Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marcaek

Mayhem '16: Juneheim [Map compilation updated October 1st]

Noticed a few glitches in the resource pack.

The QSLIP animated texture is wrongly denoted as a flat in the ANIMATED lump, so fails to animate.

Quite a few textures with odd widths have been extended to a more rational lengths of 192 or 384, but unfortunately PrBoom+ doesn't display them correctly. When it comes to width, it would appear Boom insists on strict powers of 2, such as 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, etc.

(Edit: Conversely, PrBoom+ handles textures of any arbitary height just fine.)

Dragonfly said:

I love how abstract that last shot is! I also spotted a slight misalignment

That's well spotted! Didn't notice it myslef.

You're welcome A.Gamma. :)

Marcaek said:

Just a reminder multiplayer things are exempt from the thing limit. You can take care of that during the second month if you like but I *DO* want to see some kind of attention given to multiplay.

I'm more than happy to do this. My question - I am map slot 27, so 270 monsters. Does the multiplayer need to be limited to 270 monsters too, or can this be exceeded? I imagine sticking within the limit is fine, but it's worth asking anyway, eh?

hi. I made a map: https://www.mediafire.com/?g4o9r1p5gi2bf1g

play on hmp. despite the low monster count uv here is one of the most obnoxious things I've ever made. also I have no intentions of altering the starting area.

midi is an original composition, I'll try to make it loop better sometime soon...

Dragonfly said:

You're welcome A.Gamma. :)

I'm more than happy to do this. My question - I am map slot 27, so 270 monsters. Does the multiplayer need to be limited to 270 monsters too, or can this be exceeded? I imagine sticking within the limit is fine, but it's worth asking anyway, eh?

Multiplayer is exempt from the limit, just dont go full Chillax and make a 2700 monster map as a result :V

Played your map Ribbiks, both HMP and UV

Spoiler

har har.

Did HMP first since I knew 30 monsters + Ribbiks meant the player has to know every square inch of the layout. Might be tricky for those that pistol start it, but hopefully any continuous players will be able to handle the pressure. There are a couple of things I'd personally suggest tweaking, considering this is MAP03 after all:

- Move the AV that rezzes the chaingunners to a seperate box. I think all he really serves to do is punish the player for not understanding where to go, as once you understand the chaingunners' angles of attack (and the path through the map), it's not too hard to avoid them. Do this or at least swap the gunners out for sergeants.

- Moving the two medikits (or one of them) from the final ambush over to the YK spot would be appreciated, since it's real tough to get to them in the middle of combat, meaning that the player pretty much has to do that battle with whatever health they have going into it. I'd also recommend changing one of the chaingunners to a sergeant there, as that fight tears your ass up in milliseconds unless you realize where the hitscanners are & if they're attacking.

- Any way to make it a blue key switch over to the bars that block the YK? For the longest time I didn't know that those bars had opened up (I had completely forgot about that area in general) so I was stuck wandering around and getting shot by chaingunners. Either do that, or at least provide some way to make it more obvious to head to that area.

- This goes for UV as well, but a berserk right before the exit would be nice, especially if MAP04 starts the player in a damaging sector as well :P

I really liked all the angles going on in this map. The rusty metal textures generally blend together so the constant mishmash of different textures works alright here. Was baffling, but in a fun way... well, for someone that played with saves. Speaking of, UV wasn't too much worse for me as long as I saved mid-battle—thought it was cute that your whole goal there was just to drain the player of munitions, forcing them to infight at every opportunity (like how the PE at the numbered platforms is meant to be killed)—the only part I thought was a tad crazy was fighting the green armor AV with my unberserked fists... 1-2 more rockets would've been nice, but I suppose that difficulty is what it is. No comments really on the midi.

Benjogami said:

(and lots of loads)

hah, no kidding, I wanted a death counter for that last fight :). will probably nerf hmp a smidge. also cheers dobu, I'll probably implement most of those suggestions.

Really awesome stuff, guys!
Also, this make me remember that I made only a room of my map, I was thinking of making a collab map, if someone is interested.

Dragonfly said:

Looking good. ^^

Agree agree agree. Love that medieval Quake architecture.

Ribbiks said:

hi. I made a map: https://www.mediafire.com/?g4o9r1p5gi2bf1g

http://i.imgur.com/ZfdlWZtl.png

play on hmp. despite the low monster count uv here is one of the most obnoxious things I've ever made. also I have no intentions of altering the starting area.

midi is an original composition, I'll try to make it loop better sometime soon...

HMP FDA w/ saves: http://www.mediafire.com/download/a21sklfyzi3g0zn/mariav01_rdwpa_fda.lmp

I'm worse than usual today due to little sleep (why do I notice this map just now -_-), so I die in the last fight either two or three unnecessary times, and saved a lot more than usual because the map was scaring me. I REALLY think I could have pulled it off first time on my A-game. :)

I like the way keys are used here -- just out in the open as very early "progression trinkets" instead of traps. And that YK area and the reused switch area is cute. Ammo distribution is quite sexy too. Big LOL @ that crusher area. I couldn't even get mad at that one. I actually IDMUS'd away quite quickly because I don't like moody oppressive music when I'm playing maps like these. Some of the areas flip a big middle finger to expectations of maneuvering (last fight in particular: slippery floors, ledges are at a height that it looks like you can hide under, but AVs/chaingunners target you anyway), but I guess you know that.

UV: I noticed immediately that there weren't really enough cyberdemons. The first archvile in particular could be swapped out for one, and maybe a few of the ledge chaingunners too. Also most people probably aren't using spider masterminds in their maps, so Mayhem '16 could use a Dehacked patch giving them the ability to fly, and I think in that case they'd make excellent substitutes for the pain elementals.

I'm not entirely sure will I make it in time, but I'll try to!

rdwpa said:

HMP-max w/o saves: http://www.mediafire.com/download/b1ykbyima9v9d2u/mariav01_hmp_letsplay.lmp

1) Strikes me that it doesn't matter much what you do in the first fight as long as you don't waste too much ammo and as long as you survive, because of the 'zerk and GA.

2) Not the case in the soulsphere fight, because it seems useful to get to the last fight with as much health as possible. (High health is good and low health is bad. Wow, I'm so insightful today.)

3) How did the archy target me all the way across the room (the second time, in the fight)? It seems slightly out of the targeting distance, if I'm not misremebering it. But it also seems possible for it to target you while it's in hiding, lol. That should be left in, given how, uh, trolly the map is. :D

Not going to bother trying UV. :S

rdwpa said:

I actually IDMUS'd away quite quickly because I don't like moody oppressive music when I'm playing maps like these.

bah :p. cool demos though.

3) How did the archy target me all the way across the room (the second time, in the fight)? It seems slightly out of the targeting distance, if I'm not misremebering it. But it also seems possible for it to target you while it's in hiding, lol. That should be left in, given how, uh, trolly the map is. :D

I noticed that in Benjo's demo as well, I think there's some funky node glitch where the AV that wanders around various closets (to rez the trollgunners) can somehow target the player in the final fight area. no idea why.

Not going to bother trying UV. :S

that makes two of us :p

I have an updated version somewhere, will post it eventually. Not many changes honestly, just a few slight hmp nerfs (to the last fight), and htnr is implemented.

In Doom Builder 2 at least, you can select all things on the map and right click to open the thing properties window. At the top the number of things will be shown, although you will have to subtract player starts, multiplayer only things and the editor camera. I suggest adding multiplayer things after you're sure you've hit 160 otherwise, or making a filter to exclude multiplayer things using "configure thing filter" at the center of the editor toolbar.

Here is an updated version of my map and it includes these changes, didn't really want to do it but anyway after writing down some notes here are the changes:

- Added Chainsaw which replaces the Rocket Launcher but on multiplayer the Rocket Launcher remains. I don't play multiplayer so I am not sure how this map will play.

- Moved the Rocket Launcher and one Rockets Box into a new, nearby secret area for single player which is a plasma gun on multiplayer. The secret door which is located to the left of the door on top of the staircase just after the blue key door uses a slightly different texture and the wall is pushed in and the RL can be seen through bars.

- Added skill settings. So for example if one monster is skill 3/4/5, the other is 1/2.
Cyberdemon on Multiplayer in front of the large arched window before the red key. Some enemies were replaced by ammo.

- All play modes have exactly 160 things regardless of skill level. (not including player starts)

For someone who is a poor-skilled player I think I did the best I could. I know it is probably not perfect.

Download: paulcorfiatis.com/mhm16_pc.zip

I hate eeeeeeeeeeeeeeverything about this texture pack. That being said, 2 wip layouts:

*Sighs*

I suppose you guys have noticed that I've been pretty damn inactive lately: life is kind of tumultuous at the moment and Doom mapping has kind of fallen by the wayside. So yeah, sorry I didn't do this earlier but I'm afraid I'll have to withdraw from making a MAP30. I can still make a custom boss if the person who ends up doing MAP30 wants one, but that's all I can promise. Sorry. :/