Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Thank You to All Level Designers . . .

. . . and graphic artists, and source port & editor developers, and helpful forum posters, and Doomworld maintainers, and musicians, and everyone else who has contributed a lot to the community. Sometimes we might take it for granted, but all of the cool Doom stuff from the past couple of decades didn't suddenly materialize out of some forgotten buttcrack of hell. It was all a product of someone's hard -- or drug-fueled, or lazy but still inspired somehow -- work, and for that, thank you.

I don't quite understand why you're leaving now. You've made plenty of decent maps, and I've enjoyed most of them as well. Care to explain why you are leaving?

Breezeep said:

I don't quite understand why you're leaving now. You've made plenty of decent maps, and I've enjoyed most of them as well. Care to explain why you are leaving?

Huh, I'm not planning on leaving. Just felt like showing some appreciation. :D

Where does it say that rdwpa is leaving? This just looks like a thank you to everyone in the community for making cool stuff.

edit: ninja'd o/

sorry about that, It was just a bit of a misunderstanding. I thought your post looked like a goodbye message. Anyways, I appreciate your works too.

rdwpa said:

forgotten buttcrack of hell.

Someone's gonna be like, "This map was inspired from a post on Doomworld...."

Also thanks dudes for all the cool levels. A very special thanks to all the people who took the time to playtest my levels and for telling me everything I did wrong. And many thanks to the very talented musicians we've got cooking up some wicked tunes. Not sure how to give proper thanks to everyone in general for making maps and for playing my maps and everything but I've got some new ones coming on the way, as well.

rdwpa said:

but all of the cool Doom stuff from the past couple of decades didn't suddenly materialize out of some forgotten buttcrack of hell

valkiriforce said:

Someone's gonna be like, "This map was inspired from a post on Doomworld...."

Well, there already is a WAD somebody pulled out of his ass, so you never know ;-)

I'm grateful to some level designers, but then there are others that shifted peoples' tastes in ways that I don't like. And the more mappers get influenced by them, the less interesting maps I personally get to play. So I can't say thank you to everyone.

Cheer up K, you're more negative than ever recently.

To rdwpa, I thank you for being a brilliant member of this community! It does seem critique and negativity is more prevalent than thanks and motivation (I am as guilty of this as anyone) so it's nice to see a thread dedicated to thanking everyone.

Cheers! :)

Raise a glass to Doom World, Quake's 20th anniversary and Doom 2016 not being a complete mess.

kuchitsu said:

I'm grateful to some level designers, but then there are others that shifted peoples' tastes in ways that I don't like. And the more mappers get influenced by them, the less interesting maps I personally get to play. So I can't say thank you to everyone.

What sort of map design shift is not to your taste that's become popular? Genuinely curious.

rileymartin said:

What sort of map design shift is not to your taste that's become popular? Genuinely curious.

My guess is slaughtermapping.

Dragonfly said:

My guess is slaughtermapping.

i believe he is talking about the highly-polished, streamlined design of PWADs like BTSX that emphasize map flow.

to echo what rdwpa sounded off with, this would not be as interesting a community without the oodles of user-created content, something id must have realized when they made the WAD format and, especially, released the source code.

Playing Doom is, for me, something like zen. Something which would never have been possible without years and years of (mostly) unremunerated labor of love by countless content contributors--WADsters, musicians, graphic artists, coders, writers, runners, players, the lot. So, yes, since the opportunity to express it has arisen, my thanks to you all; past, present, and future. Hell, even to those who've made stuff I didn't particularly like--"without light there is no shadow etc. etc. etc."

\m/

As a kid, I was completely stocked about the numbers of Doom levels: 36 for Ultimate Doom, 32 for Doom 2, 64 for Final Doom, 20(+1) Master Levels... wow! So much content! And some levels look really hard. I can play Doom all my life with all of this!

And here I am, decades later, and everytime I think I got the best there can be for my own tastes, someone comes from nowhere and surprises me. And sometimes, I look back at wads done long ago, and realize that there are gems that slipped under my radar.

So thank you, guys. Whether you are still contributing or not.

kuchitsu said:

My god, what a despicable thing to say. In a thread that is all about celebrating our commitment to one of the longest-standing active communities in video game history, you want to display this sort of attitude. Well, okay then. You can't say thank you to everyone? What sort of a message are you sending, here? You're an outspoken contributor on these forums, your words have meaning, and I don't care one jot or tittle for your personal vendettas and thinly-veiled disdains; this sort of talk helps foster an air of ignorance and disrespect on a website that depends on the opposite for healthy development.

Sometimes you have my admiration for wearing your opinions so unabashedly, but this sort of slighted undermining of your fellow Doom hobbyists is toxic to all progress. Open critique of fellow peoples' works should be encouraged and upheld - it is the driving force behind change - but attitudes like this should be squashed by all members at all times. Please try to be more responsible with your comments.

Doom is forever immortalized through the endless user created content. So many maps and WADS and mods and you name it! Goes on forever. Decades of material. Will take a lifetime to get through, and that's something special. Few games have that sort of appeal.

Indeed thank you content developers for constantly rejuvenating this classic, timeless game through new levels to play and explore.

I feel graphic designers and musicians honestly deserve more credit than just the level designers. While it's true we're still using stock textures to great effect without the resource creation in the community I doubt we would have such a thriving diversity of content.

kuchitsu said:

I want to find some way to transform this comment into a food like substance and then stick it in the oven and melt it down so I can pour it all over myself.

Tarnsman said:

I feel graphic designers and musicians honestly deserve more credit than just the level designers.

I'm inclined to agree. In fact, here is how I feel about how much credit do particular groups of Doom creators deserve, from most to least:

1. Creators of the official games
2. Creators of editors for the games
3. Creators of source ports for the games
4. Creators of public technical information references about the games
5. Creators of custom music for the games
6. Creators of custom graphics for the games
7. Creators of custom maps for the games
8. Creators of custom mods for the games
9. Creators of fanfics or fanart related to the games

That said, yeah, thank you to all of them (and to those whom I forgot to mention too).

Good initiative, Rdwpa. A resounding 'Thank You' to all creators of DooM out there! Quite a lot of this stuff is better than anything that can be bought in a store.

Even though I get slammed for posting a lot in EE, I still have made some pretty good threads that keep people discussing and some maps that have gotten some good reviews, and a large project that's almost done. I know it's drops in the bucket, but thanks for this post, man.

Thanks to all the backdoor braggarts out there, you guys make me think anything is possible ~!!! <3

Occasionally, I still think about how absurdly phenomenal it is that not only has the Doom community survived more than 20+ years, but that it's extremely passionate and consistently pumping out interesting content. From music, to mods, to community megawads, to nutty shit like Seinfeld.wad, an unprecedented amount of work goes into a multitude of fields which all revolve around a silly game about shooting 2D cartoony demons. I feel like we shouldn't justy congratulate the community for everything they've done, but also applaud how insanely invested they've been in producing, editing, and discussing every effort that gets released here. It's an overwhelmingly easy task to simply retract and stay quiet; thank you to everyone that not only remains outspoken, but works so damn hard that their content is able to see the light of day.

We are an undeniable few that make a hell of a lot of stuff.

scifista42 said:

I'm inclined to agree. In fact, here is how I feel about how much credit do particular groups of Doom creators deserve, from most to least:

1. Creators of the official games
2. Creators of editors for the games
3. Creators of source ports for the games
4. Creators of public technical information references about the games
5. Creators of custom music for the games
6. Creators of custom graphics for the games
7. Creators of custom maps for the games
8. Creators of custom mods for the games
9. Creators of fanfics or fanart related to the games

That said, yeah, thank you to all of them (and to those whom I forgot to mention too).

And thank you for this gem of a post, I laughed out loud in the company car on the way to a work meeting and my colleagues are looking at me funny. Now I just need to decide where to place my personal BDL cutoff line on that scale. I'd say between 2 and 3, because that way I can thank boris and secretly mean myself!

On a more serious note, I think as a collective, the larger Doom community is awesome, unique and doing just fine.