• No Rest for the Living
    • Final Doom: Plutonia
    • Final Doom: TNT
    • PSX Doom
    • Doom 64
    • Doom 3 / RoE
    • DOOM 2016
    • Other (Please specify)

So I've seen a lot of people tossing opinions around which is great, but I'd love to see it by the numbers - What is your favorite DOOM campaign?

Another thread where it's unclear whether we should only judge the stock maps or whether usermade wads made for the given game count towards the game's merit, resulting in inconsistent interpretations of the topic and therefore inconsistent answers, and spoiling the poll's "research" purpose. That said, even if you made it clear which way we should see the topic, experience says that some people would always vote as if it was the opposite way around, anyway.

I think it's quite clear that it's referring to the campaign that shipped with the game and not user made mods. Anyways, I voted for Plutonia. I remember not being a fan of it when I first played it and my impression of it was "lol teleport spam". I think replaying the IWAD's again after a very long break from Doom, and watching some of BigMacDavis' walkthough commentary, made me appreciate the design much more. It's consistently challenging while keeping the monster counts low and maps generally short for more quality over quantity gameplay.

What!?! You're making me choose between Ultimate Doom and Doom 64!?!

This is madness!

On a serious note:

UDoom is simply great, no denying that.
Doom 2 is cool with its variety of enemies and that crazy boss level.
Evilution has an awesome soundtrack.
Plutonia has some fucking hard maps.
Doom 3 has a very atmosphere
Doom 64 is just awesome with that OST and darkness

1. DOOM 2016
2. DOOM 1993
3. DOOM 64
4. PSX DOOM
5. DOOM II
6. DOOM 3
7. DOOM 3 ROE
8 Final DOOM

I feel TNT was built a lot better than the original 2 campaigns, whether it be less time constraints, more talented mappers, more artistic freedom or whatever. It's just much better in terms of quality of map design and polish. Doom 2 in particular towards the second half has some really horribly built maps with visible glitches and errors minus the last few maps, which they obviously poured more effort into building up the climax at the end. Doom 2 as a whole feels like a U shape in terms of its quality, with good maps at the start and finish but shitty filler maps in the middle and since most people forget the middle part of the majority of games, only remembering the first few levels because that's the bunch they go through every time they feel like starting up a game and the last few levels because it's the end of the game so it's easier to remember how good they were.

SavageCorona said:

TNT was ... much better in terms of ... polish.

Hahahahahahaha, no.

SavageCorona said:

I feel TNT was built a lot better than the original 2 campaigns, whether it be less time constraints, more talented mappers, more artistic freedom or whatever. It's just much better in terms of quality of map design and polish. Doom 2 in particular towards the second half has some really horribly built maps with visible glitches and errors minus the last few maps, which they obviously poured more effort into building up the climax at the end. Doom 2 as a whole feels like a U shape in terms of its quality, with good maps at the start and finish but shitty filler maps in the middle and since most people forget the middle part of the majority of games, only remembering the first few levels because that's the bunch they go through every time they feel like starting up a game and the last few levels because it's the end of the game so it's easier to remember how good they were.

I liked TNT, but I wouldn't say it was better than the original two.

Maybe better then DOOM II

As a campaign, Doom 1. I still prefer Doom 2 over the first one because of more monsters and the SSG and all of that, but still, Doom 1 started it all, and it's the one that has had the more influence overall (I know this is subjective, but I think you get the point).

So, Doom 1.

Doom 1, easily. By a large margin as well.

I thought Episode 4 was fantastic too. Punishing with dark gothic design.

TNT is the closest to my ideal of a megawad out of these four. Atmospheric, imaginative, varied, appropriately minimalistic at times, with juicy, sometimes a bit tough action, and exploration. Dunno anything about console versions or modern games.

Kira said:

Still unapologetically a Plutonia fanboy.

Same o/ The rest don't interest me in the same way Plutonia does, heh. I find Doom 1 boring, and while Doom 2 and TNT are both pretty solid, they can't compare to the raw gameplay experience that Plutonia provides imo.

Plutonia could be my number 2 maybe but never number 1, it's just too repetitive for that. The decorations can change a bit but the formula is almost always the same in most levels.

scifista42 said:

Hahahahahahaha, no.

Bearing in mind I was only comparing it to Doom 2 in that post. Doom 2 has some really flat out bad levels in it.

I'll vote for the black sheep of the franchise, Doom 64. I'll always love the original Doom games, but these days, for me, Doom 64 is where it's at.

I don't know if I'm being fair on the classic Dooms. I voted for 2016.

Personally I doubt Doom 4 would ever entertain me for even half the life span as Doom 2 alone. But on the other hand it's because there were no other choices back then and it's the third party editor and modding contributions that kept it alive to this day. For me at least.

So vanilla vs vanilla, I would say Doom 2016 is my preference. The modern day mechanics, animations and music wins for obvious reasons.

This train of thought might get some people thinking, but I conclude that I rather play a new Doom 2016 installment over a new addition to the classic Dooms from John Romero himself, if that were to ever happen.

My current day preferences to replay are Plutonia followed by everything else in more or less chronological order (starting with D1). I haven't played Doom 2016. If I had a PC like that I probably would be playing Witcher 3 and eating ice cream and laughing maniacally.

My all-time favorites are probably Ultimate Doom and Plutonia. My favorite iwad level is still e4m2.

My favorite: all of Doom 1, excluding E4. I like E4, but I don't feel it should be tacked on like it is. Something a little more standalone would've been nice.

Doom 2 bores me. The levels (while more complex than Doom 1) don't feel as inspired, like it's missing that certain atmosphere that made Doom 1 so fun.

I love PSX Doom, even though I don't like the Jaguar texturing. The maps were actually improved upon gameplay-wise, such as repeatable lifts in E1M4. I also like the addition of Doom 2 monsters.

Between the two Final Doom episodes, I prefer Plutonia, TNT just doesn't do it for me. However, I don't really like Final Doom in general.

I'm okay with No Rest for the Living, but again, not a fan of "tack-ons" and like TNT it doesn't really do it for me.

Doom 64 is amazing and is easily my second favorite.

Doom 3 is also okay, but I don't play it anymore as I've grown tired of it. Never played too much of RoE, maybe I should as I hear people say it's better than the base game.

Have not yet played Doom 4, but it looks awesome.

SavageCorona said:

Bearing in mind I was only comparing it to Doom 2 in that post. Doom 2 has some really flat out bad levels in it.

And TNT doesn't? I'd argue that the lows of TNT are worse than the lesser levels in Doom 2. Doom 2 has one "flat out bad" level, and that's The Chasm. TNT has Metal, Habitat and a bunch of stuff in E3 that felt lazily slapped together. Consistency and polish is not something I'd describe TNT with, that goes to Plutonia.