Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VentedPennies

Candyland - Feedback / Testing appreciated

Hey all,

I got another Snapmap at the level of testing. It includes unique encounters, a checkpoint system, and some side missions. The object is to blow the reactor to create a diversion, so you can sneak in and steal the secret recipe.

I played around a lot with lighting and FX. I also attempted to create a logic system that would create a random number of baddies of random baddy types (unique) on a single trigger. It has been more of a hassle than anticipated, and unless I figure out some streamlined version, I'm going to just do random relays. The plus of the logic system in here is it takes a lot less resources to create the encounters in contrast with random relays.

Anyways, I hope it's a fun map, and if you end up breaking it, please let me know where =)

Map ID: 8XDUXY5Q

Youtube clip:
https://youtu.be/MOifIERu5HI

Screenshots:

Hi there. Your map is surprisingly well polished. Candy hunting was fun as well. I think that the Caco behind the door who bit my head off as soon as I opened it was kind of a d!@k move but I can live with that. =]

Candyland has been updated.

First map:

That's all that's changed. But I didn't want to wipe the leaderboards, so I re-published under "CandyLand!"

I also have nearly finished CandyLand 2: The Escape.

Map ID: 3T9HMF6E

I hit both the object and network limit on this one. I tried to make the modules as dynamic as possible and that's what killed my resources. Each room also has multiple conditions (if you triggered the alarm, if you blew up 1, 2, or 3 power supplies). These have also hogged up the resources quite a bit.

In addition, I imagined the level being almost completely non-linear. I can't test all the different ways players will approach this level all by myself (hopefully) =)

I would appreciate anyone giving CandyLand 2 a playthrough for some feedback. What worked? What did you miss or could do without? What was confusing? What was maybe too easy? What bugged out?

At anytime during Candyland 2, you can press L3 (User Input 2) and hints will appear on your objectives. Ideally, the hints aren't needed and I can do away with them (and save me some resources!) But I'm also not sure how organically clear the objectives are already.

You can view some CandyLand 2 photos here
http://imgur.com/a/HsKZC

Pretty good map! Like really good! Who ever knew the candy land atmosphere can be used in an entertaining way?

Gameplay: 3/5 – Too many shield guys for my taste. They’re always troublesome to fight. But all-n-all, pretty good battles.
Difficulty: 5/5 – It’s the type of difficulty that’s manageable. No matter how many times I die, I can always play, since death only affects score. It’s a pretty damn good incentive to try again! Also difficulty alteration! Very good! Better than reloading the map everytime you die.
Map Design: 4/5 – COLORFUL! It’s more a twisted Willy-Wonka factory than candyland, but pretty good aesthetics nonetheless. Although it was troublesome trying to navigate the map.
Sound: 3/5 – Not bad. Song plays in tune to what’s happening.
Uniqueness: 4/5 – It’s pretty outlandish on how the map looks, and that what makes it stick out to me! It’s a tour through nightmare candy lane, with bubblegum bottles ready to be picked!
Technicality: 4/5 – Checkpoints are always a welcome feature, and the map didn’t crash on me when I played it! But for some reason, I can’t get 2 players to try it, not matter how many times I load the map!

Try to get that 2 player thing fixed, cause i really want to try this map again with others! Will give Escape Candyland a shot soon!

Thanks for playing and providing feedback!

I'll check on the 2 player issues. Sadly, I striped the second player option from Candyland 2 since it was impossible to do with the network limitations and it didn't seem like many people played the first candyland in co-op mode.

Nevertheless, I've taken feedback into account and the third map has 2 players again.

Alpaczino said:

Search code doesn't work.

I assume you mean for the first one? It's true! I put the wrong code up.

I must have copy and pasted the wrong code. Sorry.

Second one is
3T9HMF6E

And these codes can also be found at the lovely SnapMapHub.com

Sorry about the inconvenience.
Cheers!

Just clocked the first candyland. Its ok, liked the lights in few rooms and mancubus fight. Horsemen well nice too. I really liked the restarts, no lives to count, just -1000pts and ur on it again.
I must say that i got stuck wandering about without knowing where to go after killing horsemen, blowing the reactor and making the stairs appear. I've done a few rounds killing respawns, thinking have i misses anything, any hidden button to shoot, shall i kill everything?

Then there was this supply box at end the level... Wtf? A little generic box in the corner to exit such a colorful map?

Candyland 3 is up.

69A68CZX

20-30minute experience, action oriented with 5 boss battles with unique abilities. Flame-Cubus has a bullet shield, Jr spins you around, One-eyed slows you down the longer you contentiously fire, etc. I'll do a proper write-up sometime later.

Don't bother playing any of these maps because the patch broke all 3 of them. If they are ever fixed, I'll update here, but right now I have no motivation to fix new bugs, especially since I'll most likely have to do it after every update.

The update 'broke' empty containers (a fix is coming BTW) but since Candyland utilizes containers so prominently in the form of bottles, it screws up the map flow, enemy confrontations, progression and pacing.

Hopefully the fix comes soon - I wanted to go give Candyland 2 and 3 a go!

Yeah, both containers and lighting.

Lighting FX was unexpectedly raised from .01-.04% network usage to a whooping .20% and all the empty containers for the C4, Candy, Access codes, wrench, and other items that help with progression just don't work.

The lighting issued has made it impossible to fix the first map. Even after changing all the props to static, it's still above 100% network. I would have to delete an unspecified amount of lights to even save the map and make any new changes.

It's pretty frustrating, and my guess this won't be the last time maps will break after updates.

Although a changelog that documented all the changes in an update (lighting FX increased from X to Y, empty props no longer...) would probably help SNAPMAPPERS in the future.

^ I Heard you can fix the pickups using resource variable to trick it so that you can always pick them up no matter what .

I had a bug on one of my maps' pickups, and the fix was just give it a random 1+ of something. Be it health, ammo, armor, or even a resource that's never used. That should fix it right up.

Although the light thing isn't so easily repaired. I'm sorry, but you'll have to remove some lights to make this map work again. But modules can change color through signals now! Work around that, if you can, cause the first Candyland was EXCELLENT.

If you cannot fix it, i may have a gander at doing so meself. Although i won't probably do it as well as you.

I can't change anything on the first Candyland until I delete a certain number of lights. I don't know what the number is because nothing in SNAPMAP is detailed. Not the changes, not the number of lights, not how much over 100% I actually am.

Since I'm not willing to spend hours on the first part, I can't change the second (pickups). Feel free to work on it if you want.

I'm referring to the revised version "Candyland: the first mission", but I would be surprised if the original wasn't much worse off than the revision.

The Reason why network went over limit was because of the large explosion hazards Inside the reactor room, And some small empty modules linking between rooms .

I Fixed those small issues (I Hope you don't mind) and made each purple bottle pickup give you 1 armor on pickup (For sake of pickup-ability) .

Here's the ID : ZQWXEXKU

Hey, thanks! I'll check it out. Really, though, I'm taking a break from SNAPMAP because I don't need another source of uncontrollable heartbreak. Maybe in a few months I'll return and see where they've taken this beast.

Gave it a run. It's nearly the same as the last one, but with some missteps.

Gameplay: 3/5 - Still as fun as last time, even with limited weaponry. Still stingy with the security. But I remember more weapons than just shotty and plasma. Were there?
Difficulty: 5/5 - Same great difficulty parameters! Infinite lives, but every death takes a score deduction! Love it!
Map Design: 4/5 – Same great environmental effects, but I noticed lights missing, which is explainable. Good stuff.
Sound: 4/5 – Good change of music during events is always lovely.
Uniqueness: 4/5 – The candy aesthetics that made this map fun sticks, but the explosion of the reactor was underwhelming.
Technicality: 3/5 I ran into a good amount of questionable bugs during the playthrough. Ya missed some candy bottle being able to be pickup-able, and some checkpoints were not working properly. Also a teleporter was a Horsman.

Good rebux of a good map. A few more kinks need fixing, and it'll be as fun as it was! I can do the fixes, if you wish!

27. The player can get a max of 25, but I added 2 extras to help.

There's the initial one, then 3 in the first room, 3 in the first colorful hallway (one is given by hitting the switch 3 times), 3 in the green acid room, 1 in the first room after the colorful hallway, 1 in the next, 3 in the big room before the reactor, 3 in the reactor room, 4 in the platforming room that's accessible after you blow the reactor, 2 in the double hallway room with cacos, 1 in the room before the horsemen, 2 in the horsemen room, 1 in the final room.

I think that's right. I'm just basing this on memory.

Thanks for working on this. Unfortunately, I'll be unavailable to use SNAPMAP for about a month while I travel around. Feel free to do whatever, consider it in "public domain".

Hey, Just wanted to let you know the new update fixed something :

Empty Containers can now be picked up

So maybe your map is fixed too .

I thought clients are "the other players on the server", I don't know, going to test and c .

EDIT : Nope, they still don't block AI .