Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HellVain

Guys...check this new Quake video out

TheWizard said:

People need to understand, based on what we've been told that this is going to be Quake with graphics on par with Doom 2016 and a Lovecraftian look with a bit of Sci-Fi. Gameplay wise it's actually bringing something newish to Quake (cough...Team Arena), and not to mention all the modern competitive goodies. Anyone who's played modern e-sports titles knows what I'm talking about.

Also, Tim Willits said that he's not shutting the door on single player during his interview with Metro.co.uk. It's a possibility that they're working on Single Player reboot for the first Quake that was released on 1996.

JoeKilledKenney2016 said:

Also, Tim Willits said that he's not shutting the door on single player during his interview with Metro.co.uk. It's a possibility that they're working on Single Player reboot for the first Quake that was released on 1996.

I mean why not, it's 20th year anniversary for Quake. What if they announce it at Quakecon this year? Shieeet. I mean, if Champions is actually going to have Lovecraftian art in it like Willits claims, why not re-use the assets? Old Blood was released less than a year after New Order, just goes to show how fast you can build a game if you've got the assets.

EDIT:
Oh and Tim Willits says in that last interview "The codename for this project, until Sunday, was Lovecraft." What about "Project Ranger" on steam? https://steamdb.info/app/205040/history/ #conspiracy #aliens

TheWizard said:

I mean why not, it's 20th year anniversary for Quake. What if they announce it at Quakecon this year? Shieeet. I mean, if Champions is actually going to have Lovecraftian art in it like Willits claims, why not re-use the assets? Old Blood was released less than a year after New Order, just goes to show how fast you can build a game if you've got the assets.

Yeah! That's a possibility too! The recent Wolfenstein and Doom reboots are amazing and successful after all. I believe id software would do in-house single player campaign of Quake reboot while outsourcing multiplayer with other companies (such as Sabre Interactive) the same way as the 2016 Doom reboot.

TheWizard said:

Also, I keep reading people STILL mentioning on posts that have to do with Champions that they don't want "classes". These are aren't classes! How lazy are people? It's pissing me off that this is becoming such a trend on the internet culture, especially among gamers that no one does their research anymore before they decide to give an opinion. Fuck's sake. I bet in 100 million years humans will have evolved into Zerg, all part of a fuckin hive.

You know, since I registered to this forum there were already 2 threads about whiny people whining and insulting other idiots (you'll find them easily).. We are Zerg already

About quakecon.
A Quake 1 reboot from Machinegames would be really interesting, with the main character constantly questioning the meaning of life while dismembering nightmarish monsters XD

Wolfenstein TNO cit.
"This ain't war, but the breaking of Seals.
The undoing of life itself"

SUCH DRAMA, SUCH PASSION

I have the feeling I am slowly getting disconnected from modern gaming trends... I can fully enjoy the new Doom demo, but never heard of MOBA before. I don't know what's going on in the RTS genre these days. The last one I played was WH40k: Dawn of War. Haven't played a newer RPG since years. Skipped all the Call of Duty games.

A German interview with Tim Willits for Quake Champions:

•Quake Champions will definitely have Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch. There are also working on a teambased Mode for E-Sport

•id thinks that 5v5 is the optimal player number for a teambased mode

•Every Champion will have a passive Ability for his movement. And every Champion will have an active special ability. As example the Hero Ranger from the teaser can throw a "Dire Orb" and can teleport to its location. So are Telefrags possible

•The Champions don't have a special weapons. As well there is no loadout like in Doom. Instead are all Weapons and Items on the map as pickups

•Rockt Launcher, Railgun und Lighting Gun are in Quake Champions

•A "classic" mods without Champions is not planned. But it is possible

•In Quake Champions will be Matchmaking, a Ranking System and Saisons. Similar to Quake Live

•Quake Champions will focus on esport. This include special gamemodes, a Spectator mode and Tournaments from id and Bethesda

•Quake Champion could be Free2Play. But it isn't sure. They are testing a various of business models. The developer want the big as possible player base for the game

Source: http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/quake-champions/news/quake_champions,53926,3274935.html

If Quake Champions is Free2Play, Then the Single Player is a possibility for retail versions...

If id wants to push Quake as a *sigh* esports game, I think their best bet would be to focus on CTF as the main "esports". No other game out there really seems to fill that niche at the moment so it would be cool to see that niche filled once again. Plus CTF is a natural fit to the 5v5 setup id seems to think would work best for a competitive game.

I mean shit, I love duels just as much as a lot of the folk here but most games dead focused on 1v1 tend to fizzle out with non super hardcore eventually (look at Starcraft 2, or hell Quake 3 for the most part [aside from when Quakecon's going on]). Meanwhile team based games seem to have a lot longer "legs" so to speak, mostly due to the lower barrier of entry methinks but I don't actually have any data on that besides assumptions.

I really hope it isn't free 2 play. No one takes those games seriously. People will fork out money for a Quake game. They just need to market it right.

Yumemitchi said:

If id wants to push Quake as a *sigh* esports game, I think their best bet would be to focus on CTF as the main "esports". No other game out there really seems to fill that niche at the moment so it would be cool to see that niche filled once again. Plus CTF is a natural fit to the 5v5 setup id seems to think would work best for a competitive game.

Well, Tim said they're making one of their team modes "more eSports focused", so it seems like it won't be a brand new mode. It's going to be an existing team mode, and CTF definitely seems like the most likely candidate.

Obviously Clan Arena has become a popular mode, but that mode doesn't take advantage of all of Quake's strengths, so I don't see that being the choice.

TheWizard said:

I really hope it isn't free 2 play. No one takes those games seriously.

The two largest competitive games right now are League of Legends and Dota 2, both of which are f2p, and taken very seriously by their gargantuan fanbases.

Right, now mention two big F2P FPS arena shooters nowadays with a relatively big fanbase and an even larger active mapping community.

No, TF2 doesn't count.

rileymartin said:

The two largest competitive games right now are League of Legends and Dota 2, both of which are f2p, and taken very seriously by their gargantuan fanbases.

The thing about League and Dota is they're basically the first of their kind, it's a little different. They're also based off a mod from a god damn Blizzard game. Yeah, what about all other free copycat MOBAs that nobody gives a shit about?

I should have been more clear. There are so many extremely shitty free FPS games out there. We're talking strictly FPS games here. How is Quake going to stand out among all the 100's of free FPS games? How will they convince people who don't really know any better that Quake isn't just a cute little free shooter that they can play while they wait for the next Battlefield or CoD?

Quake needs marketing, and a lot of it, immediately to convince newcomers and even old stubborn Quake players to convert. That it's actually a game to be taken seriously. That it's actually a game that over-shadows massive shooters like CS:GO in skill.

Quake Champions will be competing against CS:GO and Overwatch, whether the games are similar or not in gameplay. Possibly UT if they get their shit together, but I doubt it, since it's also going to be F2P and I guarantee it will fail because of that.

If it becomes F2P I hope I am wrong. I really do.