Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SharkLordSatan

Converting Map Formats

EDIT: please ignore this lol im sorry for spamming the forums btw

So, for my Halo/Doom WAD I need some textures for the first level. Here's what I currently need:

* Textures for vending machines
* Textures for space or some other space-related skybox texture (stars and Earth at least)
* Textures for kitchen appliances (stoves, ovens, fridges, trays, etc.)
Does anyone know or have any textures/texture packs for these?

Also, I have a problem. I have props loaded into GZDB but they're not showing up in any of the things folders. However, the monsters I've inserted are. I'm using GZDoom: Doom 2 (Doom) Format. Am I using the wrong format?

You should use the UDMF format, it's much better.
Also, there isn't a new folder containing the props, right?

Frisky said:

You should use the UDMF format, it's much better.
Also, there isn't a new folder containing the props, right?

No, there isn't (unless you mean Decorate), because yes there is, but that's for some NPCs I'm working on for my WAD. No props show up there.

Also, I would try out the UDMF or whatever format but it dosen't show the map I'm trying to work on when I'm selected. I can load resources into it though.

If you have an existing map in non-UDMF format and you want to edit it in UDMF format, you must convert it to UDMF first. See here or here or here.

Alright, well, do you know any good UDMF converters for newbies like me? Because honestly, I don't know jack shit about UDMF.

So I'm trying to use the converter(?) from this forum thread ( https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/84675-how-do-i-use-udmf-convert/ ) but every time I try to use zwadconv.exe it's opening up a console thing, and I can see a little bit of text before it immediately closes out for no reason.

Zwadconv is a command line utility. Don't expect any GUI. You need to launch the program with parameters specifying the input (the wad with your map) and output (the wad where the converted map will be saved into). You can launch it for example from a command prompt or via a batch file. When given valid parameters, the program will do its job (convert the map from the input file and save it into output file) and quit itself immediately. Here is the parameter syntax:

zwadconv source.wad output.wad
In the code above, replace "source" with your wad's name, and possibly replace "output" with some other name.

Okay, I'm really sorry for being a bother, but none of this is making sense to me. How do I launch the zwadconvert.exe in the first place properly? I've tried dragging and dropping it into the cmd and typing in intro.wad M1.wad but it says "cannot access intro.wad", even if the wad is in the zip file I'm using the convert.exe in.

I'm probably doing this horribly wrong, but this is my first time doing anything like this, and I'm extremely unfamiliar with anything of this sort.

1. Unzip zwadconv into a new folder.
2. Put the wad with your map into this folder.

Then either:

3. Open command prompt in this folder.
4. Type "zwadconv source.wad output.wad" and press enter.

Or (alternatively):

3. Create a new .txt file in this folder. (give it any name you want)
4. Open the file in a text editor and type "zwadconv source.wad output.wad" into it.
5. Close the file and change its file suffix from .txt to .bat.
6. Double-click the file to launch it.

Oh okay, thank you so much for explaining! I'll try the latter one first and see if that gets me anywhere.

Okay, now I have it converted, but when I try to open the wad in GZDB it's still not showing up.

Make sure that you are actually opening the wad which zwadconv generated as its output.

By the way, use the "edit" button on this forum instead of posting multiple times in a row.

I just wanted you to make sure that the map is there at all. Okay, what are the contents of the wads (input and output) when you open them in SLADE3? (either post screenshots, or list lump names, or just upload the wads)

EDIT: Oh wait! Zwadconv converts maps from Doom format to Hexen format, not to UDMF. You should use udmfconvert or whatever actual UDMF converter. Or you can open the map in Hexen format in GZDB and then go to Map Options and change Game Configuration to an UDMF one - I think GZDB can handle conversion from Hexen to UDMF, though a direct conversion from Doom to UDMF would fail, that's why you need those other utilities.

Here's a screenshot of the wads (Intro and M1). They're both pretty much the same except M1 has a extra thing in it's files.

EDIT: OH ok, do you have a link to a proper converter?

Please don't keep the title as [ignore, resolved] if someone wants to know how to convert map formats they'd have better luck with a title like, "Converting Map Formats" in the future.

everennui said:

Please don't keep the title as [ignore, resolved] if someone wants to know how to convert map formats they'd have better luck with a title like, "Converting Map Formats" in the future.

ok, will update that now.

Kappes Buur said:

Instead of UDMFconvert use the following:

1. Convert the Doom format map to Doom in Hexen format with zdwadconv.exe. You can find it in utils050999.zip
    It is easy to use, see the text file.

2. Open the converted map in GZDoom Builder. Use Map Options (F2) and select Doom in UDMF.
This way you can preserve most line specials. I mention most because not all specials are translatable.