Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Texture Extravaganza [COMMUNITY PROJECT] (CANCELLED - Check last post)

Du Mhan Yhu said:

pic

Some more progress, I hate working on this. I just need to balance out Monsters/Health/Ammo and it's complete, should be done today or tomorrow.

Why do you have it? Your map looks fabulous!

olekopyto said:

Can't wait to play it!

I think I'll disappoint you.

Why did you put the map on map 08 slot?
Did you did it for the music? You know, if you want music for you doom wads you can use XWE to do it, I can do it for you.
About the map:
Nice usage of your textures but what can I say, you were one of the lucky ones that got textures that were possible to work around with, okay I am getting off the topic. Layout is a little bit confusing, everything great EXECPT the archville and some of the revenants. Also one pinkie-that-is-not-to-be-seen is stuck. You must find the pinkie and unstuck him.
The map is hard. Too hard.

So I reviewed your map, can you review mine too?

I found that map02 isn't finished.
Do you know about key F4 in Doom Builder? Really helpful sometimes. It showed me 58 errors.
56 errors about missing texture, others about two sectors in one place and incorrect placed linedef. Check it out and fix it olekopyto.

Du Mhan Yhu said:

Pretty cool map, I especially like the way it looks from the overhead. Some fun encounters, but at least a few are of the "Will probably kill you or inflict serious damage you w/o preknowledge --> trivial w/ preknowledge, often involving escaping and then camping and making things infight so you can build up ammo reserves" sort. That four-switch pit with the AV and crusher (the AV is tolerable, the crusher is just retarded imo -- I stopped recording a demo at that point and almost decided not to play the map again) is the most egregious. That sort of thing is not very first-playthrough friendly -- but it also doesn't have the benefit of being exciting on follow-up playthroughs, which is the main thing a dickish setup can have going for it and often the ostensible point behind forgoing FDA-friendliness.

I guess you forgot to say it was on map08 or something.

Played your map Du. At times your stuff reminds me of Octavarium's, where you create these lush, beautiful levels that are chock-full of detail and lights, but man do you not like letting the player relax and breathe. This frequently slows your level to a crawl, where the player has to fight for every inch and shell they find. It's difficult, but in the same way fighting HKs on either side of you in a 64-wide hallway is—less about flexibility, more about flawless execution. Still greatly enjoyed the visuals, and how you wisely used the GRAY switch texture throughout the map (like at the underground pyramid). I appreciate the contrast in brightness between the outdoor areas and indoor ones too. Again, it's a shame your maps aren't a bit easier, because there's plenty here to appreciate when you're not forced to camp corners.

It'd be hard to point out all the issues I have, so I'll just make a list of the things that most need fixing. I circled each issue to make identifying them easier.

- Manc is stuck at the blue circle.

- The inlets at the red circle are accidentally marked as secrets.

- No reason for the switch at the purple circle to be an SR—should just be an S1.

- There needs to be an SSG on this map. I understand only having the shotgun makes the map more tense, but you have far too many high-tier enemies and not enough powerful ordinance to justify its absence. Twice I had to chainsaw an arch-vile, which was simply ludicrous. IMO the SSG should be down in the HK 4-switch pit, probably to help make that fight a bit smoother.

- The revs at the green circle do nothing but push the player out of that room and prolong the map. It'd be better if the player had the SSG, but even then they do nothing but deny the player that space... probably should replace all but one with imps. Likewise, the AV fight there can be a nuisance (I just skipped it)

- I'm not really keen on the barons since they're walking ammo sponges. It can be kinda fun to be forced to avoid them, but there really should be the ammo somewhere to deal with them later.

- Besides that, just sprinkle in a few more rockets and the map should be fine. There's a couple corners where I think you have too many hitscanners, but more rockets would've helped with them out.

Here's an FDA for Mines: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3pssp5w6g0xqji/benjogami_mines_fda.lmp?dl=1

I only needed one of the switches to get the yellow key. Not sure if it's intentional, but it's pretty inconsequential either way. I suggest making both switches necessary, and also have them open up some monster closets in the left hallway, since that hallway is just there and not really doing anything. The square detailing looks pretty cool though.

I didn't mind that the map was short; it would make a decent opening map. Because it was short, the use of non-standard key door markers wasn't too bothersome. I think blue torches would be a better marker for the blue door, since your other key doors use things as markers as well.

olekopyto said:

Hey

Please stop posting with no purpose. If you've nothing to add to the thread, don't post. This isn't supposed to be used like an instant messenger such as Skype or IRC.

Dragonfly said:

Please stop posting with no purpose. If you've nothing to add to the thread, don't post. This isn't supposed to be used like an instant messenger such as Skype or IRC.

Seconded. It's quite irritating to see a notification about a new post when it has no meaningful content.

I think it's okay to bump the project to ask what's going on with it, just not necessarily this frequently (usually you wait a couple weeks).

dobu gabu maru said:

I think it's okay to bump the project to ask what's going on with it, just not necessarily this frequently (usually you wait a couple weeks).

I totally agree, but the below quoted post is what I flagged up as excessively pointless:

olekopyto said:

Hey

That said, I do again feel DoomLover could benefit from imposing a deadline on this project as it seems to have more or less died as far as evident progress is going.

Hi guys. Any life left on this project? I could make some short and sweet map for this.
If we are still picking numbers, give me 8.

Oh.

Sure but I'll give you the numbers later - I'm a bit busy atm.

Dragonfly said:

That said, I do again feel DoomLover could benefit from imposing a deadline on this project as it seems to have more or less died as far as evident progress is going.

A month later this statement is ever more relevant.

TheArcadeStriker said:

Just tried the first map of this WAD, and I'm impressed how well it looks even considering there is a texture limit.

I believe that was my map. If so, thank you! If not, well, thank you on behalf of the intended mapper. :)

TheArcadeStriker said:

Just tried the first map of this WAD, and I'm impressed how well it looks even considering there is a texture limit.

Sign me in! I want number 14!

Dave, I'm afraid i can't let you do that.
The number is already taken.

OK, so as this project appears to be a bit dead and I appear to be a bit bored with my current map, I have decided to kill two rabbits with one stone and take my chances here.

Gimme number 27. If 27's busy, gimme 28. Making the map might take me up to a month, so don't sign me up if that's a deal-breaker.

P.S. if I get a texture, say STARTAN1, may I use the corresponding switch? (i.e. SWxSTRTN)
EDIT: thanks joe-ilya!
EDIT2: both 27 and 28 appear to be taken, so 29 please? If that one is taken too, give me whatever you like. And please update the OP sometimes!

bzzrak said:

P.S. if I get a texture, say STARTAN1, may I use the corresponding switch? (i.e. SWxSTRTN)

You can use any texture as long as only that switch texture's used.

Hi there everyone, and sorry for bump.
Does anyone know if everything is OK with DoomLover234 (the leader of this project)? He hasn't posted anywhere since the 11th of July and both accounts in his profile information seem to be deleted. I mean, he couldn't have just run away from this, could he?

The last thing i know is he have some issues with his computer...

But now why everything about him looks vanished from the net is kinda odd... what happened?

Hi guys! It has been a long time. I needed to take a break from Doom a bit, but now I'm fully back.

I'll give you the textures today.

Sowwy :'(