Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
untilitdies

My Super Good Opinion On New Doom (And Questions!)

It was fucking amazing.

Spoilers below, as I'm assuming you've finished the game.

Everything about this game was fantastic. I was worried it was going to get the "Modern FPS" treatment; lots of taking cover for regenerating health, lots of hallways, but I was pleasantly surprised. Maps were of course not as intricate as the original games, but that was to be expected; they were still fairly decent and I found myself getting lost a few times here and there. I love that the Secrets are still a part of the game.

I found myself "expecting" certain things for a majority of the game, stuff like "Ok, when are Pinkies going to show up?", or thinking certain enemies were redesigns of other pre-existing demons (I saw a Summoner for the first time and thought "Oh, is that the new Archvile?". All the demon designs were fantastic; I loved that they redesigned some of them almost completely (and well!) such as the Imp, and other ones almost completely retained their original design (Barons of Hell). Cacodemons are back at that weird middle ground of scary and adorable. The new enemies were pretty good too. I also really liked how you could jump around and climb up on objects seamlessly, it felt like a natural evolution of Doom's frantic run and gun action.

The fanservice was great too; it was just on that middle ground of respecting and honoring the original work, without cheaply going "Hey, remember this? Eh? Eh?". Seeing the Icon of Sin was amazing, as well as hearing the reprise of Sign of Evil during the first Hell level (and I love that some demons will still scrap with each other!). And as a fan of the literary masterpiece that is the Doom comic, I love that "rip and tear" is a theme.

I actually really liked what they did with the BFG, where it's sort of a "get out of jail free" card for emergencies, and uses separate ammo from the plasma rifle. New items were awesome, my favorite is the Gauss Cannon.

I'd say the best part of the game, is where it surprises you with new things that may or may not have been in the original series. I had a good chuckle when I got the minigun, as I thought the assault rifle was THE rapid fire lead shooter for this game; and when Spectres showed up near the end of the game. Same thing for when I beat the Cyberdemon; and then it got up again. Or the Hell Guards (is that what they were called? New enemies.). Boss fights were really well done, in my opinion.

Weapon mods were a nice addition to the game, as I felt more in control of my arsenal and could utilize different mods to suit my needs (my favorite was the mini missiles on the assault rifle). I was a little hesitant to use the Praetor upgrades at first, but they were pretty neat.

I thought the game was a little easy, but then again, I was only playing on Hurt Me Plenty to start with. I'm hoping that harder difficulties will change more than just sliders on how much damage you take; increased and stronger enemies would be nice.

I loved the story. The idea of Doomguy having to put up with the forces of hell for the (seemingly) fourth time, and just being pissed as all hell, is pretty great. Him just breaking all of the Argent reactors while Hayden practically begged him not to, was one of the highlights of the story mode. I also loved the idea that Doomguy fucked up so much of Hell, that the demons were terrified of him. That's pretty badass. Doom's never been a game that's about story, but I think they did a great job. Hayden and Olivia were genuinely interesting, and I want to know more about them. They did a good enough job of contrasting those who mess with power outside their understanding rationally, and fervently with the two of them.

The only thing I didn't like was the Cyber Mancubi. I hate those guys. The Lost Souls were always my least favorite enemy type, but they were great in this game.

I REALLY, really hope we're getting a sequel. Or at least DLC. But a sequel would be great. I had a few questions about the story mode, that I was hoping you guys could fill me in on. It's only been a few hours since I've beaten the game, so maybe I just haven't filled in some dots yet.

- The titan that is referred to in the Doom Slayer archives; that's definitely the Icon of Sin, right?
- Who were those bucket-head looking soldiers near the end of the game? The Night Sentinels?
- Do we have any more information on the Wraiths? I thought it weird they introduced all these almost Proto-Hell concepts RIGHT before the game ended.
- Who was the deep raspy voice from the Doom Slayer archives? The one that said things like "We cannot allow him to reach the crucible" and of course "Kill him"
- Why did Doomguy save VEGA's backup data? He did it without being asked, so I thought maybe he felt like saving VEGA, considering VEGA was pretty selfless.
- Why does Samuel Hayden have a robot ass that just won't quit?
- Olivia BECAME the Spider Mastermind, correct? That's what I took it as, but it's always possible that she just got swallowed up or whatever.

untilitdies said:

Olivia BECAME the Spider Mastermind, correct? That's what I took it as, but it's always possible that she just got swallowed up or whatever.

Olivia got trolled by the Demons and got ate.

I think the deep voice was the icon since as soon as you see him you hear that voice

It could also be the unknown dark lord that the codex talks about (the icon could be the dark lord :O )

Azazel Bloodfucker said:

You think so? I found it strange that she was able to make it alllllll the way to what seems like Hell's inner sanctum without getting eaten by an Imp or something, if eating her was their endgame for her, lol.

Oh, on the topic of Olivia, I thought it interesting that they imply that everyone who messes with Argent energy gets some sort of horrible medical situation; Hayden with his brain cancer and Olivia with her scoliosis.

untilitdies said:

You think so? I found it strange that she was able to make it alllllll the way to what seems like Hell's inner sanctum without getting eaten by an Imp or something, if eating her was their endgame for her, lol.

They used her for info, resources, and possibly sex then they killed her when they didn't need her anymore.

wheresthebeef said:

They probably needed a sacrifice to summon the Spider Mastermind

Ooooh, right. That didn't even occur to me.

Azazel Bloodfucker said:

They used her for info, resources, and possibly sex then they killed her when they didn't need her anymore.

I'm going to get super weird for a second and pose this question; do the demons even have genitals to copulate with? I mean, almost none of them wear clothes, so you'd figure they'd just have it hanging out if they had something.

I'm sorry.

untilitdies said:

I'm going to get super weird for a second and pose this question; do the demons even have genitals to copulate with? I mean, almost none of them wear clothes, so you'd figure they'd just have it hanging out if they had something.

That's why I said possibly, because we don't even know if they even have genders.

All we can take for granted is that the Barons and the Knights both have dreamy as fuck buttocks.

Almonds said:

All we can take for granted is that the Barons and the Knights both have dreamy as fuck buttocks.

Everybody's just got an Ass That Just Won't Quit. That's what the game's really about. Firm glutes.

According to the codex, Olivia was merged into an existing, powerful demon known as "Aranea Imperatrix". It states that, as Olivia was the "key-holder", she received a "great blessing" and became "one with the master".

I fucking love the lore in this game. It fits DOOM perfectly. I highly recommend reading all of the codex stuff if you haven't.

So no, the Spider Mastermind is not a transformed Olivia. It is a demon that has taken her into itself.

Would be funny if Ol' Livvy actually survived for some contrived reason, and came back in the sequel. But then, I also wanted to see Breen turned into a Stalker as punishment for his failure in Half-Life 2, and it never happened :-( .

Azazel Bloodfucker said:

Naw, Olivia was transformed into the Spider Mastermind. Notice how the Spider Mastermind's legs seem to be coated in the same material that her exoskeleton was?

She was trolled, they made her one with the Spider Mastermind, a Huge Brain with small legs. Which could be a way to describe Olivia as human weak body strong brain...

TAPETRVE said:

Would be funny if Ol' Livvy actually survived for some contrived reason, and came back in the sequel. But then, I also wanted to see Breen turned into a Stalker as punishment for his failure in Half-Life 2, and it never happened :-( .

I love that concept in general; I was hoping he was going to get turned into one of the Advisors, considering he says something along the lines of "A host body? I couldn't possibly!" to an Advisor before you interrupt him near the end of the game. Bummer we'll likely never see 3.

There's no way Olivia's coming back, though. Spider Mastermind, maybe, but not Olivia.

Atendega said:

It states that, as Olivia was the "key-holder", she received a "great blessing" and became "one with the master".

There is no Olivia, only Zuul.

I want to read more of the codex artifacts, but I missed a few in my playthrough; work isn't giving me enough time to go back and play through again.