Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SerialCereal

Thoughts about the enemy and 1st experience with- Cacodemon

Lemme start by saying that Cacodemons scard me when I was a kid. I first encountered them in the 3rd episode of DOOM 1,, when I was playing on the Hurt me plenty difficulty. I'd like to hear your thoughts about the Cacodemons and your 1st encounter with them.

Tryna light up the mood, so I posted this.

When i first met the Caco, it was up those stairs (E2M1, i think).

I just straight up shot it with my shotgun until it died.

Shoot first, ask later.

Nothing remarkable. Saw them in demos of Doom v1.2 DEMO1 or Doom2 v1.666 DEMO1. I've seen pictures of them before but in those demos I first heard what they sounded like.

Voros said:

When i first met the Caco, it was up those stairs (E1M4, i think).

No, cacos don't appear in the 1st episode, you stupid!!!!

Anyway, my first experience with cacos was in E2M3 (because i was playing on the lowest difficulty), they were in that cage in the beginning. I plasmaed them, they died. Nothing really memorable.. Although, i kinda was surprised that upon death their eyes poped out, as i didn't expect that to happen..

ChekaAgent said:

I never pay attention to details, because I'm too busy slaying demons.

I edited the post and hope I got it right this time.

I think you can see pictures of the cacodemon in the READ THIS! help image of shareware Doom, and he's in the TITLEPIC, so I knew what to expect. I dont recall him frightening me or anything. All the monsters in Doom are kinda bizarre to me and as a child my imagination was pretty vivid so it wasn't particularly special to.me when I saw it. Cacodemons will fuck your shit up in nightmare though with super fast fireballs and fast repeating attacks.

ChekaAgent said:

You don't have to be so rude...

Probably not the first because I was only like 4 and I barely remember anything from that age, but earliest memory I have of the caco is this one. This one was terrifying.

The first time I encountered the Revenant, it spooked the shit out of me with it's scream.

They're the reason why I love skeletons.

As for the Cacodemon, they always comes to mind whenever I think of DOOM.

I think the spookiest monster (from my 10 year old self) was the Specter.

The one at the end of the E2M1 area. It was a panic moment and "HOW MANY SHELLS DO YOU TAKE?" as I was firing the shotgun into it and trying hard not to get hit. My initial impression of them was that they were very powerful, as some magazine article I'd read before ever playing the game made it sound like some sort of dangerous sub-boss (which I suppose strictly in the context of the Doom 1 bestiary isn't entirely off the mark.) Plus "cacodemon", it's not just a demon, it's an EVIL demon, so it must be extra evil, right? It took me a few tense encounters to realize that they weren't as tough as I initially thought.

First time running into the Cacodemon was E2M1: Deimos Anomaly. Initially I was thrown off, but soon discovered they fall just like everything else.

I don't remember the first time I encountered a Cacodemon. You'd think it would have been memorable, but I have no recollection whatsoever.

Also, am I the only one whose brain tries to make the Cacodemon look more normal and so it ignores the obvious green eye in favor of thinking that the pink parts on the sides are eyes? The funny thing is, in my opinion, it actually makes the Cacodemon appear more menacing since the actual green eye looks silly. XD

The caco is a goofy monster imo, the sound it makes when it sees the player is laughable and it's death is hilarious to watch, it just falls to the ground and it's eye goes out, not to mention it's grin.

I saw the Cacodemon for the first time im E3M1. I played episode 3 before episode 2 for some reason. I love his death sound and and how he looks like a raspberry. An EVIL raspberry.

I first met it before even finishing the first episode back when a was little. I was messing with the difficulty options (i played in HNTR back then) and the different episodes. Before i knew, i had to fight a giant floating red ball with a pistol. I loved it ever since.

I circled and ran and zig-zagged, occasionally slowing to fire a weapon. Not sure why I got so exercised. It was revenants that really tweaked me at the time.

I can't remember whether it was E2 or 3 of Doom on the SNES or Doom 2 MAP05 when I first saw them in-game.

It sounds like it's kinda sad when it dies, cause it doesn't get to play with you anymore.

(read with E3M1 BGM for maximum narrative effect)

After exploding that rocket-launching biped goat and discovering that Deimos got teleported to Hell, he decided to rappel down to Hell's surface. Not big deal, only about 1000 ft to descent. Nothing he could not do back in the boot camp.

Unfortunately, mid-way down the rope fell, and he with it. While falling, he saw a burned upper end of the rope. Damn those brown-skinned demons! Then he crashed. Luckily, the floor was made of some sort of soft meat, so he survived the ordeal, albeit losing most of his equipment, left only with his Beretta and few spare magazines. Getting up, he saw a giant eyelid before him... or he wanted to think it was only an eye. Punching it caused the hole he made in the "ground" to rise, for some reason.

Then he encountered three demonic farmers, toiling in the morning Hell's sun (there are mornings in Hell? And where is the sun? For that matter, where is the ambient light coming from?). They seemed to farm some bones, presumably of that huge pinky bull demons. For what? Does not matter; got to kill them all!

After fertilizing the "soil" with new deposits, he surveyed his surroundings. He noticed a large gate to what seemed to be a Hell's keep. There were also two creepy skull buttons, like the ones he saw already inside Deimos base. He pressed one. Nothing happened. He pressed the second one. Nothing again. He also tried to press right, then left one, and vice versa. To no avail. Finally, he started to knock on the door.

"I'm coming, I'm coming!", a muffled voice from the inside emerged. A few seconds later, the gate opened.

He was greeted by what could only be described as giant tomato with toothy mouth. It looked sleepy, still wearing its pajamas and nightcap. It let out a big yawn followed by that ear-stinging hiss, electrifying the air before it.

"Who the Hell wakes me up so early?", the tomato declared. Then it recognized a green-clad human rushing at it. The tomato would brown its pants, if it wore one (good thing it not did this anyway!).

"No, wait, I haven't even had my breakfast today!", it cried in desperation.

He have not listened (not that he could understand its speech anyway). He would swear that he saw that tomato trying to charge its lightning ball, but letting out only a spark. Bad luck, tomato...

Leaving an eyeless corpse, he was thinking if these flying tomatoes are actually tasty. But he had no time for a lunch either. He proceeded forward, looking for the master of this house...

J.B.R said:

The caco is a goofy monster imo, the sound it makes when it sees the player is laughable and it's death is hilarious to watch, it just falls to the ground and it's eye goes out, not to mention it's grin.

it's the cheshire cat of hell

First saw it when a friend was playing the O of Destruction map. Saw the crazy smiling thing for the first time then later the arch-ville. I was like what the hell is this game

Yeah old thread I don't care...

I don't remember him from my first time of playing Doom back in the 90s, but sure from let's say 5 years ago or so, he scared the shit out of me, I mean a big one-eye scary red ball that says SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS and his eye gets lighter when he shoots... Now I love him and I want to adopt one lol, no but seriously it's my favourite monster, I find him really funny when he climbs up stairs