll ask me to save the wad a second time if I've made changes to the script.

However I don't need to save like that to get the scripts to work in testing mode.

I've been mapping for Zdoom and UDMF formats and running the game in gzdoom.