Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marcaek

Mayhem '16: Juneheim [Map compilation updated October 1st]

Version 2. Removed the invul (too easy; rad suits redundant), shifted the bfg, and reworked the imp rush after the arena is left: the geometry allows them to more smoothly follow the player up north. The viles now spawn in after the fact, so as to actually resurrect stuff instead of just blazing in. A bit better! More fisticuffs.

I am still on holiday at the moment but thought I would drop a message to say I am happy to work on a titlepic and M_Doom lumps etc if nobody else has opted in yet. :)

what an original idea w o w

@Dragonfly: If you want to take a crack at it feel free!

(FDAs in GLBoom+ complevel 9 skill 3 using Resource Version 5d)
In reverse order as I trawl backwards through the thread:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/w86uh3o886aoody/MAY16FDA01.zip

Pinchy - Darkvault - (Darkvault.wad)

It's got quite the Quake vibe going on, with the wizard blue textures and surprisingly impressive midi. I killed a lot of monsters but ended up at a loss as to how to proceed any further, so some problems there, but otherwise pretty cool.
---
Joe Ilya - MAP15 - Melancholy Premises - (killer.wad)

This is a happy map, that just wants to have a good time. It made me recall lazy summer days in downtown Ryleh, only without all the screaming. It's very loose and open, and more or less what you expect of a Joe Ilya map, and towards the end I was getting a bit bored looking for the blue key, but it's got a neat puzzle in that regard and casually strolling through it's strange angles in search of a bigger gun was quite enjoyable until I ran out of monsters to kill.
---
Alfonzo - The Performance - (Fonz-M16_02.2.wad)

Having played a few Alfonzo maps previously, I was naturally expecting a merciless beating, and it didn't disappoint. I gave it second shot on skill 2, but the arena didn't seem to get any easier. There's a good idea at the heart of this, but for someone of my skill level, the margin for error is too slim for this to ever be fun, and as Sandy Peterson once remarked, it's not always the good ideas that work. The level construction and music however are solid, and new ideas are always welcome to see, even if they happen to turn out flawed.

Cheers, Urthar. I certainly had problems implementing the skill levels in a way that reliably widens the margin for error, as you say - it's a tough one! Success is almost entirely dependent on the player's awareness and movement skills, and those things can't really be balanced for, unless I can think of a way to alter the playing field on lower levels. I'll tinker around some more; it's a concept that I'm happy to have realised even if it doesn't quite work, in any case.

Quaker Plumbing INC.

Music track is 'Headquarters' from Ninja Warriors Again.

Map 16, plays in map01 slot.

I was kinda scrambling to get this thing done and I haven't really tested this fully, so this map might be a bit rough. Feedback is much appreciated.

EDIT: It appears that I forgot to read the updated mapslot spreadsheet, mapslot is actually map17 Will ad 10 more monsters tomorrow.

I attempted a map, but did not come close enough to finishing it to submit for Juneheim. I made the layout too big for only having a month. Build time: about 15-20 hours. I just haven't had much time to put toward mapping these days.

Anyways here's some pics:

I believe Marcaek is allowing for exceptional forays into July if you're scrubbing up on a map that has been shown to be near completion... but don't quote me on that! Or do; I'm sure he reads all of this stuff, anyway. It's the playtesting month, and a map not being finished can be considered a bug of sorts, I think? :)

In an case, I'm still working on finishing up that map I offered screenshots of earlier.

Alfonzo said:

This map will accrue hate points.

that's my cue. here's an fda for v02: https://www.mediafire.com/?e10c3hu8p5l6eaq

brilliant little thing, love how harsh it feels without veering into sarcastic levels of difficulty. I didn't quite get the cybs at first, I thought somehow their activation was tethered to the lowering floors. The strat I ended up using in that area maybe feels a tad less action-packed than anticipated, it might even be possible to not use the cybs at all? the invis sphere seems inconsequential btw, it wears off well before enough imps have accrued to be threatening, and it's not like the player's going to get hit much during the intial phases.

also hurray ludicrously tight ammo balance, about time we see some non-ToD maps with mandatory cyb 2-shotting :)

I have to go out very very soon but yes: You can dip into July to finish maps. I'm trying to be as flexible as possible with timelimits without venturing into full-on 1500 territory this year.

Update to my 160 things map, Affinity.

I need to enact actual version control on these things because I've just been re-uploading to Dropbox willy-nilly as I fix things - but here's what I've changed since my original post, for the curious.

- Fixed an errant flat in the sky.
- Fixed the forcefields so they don't appear as solid walls from behind.
- Small texture touchups and thing placement corrections.
- Probably addressed some difficulty issues.
- uhhhhhhhh

Breezeep said:

http://i.imgur.com/iXT6FlG.png
http://i.imgur.com/i0bsZFb.png

Quaker Plumbing INC.

Music track is 'Headquarters' from Ninja Warriors Again.

Map 16, plays in map01 slot.

I was kinda scrambling to get this thing done and I haven't really tested this fully, so this map might be a bit rough. Feedback is much appreciated.

EDIT: It appears that I forgot to read the updated mapslot spreadsheet, mapslot is actually map17 Will ad 10 more monsters tomorrow.

I was in the mood for something light and short and misread this through no fault of yours as 160 things.

Here's an FDA though: http://www.mediafire.com/download/2nwe8mk1ze00do9/bremay_rdwpa_fda.lmp

Early on I totally forgot I had picked up the RL, so there's a bit of time-wasting looking for it.

Seems like a very competent post-BTSX/skillsaw/etc. map. :) The YK trap seems easy to escape from, by either slipping around or firing rockets at the somewhat easy-to-anticipate mancubus door that warps in. Would add a few beefy monsters around there and a few in the last encounter with the single archvile, which kind of confused me. Would put the medkit in the SS secret in front of the soulsphere, so it can be useful if the player has >90% health.

rdwpa said:

I'd be interested, if people who didn't sign up are allowed.

I didn't sign up for either of my maps

Quaker Plumbing INC. Version a.

The map now has 170 monsters, so It should be suitable for the map17 slot. (map still plays on map01). I've also cleaned up the automap a bit and fixed an issue where the player can get stuck behind the blockade when they circle back to it after they finished the blue key encounter. Let me know if there is anything else that needs changing.

Map beta will be here soon, I have a few important points before I write proper feedback posts.

Remmirath: your map has carbon copy arenas for each key and a really bad cave area at the exit IMO. I would suggest you ditch the exit cave as it is now, and also design each key area completely different and use different monster combinations in each to mix up the gameplay\visuals. As it stands I just circlestrafe with plasma and beg the the exit teleporter to lower so I can get back to the interesting part of the map. Would also suggest using Boom's height transfer on the pits near the Red key so it's less uncomfortable to move over.

Walter and chaingunnerx: I'm fairly disappointed with your maps this time around considering how interesting your stuff for 2048 was. Pretty much just generic box techbases :/ If you want to take the time to redesign them a bit it would be appreciated, but as it stands I'm unsure whether or not I want to keep them.

Marcaek said:

Walter and chaingunnerx: I'm fairly disappointed with your maps this time around considering how interesting your stuff for 2048 was. Pretty much just generic box techbases :/ If you want to take the time to redesign them a bit it would be appreciated, but as it stands I'm unsure whether or not I want to keep them.

Really? Actually the map is good in this way for me, also that design choice is intentional... but i'll see how to change this...

Very Very Very small update, actually it might be just adding a MIDI iirc... Might have rebuilt the nodes or something though.

Get V1.1 HERE.

EDIT: also, this map seems to require -complevel 09 to work properly, is that okay for this project?

I'm doing level name graphics for this, thusly:

Please name your maps if you haven't already!

also I'm not doing map01's string of obscene sibilances, get super-phukt tarns

Jimmy said:

Please name your maps if you haven't already!

I'll name my map Blood from a Stone.