Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quagsire

Am I the only who dislikes IRC with a passion?

I don't do IRC either, but you don't see me bitching about it...

Frankly, I only used IRC one or twice in my life, but from what I've seen it was pretty good. It's simple, easy and to the point. Discord from what I've seen is the same thing as every other chatting app out there like Telegram, and Viber. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I don't see what could make it so special either.

IRC is the oldest and simplest means of creating channels with structure where lots of people can congregate. It's lightweight and multiplatform. Hard to imagine playing multiplayer Doom without it.

J.B.R said:

Rofl weird using it, that made me laugh.

I tried using it before, something about it felt off to me.

Doomkid said:

IRC is the oldest and simplest means of creating channels with structure where lots of people can congregate.

Basically this.

I like it. Its like multiplayer notepad.

IRC is pretty awesome. For Doom and other creative stuff, it's a great platform for exchanging feedback and ideas, and I've made some wonderful and lasting friendships there.

I don't even know what IRC is.. Is it like a chatroom or something? Maybe i should try it..

Yes, its only you. Its been a huge part of my internet life for over 15 years. :P

IRC was like the biggest tool for illegal file sharing back when p2p networks weren't really in use yet. Nowadays of course more advanced systems took over, but some release groups continue to use IRC for their stuff.

Kirby said:

mIRC for life!!!

But that costs MONEY!! ;_;

I've used Discord before with my GF and a friend, and it was pretty good.

Haven't used IRC though, but I've been tempted on doing so.

I've used IRC once in my whole life, and its pretty neat.

What's to hate about it?

OH GOODY ANOTHER 'AM I THE ONLY [ONE]' QUESTION THREAD

Seriously do not fathom why people feel the need to validate their own likes or dislikes by attempting to seek the agreement of others. Either multiplayer Notepad is too dated and clunky for you, or you like its simplicity, ease, and number of clients to choose from, or whatever.

Well, not everyone is a happy socially awesome person 100% confident in themselves and 100% satisfied with their life. Some people have complexes, insecurities, and shit, and finding likeminded people helps them combat that a little bit. It might be kinda stupid but it is a very human thing to do I think.

kuchitsu said:

Well, not everyone is a happy socially awesome person 100% confident in themselves and 100% satisfied with their life. Some people have complexes, insecurities, and shit, and finding likeminded people helps them combat that a little bit. It might be kinda stupid but it is a very human thing to do I think.

How is being an awkward doofus connected to declaring your passionate dislike for a tool of social interaction on another tool of social interaction? Is IRC too invasive into the personal space of awkward doofuses? Are you proposing Facebook instead? There actually is an official, administration-sanctioned Doomworld Facebook group for such awkward doofuses! Join now!

kuchitsu said:

I have complexes, I have social anxiety, but do I shit on a chatting program meant to interact with other people in the world or not even chat with people at all? No.

dew said:

There actually is an official, administration-sanctioned Doomworld Facebook group for such awkward doofuses! Join now!

I will not.

I avoid Facebook like the plague, and have even gone to great lengths to blocking every instance of it, including the URLs. Same thing applies for Twitter.

I still go on Facebook though, I look at it at least, two or three times a day, mostly to check what my GF has posted and take some little peeks at things. Other then that, I could live without it.

The Doomworld Facebook page however, is a living breathing cancer.

Tritnew said:

The Doomworld Facebook page however, is a living breathing cancer.

Whats so bad about it? I checked it out and it seems pretty inactive but thats about it.