Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deatheye

Why are the new Hellknights...

riky_rice said:

They should have done it with the IMPs also. They are so forgettable. A bunch of schizophrenic leprechauns

Literally the worst comparison ever made. In what fucked up world are leprechauns tall and purple?

I like that the D16 hell knights are based on a pretty uninspired and bland looking D3 design. They look so good in the new game. Love the fleshy exposed skull, to me that's more terrifying than the OG hell knight's "slightly grayer baron of hell" look.

Jaxxoon R said:

Literally the worst comparison ever made. In what fucked up world are leprechauns tall and purple?

A metaphor to describe that their appearance and behaviour is unthreatening. The fact that their AI is remarkable and they deal some good damage is not an excuse

To be fair, the original ones weren't particularly threatening, either. They had fucking nipple spikes, for fuck's sake. And while the insectoid imps in DOOM³ certainly amped up the menace, their overly serious and grimdark appearance doesn't really fit well into the new game's atmosphere.

Yeah, the new imps are definitely the best they've ever looked. The monsters in Doom are supposed to be fucking pissed and the new imp really represents that well!

I agree with you but...

As you might say I've never been a big fan of glowing eyes hehe, at least if you want to impose me some kind of threat
Event Horizon iconography always intrigued me. When you're in hell, you don't need eyes

MusicallyInspired said:

I refuse to believe the post-Doom 2 knights have eyes. Not listening.

Don't worry I'm with you

Man, that original imp was a pretty cool design. Kind of wish they could have somehow kept it. But the new imp is way better. One of the most outstanding designs in the game.

The initial imp concept for the new game may have been more "necro", but the final ones are really befitting of their namesake. Imps are supposed to be mischievous buggers that mock and torment people, and that air of maliciousness is exactly what makes those grinning, scampering bastards memorable. Just like the laughing Cacodemons.

GoatLord said:

Man, that original imp was a pretty cool design. Kind of wish they could have somehow kept it. But the new imp is way better. One of the most outstanding designs in the game.

I think the original Imp may be added in a DLC or perhaps a sequel as a Hell variant. At least that's what I'd do.

Anyway, IMHO the D16 Hellknight reminds me of the Hammer Bros. for some reason. :P

Can't quite put my finger on why though. :3

TAPETRVE said:

The initial imp concept for the new game may have been more "necro", but the final ones are really befitting of their namesake. Imps are supposed to be mischievous buggers that mock and torment people, and that air of maliciousness is exactly what makes those grinning, scampering bastards memorable. Just like the laughing Cacodemons.

I love the cacodemons, they're description says they're the stupidest of the monsters, and they're dopey design perfectly captures that

TAPETRVE said:

If only there was a green version that had massive buckteeth.

I didn't want to say anything until now as I was reserving my judgement.

But, man, you have the greatest ideas.

Clear distinction between knight and baron, I like it.

Baron is so intimidating and huge, and when 2 of them spawn in the necropolis and start running at you .... just awesome.

MetroidJunkie said:

I didn't mean the movie Alien, I mean it looked like a generic representation of what you think of when you think of aliens.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060401103957/idverse/images/thumb/b/bf/Archvile_sculpt.jpg/405px-Archvile_sculpt.jpg

Except he has an open stomach. The original Arch-Vile reminds me of this guy, actually (yeah, I know that Arch-Vile came before him)

MusciallyInspired said:

I refuse to believe the post-Doom 2 knights have eyes. Not listening.

riky_rice said:

Don't worry I'm with you

That makes us three. Xenomorph-style Hell Knights FTW!

BluePineapple72 said:

I love the cacodemons, they're description says they're the stupidest of the monsters, and they're dopey design perfectly captures that

I do not like this fact. I always thought that Pinkies are the most stupid ones, like oversized attack dogs. For Cacodemons I prefer an interpretation that they are prideful to the point of being a bit vain. They do not float too fast, and they release their electric bolts in a casual manner, like if they are putting no effort in it (compare to Nobles, which do a wide swing before they hurl their plasma balls). I like to think that they possess great potential, so if they would focus a bit more they would not belch lightning balls, but thunderstorms (just like the Overlord, the monster from Realm667, does - he kind of looks like elder Cacodemon). I remember reading somewhere that Cacodemons and Barons hate each other, to the point of conducting a civil war against each other (was it from a Doom 1 novel?). So I stay with that lore, and consequently I do think of them as stupid, but rather conceited.
As for the Cacodemon's appearance, I am glad they returned to the classic design (Doom 3 one's was a miss). The only thing I would change would be to give them their eye pupils back.

what i really miss is the old slow moving of those big ass monster, like they were in the doom 2 and 1, i like to be intimidating by a slow ass motherfucker, that can not be instakilled...

GoatLord said:

Man, that original imp was a pretty cool design.

The original Imp is one of the worst designs! A mud golem with nipple spikes and really stupid giant red alien eyes.

The design in the original DOOM still reminds me of Hasbro's short-lived cartoon series Inhumanoids.

Tetzlaff said:

The original Imp is one of the worst designs! A mud golem with nipple spikes and really stupid giant red alien eyes.

I think he was quoting my image taken from the e3 2015 gameplay

ID changed dramatically the IMP design after that presentation. From meaty and "skully" (idk if it's the correct terminology) to insectoid

Oh, okay, then sorry GoatLord! Yes, the earlier eye-less Imp design was pretty cool. I would have preferred this one combined with the purple/brown colour scheme of the final version.

Tetzlaff said:

Oh, okay, then sorry GoatLord! Yes, the earlier eye-less Imp design was pretty cool. I would have preferred this one combined with the purple/brown colour scheme of the final version.

As has been mentioned, they really ought to find a way to use it. I love how grotesque it looks.

Tetzlaff said:

lol. The imp has had an interesting appearance from the start. A spiked creature that chucked fire, a gray monster that shattered your eardrums every time it screeched, to a gray monster with no eyes to a purplish monster with yellow eyes.

Tetzlaff said:

Someone put a good effort on the Doom 1 IMP to make it decent while maintaining the main features