Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

Also, while I'm at it, what are all of the status bar graphics besides "STBAR" and "STARMS"?

In the IWADs, they are all stored in a single range of lumps, starting from AMMNUM0 and ending at STFDEAD0. Most of them have ST prefix.

When I edit any of the Heretic's graphics and put them in my own, separate wad, this happens. I changed only one pixel in this image and did not do any changes to color pallette. What causes this and how can it be solved?

Does it look like this ingame, or just in SLADE3?

If the former, maybe you edited the graphic in PNG format and then converted it to Doom format, but selected an Existing/Global instead of Heretic as the destination palette, which made SLADE3 convert it to the palette from the wad that you set as Base Resource (which is probably Doom(2).wad) or from the Palette box next to the Base Resource box. In that case, take the PNG version of the graphic and convert it to Doom format with Heretic palette selected on the right side of the Graphic Format Conversion window.

If the latter, it's because your custom wad doesn't contain its own palette and so SLADE3 uses palette from the wad that you set as Base Resource (which is probably Doom(2).wad) or from the Palette box next to the Base Resource box. To view the graphic correctly in SLADE3, you need to either change your Base Resource to Heretic.wad instead of Doom(2).wad, or change the Palette to Heretic instead of Existing/Global. Anyway, no matter how it looks in SLADE3, it would look OK ingame, because the engine would properly display the graphic in the Heretic palette.

miketheratguy said:

I'm trying to fiddle with some of the Doom lua files to prevent OBLIGE from giving me random maps that have features that I can't stand. In particular, I get these wall and / or floor textures and would LOVE to stop them from ever appearing in my game, ever:

Anybody? :)

miketheratguy said:

Anybody? :)

I do not recognize this texture:

Which version of Oblige?
    Which IWAD?
    Do you add a custom PWAD?

Kappes Buur said:

I do not recognize this texture:

http://i.imgur.com/La4vUfg.png

Which version of Oblige?
    Which IWAD?
    Do you add a custom PWAD?

The texture is from a hi-res texture pack found here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/addons/na91825. My understanding (and from what I've seen in-game) is that the new textures are just higher-resolution versions of the originals so this should resemble the corresponding vanilla texture of the same type. If they look too different and you'd like a picture of the specific vanilla textures that are being replaced I can remove the texture pack and take another shot.

I'm using version 6.20 of OBLIGE. This is a randomly-generated map using OBLIGE's settings to produce a tech (episode 1)-based level. It was generated using the Doom 1 wad.

I don't actually know what PWADs are so I don't think that any were in use during this picture.

Any non-standard doom file is a PWAD, essentially. So the levels you're running that are generated by OBLIGE are in a PWAD.

miketheratguy said:

..... I can remove the texture pack and take another shot. ......

Since you do not like the hi-res textures, that would be the best solution for you.

Kappes Buur said:

Since you do not like the hi-res textures, that would be the best solution for you.

It's not that I don't like the hi-res textures, it's that I don't like the particular set of textures that are shown in that picture. Those bland silver / gray textures show up here and there in my generated maps which means that the game is randomly populating the map with them. I'd like to find the exact textures (or "theme") in the lua so that I can disable them, enabling all the other random wall textures that I DO like to be used in their place. While the specific textures in the screenshot are from a hi-res pack, that pack is not meant to be a radical overhaul of the game's vanilla textures. As such, I figured that the textures in the screenshot would still look familiar to people who don't use that exact pack.

In other words it's not the high-res pack that I have a problem with, it's a specific set of textures that the game uses when generating new levels. By turning those textures off in the game's files I should ideally not see them anymore, hi-res or otherwise.

Here, I made this easier. This is a screenshot of my game without a texture pack installed.

I don't like the ugly drab look of the walls, the floor, or the ceiling. I'm trying to figure out what to edit in the lua to stop the game from using those textures.

miketheratguy said:

.....I'm trying to figure out what to edit in the lua to stop the game from using those textures.

I'm not all that familiar with OBLIGE Level Maker automation, but have a look through the files in
    Drive:\folder\Oblige-6.20\games\doom\
    and check for the texture names you do not like.

Kappes Buur said:

I'm not all that familiar with OBLIGE Level Maker automation, but have a look through the files in
    Drive:\folder\Oblige-6.20\games\doom\
    and check for the texture names you do not like.

I don't know the name of these textures though. That's my whole problem. I was hoping that someone familiar with the names of the game's textures could tell me what these ones are called. That way I could scan the theme.lua for every instance of them and set their probability to zero.

I see the names "silver" and "gray" and "metal" in the lua as well as terms like "shine" or "shiny". I don't know which of these names refers to the textures in the screenshot (or if any of them do).

miketheratguy said:

I don't know the name of these textures though.

That is where Slade3 comes in handy,
Load the IWAD, find and highlight the Texture1 lump and click on Edit Textures to open the Texture Editor, which then gives every texture and the patches they are made from.

Alternatively highlight the list of textures and export them to a folder, to peruse them at leasure with Irfanview or XnView.

Kappes Buur said:

That is where Slade3 comes in handy,
Load the IWAD, find and highlight the Texture1 lump and click on Edit Textures to open the Texture Editor, which then gives every texture and the patches they are made from.

Alternatively highlight the list of textures and export them to a folder, to peruse them at leasure with Irfanview or XnView.

Ahhh, thank you! Now this is the kind of information that I was looking for. :)

Apparently the texture is called "Shawn2". ...I don't think that I would have guessed that one.

I want to make a standalone (like Adventures of Square and the like), and I want to use 3D models for the actors and items. But I also want to keep that sharp software renderer pixels aspect, like Megaman Deathmatch or PSX games. Must I use GZDoom? Or Zdoom will be enough?

TiagoR2 said:

I want to make a standalone (like Adventures of Square and the like), and I want to use 3D models for the actors and items. But I also want to keep that sharp software renderer pixels aspect, like Megaman Deathmatch or PSX games. Must I use GZDoom? Or Zdoom will be enough?

No 3D models in ZDoom; you'll have to use GZDoom instead. However, you can get pixely goodness in GZDoom: go to the Texture options menu and set "texture filter mode" to "none (linear mipmap)".

In GZDoom Builder you can select all textures of the same type in Visual Mode (until the next texture change) by holding shift and clicking that texture with the left mouse button. Is there any way to do the same in Doom Builder 64? It would save me a lot of time in adding textures to linedefs that don't have any.

You might not be able to do it in Visual Mode (Doom Builder 64 is somewhat outdated compared to GZDB), but you should still be able to do it via Find and Replace Mode.

Am I doing SetLineSpecial correctly?

I set two lines with an id of 45. I have a script (6) that raises a floor.

Is the code right?

Script 5 ENTER
{
    SetLineSpecial(45, 80, 6);
}
If I understand it correctly this should work, but it's not. I don't need to have the line execute the script too, right? ...since SetLineSpecial is making the script ready when the player enters the map.

Strangely it works for a door I made, but not for the lift.
Script 4 (void)
{
  Ceiling_RaiseByValue(41, 16, 72); //tag, speed, value
  AmbientSound("doors/dr2_open", 120); //sound (sdinfo), volume
  delay(105);
  Ceiling_LowerByValue(41, 16, 72);
  AmbientSound("doors/dr2_open", 120);
}
Script 5 ENTER
{
  SetLineSpecial(43, 80, 4); //line id, action, script name (arguments (not used))
  SetLineSpecial(45, 80, 6);
}
Script 6 (void)
{
  Floor_RaiseByValue(44, 64, 52); //tag, speed, value
}

Are the linedefs with Line ID 45 flagged with an appropriate Activation type? For example "player walks over" if they're supposed to be walkover triggers or "player presses use" if they're supposed to be switch triggers, and in both cases, "repeatable action" if they're supposed to be activated more than once.

I'm continuing to mess with randomly-generated levels and I occasionally get curved staircases like these:

Additionally, those curved staircases sometimes form passageways between rooms of different levels of elevation, like this:

I like these curved staircases quite a bit but see them pretty rarely. Does anyone know what the game calls them or what file I could edit to make them show up more often?

Can anyone help me out with a midi? I have a midi that has a long silence after it ends, and I've never dabbled in any midi editing programs to know how to trim it to the appropriate length so it loops properly.