Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Am I the only one that likes the Doom movie?

Jayextee said:

OH GOODY ANOTHER 'AM I THE ONLY [ONE]' QUESTION THREAD

Seriously do not fathom why people feel the need to validate their own likes or dislikes by attempting to seek the agreement of others. Either multiplayer Notepad is too dated and clunky for you, or you like its simplicity, ease, and number of clients to choose from, or whatever.

yeah the fps scene was pretty cool

it would be awesome if there was a sam raimi style first person doom movie with equal parts comedy and horror

J.B.R said:

I enjoyed the movie and the FPS scene was badass.

Sadly, the FPS scene was the only one moment that I actually enjoyed throughout the whole movie.

It feels like a poor man's "Aliens". Generic stuff, but the FPS scene was good. It's the only thing that stands out of the movie

I actually never watched it, seeing all the bad reviews and shit it got from the Doom community when it came out.

rileymartin said:

I actually never watched it, seeing all the bad reviews and shit it got from the Doom community when it came out.

It's so bad that it's worth a single viewing.

I liked it.

Unfortunately, I like almost everything. So I'm not sure if I truly liked it.

But I liked it. I like alnost everything for some reason

MetroidJunkie said:

If they nixxed the bullshit Extra Chromosome story and just went with Demons from Hell, it could have been far better than it was.

Definitely agree. It was a fine B-Movie, none of the effects struck me as "flat out bad", but they made it a little too far removed from Doom, especially in terms of visuals. The marine outfits were wrong, a minor detail I know, but they just didn't strike me as a "troop of Doom marines" by any means. It did give a bit of a Doom3 vibe at times, that said. Worth a watch if you're bored, but it's nothing spectacular.

Watch it for the FPS scene. It's 4/5mn long. And it looks like a stupid haunted house mixed with a shooting gallery. But it's cool.

It was alright.
What little backstory Doom had was STILL changed in the movie, which was pretty weak.
I would've liked more crazy shit to start going on even if just the last 10 minutes; instead of Mr. D. Wayne Rock Johnson slowly getting bigger and more feral, it would've been great if a baron jumped out and just tore him in half, or a Cacodemon flew through the portal and started wreaking havoc. Instead it ends in a fist fight; AND NOT EVEN WITH A BERSERK!
I also thought the Max Payne movie was alright too. I know my tastes in movies, so I make no apologies.
Also also, if you liked the FPS scene, check out the movie Hardcore Henry; it was actually more enjoyable than the trailers made it look.

It was worth watching once I wouldn't watch it again but as other's have pointed out; that FPS scene was the fucking nuts.

It was okay I guess.
The ending, when they start using Batman voice and flying around like in those old martial art movies, was kinda awkward...

It was fun to watch when I was maybe 11 years old. It made me want to play Doom again for the first time in a few years. Maybe without it I wouldn't be here now.

Well, i haven't watched it myself yet, but it has Dwayne Johnson in it, so i'm sure it's a good film.

Solid, entertaining action movie with a good cast and some nice effects. It's one of those movies that I would gladly sit and watch if it's being broadcast on tv.

Hahahah, well played 40oz.

No, I sorta liked the Doom movie in a "it's so bad and has nearly no redeeming features but sometimes I really enjoy that" way.

But,

AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY DISLIKES THESE 'AM I THE ONLY ONE' THREADS? Probs not, but whatever man.

I don't know why people get so pissed when someone starts a question with "am I the only one". It's just an hyperbolic expression, it doesn't necessarily mean the person who asked thinks of him/herself as a special individual. It just means that they never/hardly came across someone who shares their point of view.

MetroidJunkie said:

If they nixxed the bullshit Extra Chromosome story and just went with Demons from Hell, it could have been far better than it was.

It had so many problems, that wouldn't have fixed much of anything. And I don't get the praise for the FPS scene, it was corny as balls. It was kind of impressive on a technical level, but the overall execution was underwhelming and it felt like I was watching a high budget home video of a haunted house attraction which is not a good thing.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

I don't know why people get so pissed -snip-

Woah, stop right there. Looks right now like I'm the only one vocalising such a dislike. But that right there is my caveat with the whole attitude; the hyperbole of taking very few opinions and portraying them as the majority is the flip-side of the exact coin of the 'AM I THE ONLY ONE' thread; as they usually do not convey that controversial or niche an opinion at all.

On-topic: the 'first person' bit of the Doom movie is IMO both its best and worst bit. It would be a great slice of action in a game, but works horribly in film. A wonderful example IMO of the differences between the media of games and film.

Well, it was just as good as any Alien-esque action flick, which is OK by me, but unless you told me it was supposed to be specifically based on Doom. I wouldn't have guessed it: it couldn't really get more generic than "Space marines, future megacorps and experiments gone wrong".

At least the connection (if any) with classic Doom was very weak. Don't forget that at the time, it was Doom 3 that was all the Rage (pun intended), and thus the movie should be viewed as nothing more than a tie-in for the most recent game in the series (to the extent that we can talk about a series of closely related games, ofc, with an average of a decade between the last two "sequels"). Already in 2004-2005, the connection of Joe Sixpack with the original Doom was all but inexistent, or at best similar to that which exists between hipsters and vinyl or cassette fads.

If you want better made (in the sense of being closer to Doom) movies, try Event Horizon (1997) and The Dark Side Of The Moon (1990). Everybody (?) knows the former, but the latter is more interesting IMO because it predates Doom:

@40oz

Heh, this thread isn't serious at all. I'm not trying to validate my views, I was merely curious to see how many other people actually find enjoyment in this admittedly mediocre B-movie.

it would have been so cool if fraggle had gotten his cameo XD

if the movie had been released this year i think there would have been a wave of angry people who never played doom but were pissed off that doomguy was aparently black. but when the movie got released and they realized that the rock was not doomguy some of them would start blindingly celebrating the movie. a few of the 15 year olds would then join doomworld just to make threads defending the movie and expressing how much they hate other young people and how they were born in the wrong generation