Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Monsters With Very Odd Attack Patterns

(PS: Can a mod please move this to "Doom General"? Posted in the wrong section.)

The arachnotron-riding two-headed chaingunner (lol) from All Hell is Breaking Loose is notable for firing continuously even if its target moves out of range or dies. It'll just spam eternally at where its target last was, until prompted otherwise. It also looks like this:

What monsters, or mapsets containing them, do you know of with silly attacks like this? I really like this stuff. Preferably not trolly nonsense, like The Sky May Be or whatever.

I think the example you posted is not a silly attack, but a modder's oversight. I managed to get the same non-stop attacking behaviour when i was messing with decorate and editing monsters..

ChekaAgent said:

I think the example you posted is not a silly attack, but a modder's oversight. I managed to get the same non-stop attacking behaviour when i was messing with decorate.

Yeah it's Refire gone haywire. For the purpose of the thread, it doesn't really matter whether it's intended or not. :)

The final boss of my 100th Wave megawad has this same bug.

I also made a wad where the revenant shot rockets that homed back on him instead of the player, I have no idea why it happened.

Scypek2 said:

I also made a wad where the revenant shot rockets that homed back on him instead of the player, I have no idea why it happened.

You made the revenant rocket home in on its target? Or maybe you made a two-stage setup where the rocket fires another homing rocket and disappears.

Dark Bishops in Hexen. Why do they go around firing at the walls when you're nowhere near them? Also Inquisitors in Strife do the same once they get started with the grenades. They can be behind a shut door firing grenades into it constantly.

IIRC, stalker bosses also try to shoot projectiles even when there's no line of sight.

If I had to guess, at least with bishops it seems intentional, as their projectiles can sometimes go around a corner and surprise a player hiding behind it.

This is making me want to see a thread dedicated to hilarious monster-mashups, that double chaingunner-o-tron is comedy gold.

Well, the earliest odd/stupid attack monster I can remember is the "bazookaman" from Obituary: he ended up blowing himself and other monsters around him 90% of the time, rather than being a threat to the player. Rocket attack + no immunity to blast + the brains of a Doom monster = derp.

Also there were those weird delayed attack imp lookalikes in Strain: those were actually modified arachnotrons. They could move very quickly (like nightmare pinkies, more or less), but they lacked melee, and when attacking they would freeze for 2-3 seconds before firing a continuous stream of fireballs like arachnotrons. It looked kinda creepy, for some reason.

Then there are those screaming suicide zombies used in some mods. In general, they are a laughing stock for how inefficient their attack is and their constant screaming. In very particular maps however, if the setting and ambience is right, they can be quite scary.

But the oddest/most ridiculous attack pattern IMO belongs to the good old pinky: no other stock monster in Doom has such a delayed melee attack, which is also its only attack and so inefficient that they just end up chasing uselessly after other monsters, attempt biting them like 20 times, and when finally they succeed to land a hit they just get bitch-slapped and downed in 1-2 hits.

GoatLord said:

This is making me want to see a thread dedicated to hilarious monster-mashups, that double chaingunner-o-tron is comedy gold.

Have you played Beyond Reality? It's pretty great for insane monsters.

Flesh Wizard..... he teleports. Fades in and fades out. Sometimes I think he faded in, but nope he's fading out.

It makes me mad too, because IMHO they are more annoying than Archviles.