Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raymoohawk

gato303co's orbmonster model

Cool!

BTW, it is my understanding that both the orb monster and the serpent monster were originally created from 3D models. I wonder if those source models were archived in any form?

Hmm, I'm not sure if I actually read this anywhere in the forums, but I've always assumed that these two monsters were made from 3D models.

Hopefully someone can clarify this.

I always assumed it was a model, because it looks similar in style to the old seperpent sprite, which was made from a model. I thought they were both made by the same person, as models? Anyways, good stuff here.

Jejejeje, nunca esperé encontrar un post sobre mi arte 3D acá ^^; gracias por la mención.

Por cierto, seguí trabajando en el modelo, añadiendo una textura estilo "cyborg" y también haciendo el código de script para GZdoom. Adicional, hice una versión de "gore" para el monstruo, cuando este sufre y supera el límite de "gibhealth" (-90) y/o también cuando muere, deja el cuerpo en el suelo, es disparable y si muere (es un nuevo actor) también entra en el estado "gore".

Espero crear un video con el monstruo dentro del juego

[English]
Thanks for sharing my 3D model in this forum.

I worked more on the model, I added it a subtle "cyborg" texture and also I developed a GZDoom script to play with the monster in a separate *.PK3 file (loaded with the -file parameter in GZDoom).

Additional, I created a "gore" state that is activated when the monster dies with -90 health (gibhealth -90) and is also available when the monster dies, if you shoot the monster, its dead body may enter too the "gore state".

I hope to create a video with full demonstration of the model in-game

Hello Gato606! Do you have any plans for making models of other "retro" Freedoom monsters? Maybe weapons etc. as well?

BTW, can the model be used with the OpenQuartz/OQPlus Quake engine projects?

MrFlibble said:

Hello Gato606! Do you have any plans for making models of other "retro" Freedoom monsters? Maybe weapons etc. as well?

Hello there, MrFlibble.
Actually, I did a weapon mod for Doom2, based on Hunter's Moon mod and including 3D weapons from Quake 1, 2, 3 and 4. Also a gore mod, based also on Hunter's Moon. I want to pay my respects for people who make mods, it's a very long and tricky job.

I would like to model some decoration elements from/for FreeDoom, additional to the Orbmonster, I currently also modeled the explosive and fire barrels, I redesigned them a little, then I added them a couple of features, like being able to push them, pieces of it flying after explosion, you may get hurt with the fire barrel, and the fire barrel also explodes. I also created a shadow and a dynamic light for the fire barrel.

You may see a preview here:
https://youtu.be/Q0t2sXw5o4c

I would like to redesign the Tech Lamp and the Small Tech Lamp, because, I don't want to offend anyone, they don't look very good to me ^^;

MrFlibble said:

Do you mean using the *.pk3 file on a Quake 3 Arena engine??

Well, I created the *.PK3 to be used on GZDoom (might work on Skulltag/Zandronum?), so I don't think it would work on the quake engine, though the 3D models are inside the PK3, I think you would need to extract the models and textures, and create the animation, shaders and bot files (and create also the directory structure Quake3 uses) required to be functional on a Quake engine

welcome to the forum gato :)

have you checkede out cwolf's tech lamps? they are much better than the previous version

Gato, he meant for the Quake 1 engine AKA *.PAK files.

Although Darkplaces can load PK3 files too(i only played with that port)

Voros said:

Gato, he meant for the Quake 1 engine AKA *.PAK files.

Although Darkplaces can load PK3 files too(i only played with that port)

Still, mine are *.MD3 models, as far as I know, Quake 1 uses *.MDL models, no? (which I haven't been able to find a software or add-on to import them or open them and edit them) And also I think you still need to do the "progs" files for the meshes to work on the game, I think? ^^;

And yeah, I also have played a lot with Darkplaces engine, it comes with the Ubuntu Linux official repositories.

But I found it easier to mod for Zdoom/GZDoom, there is a big documentation on http://zdoom.org/wiki/Main_Page

raymoohawk said:

welcome to the forum gato :)

have you checkede out cwolf's tech lamps? they are much better than the previous version

Where may I find them?? Cause I downloaded and checked the Freedoom 0.10 (I use SLADE3 for viewing/editing), there are slightly differences with the 0.9 version, but still, I think it need a bit of redesign ;-)

Btw, I wonder if you read my idea for a background story for FreeDoom on MrFibble's post?? ;-)

a lot of decoration and pickup sprites were updated in the latest build. I was going to link it, but soulsphere is only listing freedm for some reason

anyways below you can see a few of the updated sprites mostly done by cwolf and the soda. The first two are the technolamps

also you can see the newest version of the large torches that wcolf made. It hasn’t been added yet cause I need to palletize it first

http://imgur.com/a/a4SSR

about the story i think an ambiguous story would work best at this point in development and yours does seem ambiguos enough to me. that said if we do ever atract mappers to the project than i think the mappers should come up with a story they can tell trough design

they are great, cwolf has a really nice gothic like style and i think it would be convenient to expand that theme to as much of freedoom assets as we can

gato would you be willing to make a more techie looking barrel model that we could use to render a new sprite?

raymoohawk said:

a lot of decoration and pickup sprites were updated in the latest build. I was going to link it, but soulsphere is only listing freedm for some reason

anyways below you can see a few of the updated sprites mostly done by cwolf and the soda. The first two are the technolamps

http://orig02.deviantart.net/dcd7/f/2016/181/0/7/props_by_raymoohawk-da8a8z6.png

also you can see the newest version of the large torches that wcolf made. It hasn’t been added yet cause I need to palletize it first

http://imgur.com/a/a4SSR

I don't know, I think I talked before about "overstuffing" the designs (Maybe on the YouTube FreeDoom channel) -no offense intended-. My style of design is trying to do simple and clean designs, and with all due respect those techlamps are unnecesarily overdesigned in my opinion, same with the tech pillar (I assume is the last sprite to the right ELECA0 ), I prefer the 0.10.1 released version, I find it better than the 0.9 version.

The large torches look fine.

raymoohawk said:

they are great, cwolf has a really nice gothic like style and i think it would be convenient to expand that theme to as much of freedoom assets as we can

gato would you be willing to make a more techie looking barrel model that we could use to render a new sprite?

@Raymoohawk what do you mean by "a more techie looking barrel model"??
That barrel design is based on the BAR1A0 / BAR1B0 from Freedoom iWAD:

raymoohawk said:

no offense taken, different people like different things :)

What did you mean by "a more techie looking barrel model"??

I might model the technolamps, but take in count, as a designer, I may take the freedom to redesign them. Also for the tech pillar, I'll definitely would go for the 0.10.1 version, not the one on the sprites you posted here.

TBH I feel like the barrel to use a redesign/edit to fit this new art direction I'm seeing now.

That's just what I think.

Gato606 said:

Also for the tech pillar, I'll definitely would go for the 0.10.1 version

I also like that version more. IIRC Sodaholic even said that the current version (shown in raymoohawk's post above) was not complete:

Sodaholic said:

FWIW, my pillar was only meant to be an example of what I disagreed with CWolfRu's direction on, not meant to have actually been put in the game.

It needs some serious shading and detail work.

MrFlibble said:

The new large torches are simply amazing.

Do you mean the torches in the Raymoohawk's link?? Oppossed to the "animals" like torches seen in the 0.10.1 (those that look like dragons) ??
(makes me think about a "furry" Doom version ^^; )

Yeah, the torches in Raymohawk's link look better ^^;

Voros said:

TBH I feel like the barrel to use a redesign/edit to fit this new art direction I'm seeing now.

That's just what I think.

Sorry, but which is the new art direction?? Like in CWolfRus kind of techonlogic style??

raymoohawk said:

i just meant a barrel kinda like the one in quake 2

I am thinking in retouching the barrels, maybe doing the upper part a bit bigger, and definitely I think I am going to unwrap again the model and doing again the uv unwrapping (the first one has many problems - I was a begginer on Blender uv unwrapping at that moment) and maybe adding a yellow/black warning texture in the base.

I don't think I would make big changes in the 3D mesh. Also, if you would like to make some changes, I can share the *.Blend (3D mesh) and *.XCF file(texture GIMP format) with the Creative Commons, Attribution, Share Alike license, so you can modify it if you think you can add changes to the mesh or texture.

I checked your Freedoom barrel video, and it looks pretty good. But you should either scrap that green color or make it look more metallic/techy. Then some minor edits with the shape/design.