Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doom 2016 already marked down to $40 on Amazon

Doom 2016 is already marked down to $39.99 on Amazon across the three platforms, assuming you order a physical copy (which is effectively a downloadable copy on PC anyway, at least). Is that... usual? It seems awfully quick for a $20 markdown. Did the game fall far short of their sales expectations?

Wow, that does seem very unusual just a month from release. The fact that they also recently released a demo tells me that sales probably didn't meet expectations, which would be a damned shame.

Just remember all the goddamn loads of advertisements this game marketed. Hell, i have a Big Gulp Doom cup that i'm sipping right now!

They gotta pay all that back somehow. A drop in price tags may do the trick.

I wanna say "I called it!" because i said before release that lack of true mod support will kill the game early on and lead to price drop in a pathetic attempt to recoup the massive losses from their stuttering cluster fuck of a failure and that deniers and apologizers were nutthuggin id/Bethesda hard core, but i wont. I don't need to at this point.

This happens to a lot of games I see and it happens a lot sooner. Places like Amazon seem to be the first. Places like Walmart follow up but a lot later and by the way I'm referring to console sales

Their pseudo "shareware" post release Demo and Amazon price drop does suggest Sales are lacking expectations. Many of my friends and some of my family were reasonably interested in Doom but didn't purchase a copy (except my immediate family who I practically hyped up for them). They just needed that push except as time goes on their interest may fade with it.

There is still hope though, I believe once Snapmap gets a big update and Multiplayer provides what the masses wants then it's still capable to receive positive publicity from gaming networks and many fence sitters may have the "well now I'm glad I waited, the game should be perfect and I can get it cheaper" attitude and make the purchase.

I was always doubtful that they would be able to recuperate the money lost during the entire floundering period between RAGE and the Doom 4 project reboot. This game would have to do extremely well, perhaps. But there's really no knowing for sure at this time.

I've seen countless people say that they were going to "wait for the price drop". I would say you should probably expect things like this. Unless your game is call of duty

Nineball said:

I wanna say "I called it!" because i said before release that lack of true mod support will kill the game early on and lead to price drop in a pathetic attempt to recoup the massive losses from their stuttering cluster fuck of a failure and that deniers and apologizers were nutthuggin id/Bethesda hard core, but i wont. I don't need to at this point.

lol

Nineball said:

The lack of mod support does suck, but do you really think we'd have any notable mods just a month after release? I don't think mod support was a factor at all.

Nineball said:

lol^2

chubz said:

The lack of mod support does suck, but do you really think we'd have any notable mods just a month after release?

To promote XCOM 2, Firaxis asked Long War Studios - the modding team behind the much-beloved Long War mod for XCOM: Enemy Unknown - to make mods for their upcoming game. Some of them were even available on release day!

That'd be a great idea if

a) Most of the Doom modding community weren't idtech1-oriented.

b) The largest-scale Modern Doom project that comes to mind, D3 Phobos, moves like a glacier on a bad day in terms of being released over the 10 years of its existence. In comparison Long War was out of beta in 3 years and worked on by like, 56 people.

Bodes so well for any upcoming dlc/expansion sp content. We are gonna get the continuation of the vega / hayden story and hell on earth and the icon of sin, as well as a prequel with the titan fight and 10 other games in this new franchised series.

Or NOT.

PS Are these 2 MP dlc's gonna cost people too or are they free? If they aren't free, what a joke .... Making people pay for a fix to a game mode they don't want.

Nineball said:

I guess we need to award you with a cookie now. A pat in the back?

MusicallyInspired said:

The fixes, free-for-all modes, SnapMap additions, etc are free. The DLC will not be free. I don't know what it consists of, though.

lol pay for mp dlc, disgrace

MusicallyInspired said:

Hey, don't buy it.

Oh you bet, I definitely won't. I'm not one of those who says something and does otherwise.

It's just sad a game mode most ppl in doom community don't care about needs fixing and we have to pay for it when it should have been like that at release. Also makes me feel robbed of 1/3 of what I payed for, as I never touched and never will touch mp and if I wanted to it was unfinished and just plain rubbish according to most sources. Yuck. Doom is sp and we should be getting multiple sp dlc's that I will gladly throw all my savings at. Sp campaign does feel short with 13 levels.

You gotta wonder why multiplayer modes get shoehorned in these essentially single-player games. I do not think anyone really cared about those in Doom 3, Quake IV and RAGE, yet somehow Doom 2016 had to have them as well.

You would think after the success of The New Order, the folks at Id and Bethesda would have been realised games do not always need a multiplayer component.

I Think they're trying to fix it up, FFA is most thing Doom Multiplayer needed in my opinion, though i disliked Loadouts a bit first time i'm getting used to it .
EDIT : I Believe the old Bots system and Server browser will bring more players to MP too, Since some were unable to join Netgames for some reason .

The only games that dont drop in price shortly after release are the 5 Star Games, the ones known as must-haves whether you like them or not, and Nintendo games. Yearly released "AAA" franchises dont go on sale to quick either, but they also arent even on the market a year after release.

The only reason to even buy a game on release anymore is because of the exclusive pre-order DLC. Collectors Editions are always available and on sale well after release, a new game comes out every month, MP dies quickly in most games and SP Campaigns dont last long.

Just looking at the PS4's upcoming release schedule for the year, Final Fantasy XV is the only one that wont be on sale for $40 or less by the end of the year, assuming averages over an 8.5 out of 10 score. Battlefield 1 will probably get a $35 Black Friday sale a month after launch and that game should sell a lot.

Even Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain was $40 not long after release. Unless the game drops to $20 quickly. is constantly one of the best digital sales available or isnt even available in stores after the first or second shipment then the game has likely hit its minimum mark.

massivefanofdoom said:

Oh you bet, I definitely won't. I'm not one of those who says something and does otherwise.

It's just sad a game mode most ppl in doom community don't care about needs fixing and we have to pay for it when it should have been like that at release. Also makes me feel robbed of 1/3 of what I payed for, as I never touched and never will touch mp and if I wanted to it was unfinished and just plain rubbish according to most sources. Yuck.

Did you not read my post?

MusicallyInspired said:

The fixes, free-for-all modes, SnapMap additions, etc are free. The DLC will not be free. I don't know what it consists of, though.

I don't know what the DLC consists of, but my impression was just more content. The fixes and gamemodes are free.

I got Doom pre-owned for $31 at Gamestop for my Xbox One. I have to say I'm REALLY FUCKING HAPPY ABOUT IT!

Not to mention that I heard I got the LAST AVAILABLE COPY in my area. It was sold out in every single store across New Jersey man.

EVERY SINGLE GAMESTOP!

For real!

It's selling off the shelves like hotcakes!

Then again, it must be because it's old-school, fast-paced, brutal, and relentless.

It's a breath of fresh air, and I think the sales figures will skyrocket once the MP is improved by id Software, and SnapMap gets a few new updates. :D

Anyway, I can't wait to play the CAMPAIGN! :D

MusicallyInspired said:

Did you not read my post?

I don't know what the DLC consists of, but my impression was just more content. The fixes and gamemodes are free.

It's more multiplayer, the free 'fixes' are small things that should've been there at release. And most of the new mp content is this one we are paying for. Which should have again been there at release.

Me and a lot of players dont even care for mp *sigh*