Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

What do you want to see in the next Doom?

This is not me being impatient, so much as, pondering what sort of changes the franchise will see between now and the next installment. With Doom '16, we have alt firing modes, upgrades, a built-in editor and glory kills among other new additions. Surely, if a new title is somewhere on the horizon, we can expect features that have never been seen in a Doom game before, or haven't been featured since the early days. Share your speculations and thoughts. Here's a few of mine:

• Destructible environments. I remember as a kid thinking how, if I couldn't find the key, it would be so rad to blow up a door with a rocket launcher as an alternative. The problem with this, besides the fact that it breaks up the intended flow of the map, is that this sort of feature is usually limited to very specific walls. If everything were destructible, you'd have to take into account what's behind this or below that, so lots and lots of additional geometry would have to be constructed, some of it probably procedurally. Seems very un-Doomy and prone to glitching. I like the idea but it's hard to imagine how it would work in such a setting.

• Vehicles. This is also something I'm iffy about. I like the idea of hopping on the back of an armored vehicle and having to protect it from enemies while traveling from point A to B. I think actually taking control and driving the vehicle might also be too un-Doomy, but possibly very fun, so maybe limiting its usage would be wise.

• More physics. Not necessarily heaps of gimmicky physics-based puzzles, but maybe a more sophisticated general interaction with objects. In Doom '16, you clip right through enemies when they die and some of the decorative objects in environments behave similarly. It would be neat if these interactions were more believable. Doom 3 had a few physics-based puzzles that were interesting, so maybe a handful wouldn't hurt in a new game. I imagine there being some subtle but immersive effects such as pools of blood causing splashes when walked through, small scale stuff like that.

• Using the weapons of fallen enemies such as the mancubus and revenant. This idea was crudely implemented in Brutal Doom, and while not perfect, it's a very interesting concept that should be explored further.

• More overt use of surreal imagery for maps set in Hell. Doom '16's take is fantastical, but not particularly surreal. As a result the maps look great, but not quite as terrifyingly otherworldly as they could be. Obviously, taking more queues from H. R. Giger, extreme metal album covers, Lovecraft and films such as Event Horizon and Hellraiser would help.

• More overt use of nightmarish and horrific themes. Doom '16 certainly gets horrific at times, but in a sort of badass way, rather than a genuinely disturbing way. PSX Doom and Doom 64, old as they are, accomplish this rather well through the way the lighting and music and architecture all come together. Doom 3 handled horror fairly well too and a return to these themes would be very welcome.

• A return to Earth. The cancelled version of Doom (4) attempted this, but ultimately failed, at least locationally speaking, because none of the environments looked distinct. They were contemporary--and at times even very mid 20th century looking--set pieces that lacked imagination and did not at all suggest that the game took place in the future. A look that's somewhere between Akira, Blade Runner, the war-torn future sequences in the Terminator films, as well as conceptual architecture such as the "blob architecture" movement from recent years would, be good starting points.

• The return of radiation and "dangerous" liquids. Doom '16 has insta-death areas that resemble this somewhat, but the idea of having to briefly navigate hazardous sections is a major part of Doom and is worth exploring in a new game.

• More overt use of dark ambient. I find this to be more effective than the d-jent/dubstep inspired battle music from Doom '16. Aggressive music can work, but I think it should be more subtle and less busy.

• More computer interaction. Yeah, it was a cute gimmick from Doom 3 that was often pointless (such as the numerous computers that you could back up, or the fact that you had to use an actual cursor to navigate the only clickable button on the screen), but I think there's potential for some worthwhile interactions.

i just want to be able to fight against cyberdemon and other monsters at the same time. There were at least two promotional pictures that showed the cyberdemon on the field with other monsters like imps, etc and when the game released i was very unhappy to see cyberdemon reserved for boss fight only.

maybe OG doom technically had this issue as well, cyberdemon located on e2m8 only - but i preferred doom 2's approach to making him part of the regular roster. and doom2016 promo material seemed to suggest he would be a regular encounter as well.

DOOM's minimalism needs to be preserved, so I don't think there's any place for vehicle sections and the like.

I want a return of the cheesy surf rock track (Running from Evil) from DOOM II :-P .

Not to get too anal, but that wasn't a surf rock track, it was a rock arrangement based on the opening riff to Megadeth's "Hanger 18."

1. Hell on Earth, but more impressive sights and gory scenes than ever

2. Doom 2 inspired Arena battles. Moments (but not entire levels) like Dead Simple

3. Introduction of at least 3 new monsters and possibly new weapons although DLCs are doing that

4. CyberDemon and Spider Mastermind being a non scripted Monster to fight on the field

5. Phobos

I also want the two-mouthed Pain Elementals from DOOM 64.

And a rendition of Darkthrone's "These Shores are Damned".

It's this kind of raw, primitive and spiteful sound that I miss in the newer games. DOOM '16 is just continuing the industrial-infused style from DOOM³'s theme, which in turn was closer to Quake II than its own predecessors.

AnonimVio said:

NO ARENAS

ah, it's you. Hey there.

so have you actually gotten the game to run in the first place or...?

Chezza said:

1. Hell on Earth, but more impressive sights and gory scenes than ever

2. Doom 2 inspired Arena battles. Moments (but not entire levels) like Dead Simple

3. Introduction of at least 3 new monsters and possibly new weapons although DLCs are doing that

4. CyberDemon and Spider Mastermind being a non scripted Monster to fight on the field

5. Phobos

Was pondering if answering every point of his discussion (and some of them are interesting ideas) but thanks to you I don't have to squeeze my brain and agree to everything you just said

+Deimos

40oz said:

Centered weapons!

You don't have to wait so long. It will be a feature in a free update for DOOM 16 this summer

Post-patch headlines in the yellow press: "Return of the infamous penis surrogates in children's entertainment! Shameful 'video game' lets you pretend to play with big, throbbing, wildly squirting trouser snakes!"

Next Doom, i want more Revenants, i love them to the death, so why not have more of them in the next Doom?
And also more gore, because it's so damn satisfying to blow enemies to chunks of flesh.

I'd like to see the Unmaker from DOOM 64 make a return, but powered with player health instead of plasma cells.

Absolutely. I don't like that it was powered by BFG ammo. It needs to be a fully demonic weapon. Powering it using player health makes perfect sense!

riky_rice said:

You don't have to wait so long. It will be a feature in a free update for DOOM 16 this summer

Really? Where did you hear that?

Hayden builds research labs on Phobos and Deimos. Stuff goes wrong in those labs, Doom Marine brought out of his sleep to "fix" things. Two expansion packs in the making here, do it id.

What we need is the same game but on Earth maybe just a few new enemies. But that is that.
We don't need vehicles - This is not Halo
We don't need destructible walls - This is not Red Faction
We don't need More physics - physics based puzzle is way too 2004

Well destruction and vehicles as I said I'm iffy about. I think physics puzzles could work if they're simple and intuitive and there's not too many of them. I weirdly kind of liked having to dump those barrels with the crane in Doom 3...

Puzzle in general don't fit in a Doom game. Doom 3 was great game but it was a deviation from what Doom should be. I had the same issue with Doom 64 it was a great game but it had way too many puzzle, hell i hated the damm puzzle in Map 8.
Doom at the roots is meant to be a simple game, which focus in fast movement and shooting. Thera are things that may be a great idea in one game may suck in Another.

I really like Doom 2016 as it is, the dev team was able to capture the spirit of the original Doom. If they make a Doom 2, i just hope they follow the same path of the Original Doom 2, same as Doom but on Earth.

But this is just my opinion

GoatLord said:

I weirdly kind of liked having to dump those barrels with the crane in Doom 3...

Oh that kind of puzzles. Yeah, i'd love to see something like that in a New Doom! There's just not enough of those.

GoatLord said:

The return of radiation and "dangerous" liquids. Doom '16 has insta-death areas that resemble this somewhat, but the idea of having to briefly navigate hazardous sections is a major part of Doom and is worth exploring in a new game.

I never thought of that, that's actually a really good point. Huh, I wonder why that wasn't a thing in D16

GoatLord said:

Destructible environments. I remember as a kid thinking how, if I couldn't find the key, it would be so rad to blow up a door with a rocket launcher as an alternative. The problem with this, besides the fact that it breaks up the intended flow of the map, is that this sort of feature is usually limited to very specific walls. If everything were destructible, you'd have to take into account what's behind this or below that, so lots and lots of additional geometry would have to be constructed, some of it probably procedurally. Seems very un-Doomy and prone to glitching. I like the idea but it's hard to imagine how it would work in such a setting.

Perhaps cracked walls that can be blown up for secrets. But yeah, this would be hard.

GoatLord said:

A return to Earth. The cancelled version of Doom (4) attempted this, but ultimately failed, at least locationally speaking, because none of the environments looked distinct. They were contemporary--and at times even very mid 20th century looking--set pieces that lacked imagination and did not at all suggest that the game took place in the future. A look that's somewhere between Akira, Blade Runner, the war-torn future sequences in the Terminator films, as well as conceptual architecture such as the "blob architecture" movement from recent years would, be good starting points.

Fully agree, it makes sense to do it on Earth. And yeah it has to be a much more futuristic and most of all an overpopulated, overcrowded, disturbing vision of the future (before Hell attacks). A few more movies to think about: Both the new and old Judge Dredds, newest Total Recall, Fifth Element, slums of Gotham City (in recent games, and movies).

It's got to have that mix of slums and old buildings where all the poor people live, and massive super buildings towering over them leaving them under a practically 24/7 shadow.

The campaign could essentially be the Doom guy slowly working his way down the layers of the mega city, it will transition from a futuristic look (taken over by hell of course) to a complete fucking ghetto that just gets extremely depressing (but FUEL for the Doom guy's rage!). The bottom layers of the city would be where 90 percent of the city's population is, and where the Hell on Earth truly is. Doom guy will see the real suffering and torture of all the innocent people who were not protected by the rich when Hell attacks.

Anyways, the key here is to have a very messy environment so the map creators don't really need to worry about "oh does this make sense for this random support beam to be in the middle of the road?". It just has to be believable, and Earth needs to have a dark history.

The Doom guy will finally see why they were so desperate for this Argent energy. A truly sad ending to Earth.

I'm one of the folks who liked the puzzles in DOOM 64, but yeah, it went a bit overboard. Almost turned the game into Hexen at times. That said, I wouldn't mind hiding some of the next game's secrets behind more devious puzzles.

vehicles? puzzles? what are you guys smoking ... this is doom. smh

I want phobos and deimos and hell on earth. With some new monsters maybe (arachnotron / pain ele but pain ele has to have its own attack besides spawning souls) and moar levels.

Just moar single player .... please id i need it like heroin

Doom is filled with puzzles!
E1M1: Hmm, how do I get that blue armor laying about in that toxic pool, outside? Maybe there's a switch around here.
E1M3: Hmm, how do I get that the Soulsphere on display?... Wait, did I hear an elevator go down?
E2M1: Hmm, how do get past this red door? Maybe a red keycard is hidden somewhere.

Its everywhere in Doom!