Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Crunchynut44

What powerups/items would you add or change for the original game?

You'll just have to remember where it was before you picked up the Green Armor? The only other suggestion, the one you gave, is to have 2 numbers and clutter up the HUD further.

The ideal solution that would work with only 1 armor counter is to make the armor protection percentage depend purely on how many armor points you have, and not at all on the armor type you've picked up. If you had 100 or less armor points, the armor would absorb 1/3 damage you take, and if you had more than 100 armor points, it would absorb 1/2 damage.

That would only make the problem worse, you'd still have Blue Armor turning into Green Armor since you can only pick it up under 100 but now the Blue Armor will turn into Green even if you don't pick up the Green. You'd be losing out on the extra protection even more than you are now.

Yes, the blue armor would degrade, but at least the player would always clearly know what his current armor protection percentage is, and the dilemma over picking or not picking up the green armor due to protection percentage would become non-existent. I call that a solution of the problem. :P

Not sure if you want to pick up that Green Armor because it'll degrade your Blue Armor? We'll just degrade your Blue to Green automatically when it goes below 100 so, even if there isn't a Green Armor in sight, it'll turn into one anyway because screw you.

scifista42 said:

I'd make the Light Goggles toggle-able on/off by a specific key on the keyboard (I mean by a legit key, not by a cheat code) when the player has it.

ie. The night vision goggles from Duke 3D

MetroidJunkie said:

Not sure if you want to pick up that Green Armor because it'll degrade your Blue Armor? We'll just degrade your Blue to Green automatically when it goes below 100 so, even if there isn't a Green Armor in sight, it'll turn into one anyway because screw you.

Exactly. The certainty of knowing how much protective armor you are currently wearing, and no necessity to be careful about accidentally picking up a green armor, both have their benefits, that - maybe even at the cost of actually giving you lesser protection - might even outweight the benefits of wearing a highly protective armor, but perhaps being uncertain whether you are actually wearing it or not, or being bothered by having to be extra careful when moving around a green armor for a strange reason.

I'd get rid of partial invisibility and night vision goggles because I have a strange OCD thing where I have to constantly avoid picking them up. Otherwise they fuck up my screen (goggles) or make me get hit a lot (invisibility.)

Plus they are fairly useless powerups overall.

Light amps just set all the sector brightnesses to the maximum. It's pretty useful in dark places. If it fucks up your screen you've probably got something set wrong like the "enhanced" light amps in GZDoom.

A pentagram that you pick up that grants you demonic fire powers to shoot out of your fists that kill shit, and you run really fast with a red tint on the screen, while gibbing all your enemies. :D

scrap the "invisibility" powerup, it basically does nothing
make the invincibility powerup less painful on the eyes
lessen the green tint on the radiation suit
make the nightvision goggles a bit less bright or scrap them completely
make the computer map show enemies and items (that aren't in secret sectors) on your automap
make armour a bit more useful? iunno how i would approach this personally, but some of the other posts ITT have good ideas
health/armour bonuses giving you a bit more health/armour than 1% (maybe 5%?)

NorkasAradel said:

health/armour bonuses giving you a bit more health/armour than 1% (maybe 5%?)

Or just stack several on top of each other in the actual map.

Doom 4's Haste and Quad Damage would fit pretty well in the original Doom, i think. Quad Damage would be rare or could be used in place of invincibility, to make you taking down the enemy crowd rely a bit more on your skill of dodging, rather than making you take no damage at all. Haste could be used to access certain secrets, and also dodge enemy fire better.

something that gives a permanent armor or health upgrade could be useful too for certain megawads. and also, scale health and armor bonuses so they give you different amount of stuff depending on the skill-levels (5 on both easy skills, 3 on HMP and 1 on UV/Nightmare.)