Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I made maps.
Check them out.
That is all.

"My Weird Map Collection"
A collection of 30 weird maps where the antagonist is a dark grey sign with white calibri text and the only way out is to follow the directions of The Game.

----February 25th::Version 15
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1aZFlgtpHHOaE4xUE1Gc3Ztd2c

Made for Doom II, has some custom textures but they're sort of context sensitive and not very useful. If you see any missing textures please tell me about it

I made it for GZDoom and Zandronum, but it works best in Zandronum. Idk if it works for prboom or chocolate or not.. it probably doesn't work for ZDoom given that it has 3D Sectors and such.

You need to enable Mouselook in order to enjoy it to the fullest extent but you shouldn't ever need to JUMP. If jumping is in your playstyle than it won't break anything but it's not required.

As of right now it's done forever. If you think any levels are severely unbalanced or there are any bugs or anything than tell me about it but otherwise I'm never touching this ever again!..

Tell me what you think.

The convention is to state what port the maps are tested in and designed for. For example "prBoom+, Boom format" or "GZDoom, UltraBrewtal Brewtaiity Doom: Brutal Edition" or "Chocalate Doom, vanilla". Et cetera.

For people who have demonstrated that they know to test in the right port for the stated format, mentioning the ports isn't always necessary, especially for small releases -- but first maps should generally state both.

Screenshots also help. Without compatibility info and screenshots, it's unlikely anyone will download or comment on your maps.

To be blunt it was bad. Besides all the obvious reasons there is no progression, it's kinda like take a shotgun and kill a room of cacos without any scenery. Just a bland bunch of rooms with the same textures. You need a better progression, more interesting scenery and less awkward/boring fights. Also a few elevators took too long to arrive. If you want to get better you need a lot of work but if this is just an experiment good job, my first maps probably looked the same as this one :)

I got stuck on map10, but I think that was the point.

I'm glad that one of the textures told me that I needed to crouch.

I found the whole thing more amusing than I should have, probably.

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

To be blunt it was bad. Besides all the obvious reasons there is no progression, it's kinda like take a shotgun and kill a room of cacos without any scenery. Just a bland bunch of rooms with the same textures. You need a better progression, more interesting scenery and less awkward/boring fights. Also a few elevators took too long to arrive. If you want to get better you need a lot of work but if this is just an experiment good job, my first maps probably looked the same as this one :)

What suggestions do you have for better/entertaining fights? These are my first actual maps so I'm not very good at level design yet.

Yeah I'm sorry about the blandness of the textures. I sort of wanted to focus on everything else either than that, so I chose a style that I would just repeat.

TBH most of of the effort went into random little things like those textures with words or that level with the lava.

This was just an experiment in level design. I wanted to get used to the Doom engine so I was trying to put as many things I was confused about into a WAD, things like custom text or teleporting or even... keys

Benjogami said:

I got stuck on map10, but I think that was the point.

I'm glad that one of the textures told me that I needed to crouch.

I found the whole thing more amusing than I should have, probably.

I'm sorry which map is that again? I don't have access to doom builder right now and I don't want to play through it all

EtherBot said:

What suggestions do you have for better/entertaining fights? These are my first actual maps so I'm not very good at level design yet.

Yeah I'm sorry about the blandness of the textures. I sort of wanted to focus on everything else either than that, so I chose a style that I would just repeat.

TBH most of of the effort went into random little things like those textures with words or that level with the lava.

This was just an experiment in level design. I wanted to get used to the Doom engine so I was trying to put as many things I was confused about into a WAD, things like custom text or teleporting or even... keys

Yeah no problem, I'm not a very good mapper in many's opinion but I can tell you a few things. First interesting battles have places you can run and hide, instead of a blank room how about a pillar? That's really simple or you can make ditches and hallways that flank around the room, if you expanded on the room with the chaingun on MAP01 it could be a better fight, just think about what's entertaining and play others people's maps, find what inspires you

EtherBot said:

I'm sorry which map is that again? I don't have access to doom builder right now and I don't want to play through it all

map10 is the last level. It says "welcome to the game" and there's one imp. I couldn't find where to go next. I tried going back into the starting elevator and using the keypad/button thing, but that just made the elevator go higher, there was some HOM, and I got stuck.

Also you can type "idclev10" in-game to skip to map 10. B)

I played up to map03 so far. Those spider comments amused me greatly.

Regarding fight design, I'd recommend just playing good wads and thinking about why you find them fun, what they do well. You can ask more specific questions about what makes a good encounter (okay, many possible answers because that's a really broad question), but it'll help more to get a good feel for it first.

Well, as these are your first maps, I say they are not really bad. I have just played all the levels. Yeah some lifts take too long to appear, just don't make such lift. Play more and more levels and see how they are designed, how they are balanced. Making GZDoom based maps is really fun, those 3d floor, bridge etc. and if you can make them with good design, they will make your map look more good.

I am also making my first map, it's still on progress ;) I will look forward to see your maps more designed, so keep doing your best. Good luck man :)

oh yeah, one more thing. Adding monsters from realm667 is another good idea, so try putting some of them on your map.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1aZFlgtpHHOTTRWakVmLVJaYkE/view?usp=drivesdk

Hey I've made some progress... by that I mean "more levels" not "I fixed the older ones"

Anyway I've run into a problem. After beating map 10 and transitioning into map 11 the game says 'no player 1 start' (I call it map111 now because I thought that might help but nothing changed)

The loading screen says the right name too, the level associated with Map 111 is called Elevator Shaft and the loading screen says its loading Elevator Shaft but then the error pops up.

There IS a player 1 start in map111. If you load map111 from the console the level starts like normal too, it only has an error when progressing from map10... I don't understand, help!!

the map says: ACS script unloaded. I think you haven't done something like making ASC script (I don't really understand what is it but in Slade 3 when I opened your map I haven't found any script for map 111).

I have played map111 using command prompt and successfully completed it. I have played map 12 too and it looks cool :)

Yousuf Anik said:

the map says: ACS script unloaded. I think you haven't done something like making ASC script (I don't really understand what is it but in Slade 3 when I opened your map I haven't found any script for map 111).

I figured out that in the previous level I set a start position in the end switch so when there was no "player 1" in that position is was all confused.

Anyway that problem is fixed, it all works now. What did you think then of the newer maps? Any feedback?

Well the newer maps look good too, specially map 12 is cool, battle on rooftops. Why don't you add some monsters on map 111? It will be fun to play then :)

If you like weird meta maps then I guess these are "I played through them" out of 10 for a new mapper.

"bugs"
In map 5 (the one where you see the first cyberdemon with the block coming out of the ceiling) you can totally cheese the cyber by just hiding behind the cover and crouching.

In map 10 you have used lines to trigger the script that raises the floor. Problem with this is that it possible to trigger raising of the floor multiple times because player has 4 lines to walk over. It would be better if there was only one line or "sector action" -thing (with standstill) to trigger the script.

illuknisaa said:

If you like weird meta maps then I guess these are "I played through them" out of 10 for a new mapper.

"bugs"
In map 5 (the one where you see the first cyberdemon with the block coming out of the ceiling) you can totally cheese the cyber by just hiding behind the cover and crouching.

In map 10 you have used lines to trigger the script that raises the floor. Problem with this is that it possible to trigger raising of the floor multiple times because player has 4 lines to walk over. It would be better if there was only one line or "sector action" -thing (with standstill) to trigger the script.

Here's another update.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1aZFlgtpHHOTTRWakVmLVJaYkE/view?usp=sharing

In the map with the zigzaggy 3d floor and all those cacodemons (map 8) I fixed the 3d floor to make it look BETTER, everything else in that level is still kind of off, and I need to make the cyberdemon fight more fun.

The block in that level was put there expressly that purpose so I feel like we're sort of operating in different wave-lengths here..

I made it so the elevator button in map 10 needs to be intentionally pressed in order to go up a floor.

Somebody suggested that I put some enemies in map 111 but eeehh.... idk about that.

Not much has changed in map 12, but hopefully you shouldn't prematurely finish the level anymore for no reason.

I made two newer levels now, 13 and 14. Well.. 1 1/2

UPDATE:: Here's another even newer update. I haven't changed much but there are now 17 maps

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1aZFlgtpHHORFhTTUp2REdIcVU/view?usp=sharing

I love this. All of this. And I don't know why.

It could be the charming text, or the goofiness of it all, but I really enjoy this. The only thing you should fix is some of the texturing, and maybe have some better architecture (my opinion, you could keep it like this and I'd still like it, but strange abstract rooms can turn away players who think there's nothing really cool in this .WAD) but otherwise, I find all of this fun and charming. And, it has some really cool things in most of the maps. They're all unique in their own ways, and I especially liked when I was about to fight a baron and the ceiling came down, creating a arena.

Also, the elevator part, while long, gave me enough time to write this post, so I didn't mind it. :D

(EDIT: I didn't notice that the elevator wasn't even ascending. Quite a puzzle, I have to say.)

On 6/19/2016 at 1:49 PM, SuperSimsam said:

I love this. All of this. And I don't know why.

I don't know why either

It could be the charming text, or the goofiness of it all, but I really enjoy this. The only thing you should fix is some of the texturing, and maybe have some better architecture (my opinion, you could keep it like this and I'd still like it, but strange abstract rooms can turn away players who think there's nothing really cool in this .WAD) but otherwise, I find all of this fun and charming. And, it has some really cool things in most of the maps. They're all unique in their own ways, and I especially liked when I was about to fight a baron and the ceiling came down, creating a arena.

Thank you! The text was the most interesting part of making this so far, it's really fun to think of weird stuff for the signs to say.

I'm really bad at texturing things nicely, I always look at other people's maps like "woah this looks nice!" but when I try to make it look good it's off somehow.. I try to incorporate that into the game though which is why this ended up being all surreal and goofy.

I feel like level design isn't my strongsuit but I personally thought my levels were fun so it's nice to know at least one other person also thought so.

Also, the elevator part, while long, gave me enough time to write this post, so I didn't mind it. :D

(EDIT: I didn't notice that the elevator wasn't even ascending. Quite a puzzle, I have to say.)

Yeah the elevator that looks like it's going up but actually isn't happens twice in the game... (the second time it's like a blood filled hole in the ground) but idk I like that puzzle, for some reason it always ends up in my games.

Anyway thanks for the comments, feedback is immensely useful on a beginners maps like this.

Edited by EtherBot

Also, what tool did you use for the level names? I've never really found one like it.

(The reason i'm asking is because I see all the unedited levels are named --. That shows that you used some program of some sort to do that, and I'd like to know, as it would be extremely helpful, as I'm working on some maps myself!)

EDIT: Also, how did you edit the text screen? Yano, the one that happens on MAP07?

SuperSimsam said:

(The reason i'm asking is because I see all the unedited levels are named --. That shows that you used some program of some sort to do that, and I'd like to know, as it would be extremely helpful, as I'm working on some maps myself!)

Haha.

No that's precisely why I named those levels --

There is no program

EtherBot said:

Haha.

No that's precisely why I named those levels --

There is no program

That's kinda fun actually :D I am beginning to like weird maps, haha :D are you making more maps?

Yousuf Anik said:

That's kinda fun actually :D I am beginning to like weird maps, haha :D are you making more maps?

Probably

I finished level's 19 and 20, which is all I intend to make for this WAD.

I'm going to take a break from Doombuilder for a while and mess around with the source engine some more... BUT! If you notice any bugs or missing textures or some awkward segments of gameplay point them out to me and I'll check it out.

So peculiar. I need to check this out once I resume existence becaise I'm not quite available but what you say has this feel of good in it.

I don't know what the rules are posting on old forums, but I'd like to say thanks for all your guys' feedback. It was actually super helpful and not at all mean spirited. So props to you guys, this community is great