Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
miketheratguy

Looking for a specific old Doom book that I used to have

Hey guys, I'm wondering if there are any owners of old Doom strategy guides out there that can help me locate a copy of the first Doom book that I ever read. There are several that were available at the time of the game's original release and I can't be entirely sure of which one I'm looking for.

I believe that it's probably either the Doom Battlebook (https://www.amazon.com/DOOM-Battlebook-Revised-Expanded-Secrets/dp/0761503625/ref=pd_sim_14_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=61TW83YVJEL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR256%2C320_&psc=1&refRID=N2TX418NNF4H8F7SPW5T) or The Official Doom Survivor's Secrets (https://www.amazon.com/Official-Doom-Survivors-Strategies-Secrets/dp/0782115462/ref=pd_sim_14_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51AaxntWSQL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR127%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=18FVZFYREH3RG2BGRF28). I'm leaning towards the former.

I believe that it's one of these two books because my vague memory is that the cover of the book I'd read was the same as that of the game itself. The one thing that I do remember with absolute certainty is that the book had maps for each level. The maps were very sharp, compact, basically exact copies of the actual wire-frame maps that appear in the game. My memory is that each map got its own page and title but the map illustration did not fill the page completely (it took up maybe half the page or less).

Is anyone familiar enough with either of these books to narrow down the search for me? Or, if you have a copy of one of them, would it be too much trouble to ask for a photo of one of the pages to help? If anyone out there has any info, I'd really appreciate it!

From that description alone, sounds like it could be either. If the maps are the main thing you remember, here's a tidbit about them that might help you differentiate them: in the Sybex guide, each subchapter for each individual map had not one map but two--one map which showed an 'ideal route' as a solid line and called out the functionalities of switches and triggers and the like, and another with no route information but which provided the starting locations of all monsters and major items, as denoted by text abbreviations.

Another easy way to tell them apart might be if you happen to remember whether your book covered E4 or not--the Sybex guide did not, but the Battlebook did.

I have the DOOM Battlebook by Prima (which covers Ultimate DOOM), and the maps in the book are exactly how you describe them: perfect replicas of how they appeared in the Automap.

Pics available momentarily...

EDIT:

Wow guys, thank you all so much for pitching in to help. I'd HOPED that I would find someone who had some extra info or maybe would be willing to take a few pictures, but I didn't actually THINK it would happen. I'm quickly learning that my fellow Doomers are some of the best people around!

I'm actually a bit surprised but I think that the Battlebook actually isn't the book I was thinking of. While it does include very good maps - nice, clear, sharp and large - those maps are covered in a couple of small spots by other page graphics and in that one shot the map is spread across both pages. I remember now that when I had the book - which was from a library so I couldn't mark it up with my own notes - I took it to a print shop and made copies of each of the maps. They were all a uniform size and didn't spread across the pages, nor did they have any colored bits or edges covered by text windows or anything. Again, I'm surprised. I was actually almost sure that it was the Battlebook that I was remembering.

That second book in the last picture (that's the "Survivor's Secrets", right?) has maps that look a lot closer to what I remember, but as pointed out it has a preferred route planned through it as well as alphabetical markers to show where points of interest are. My memory of the map illustrations is that they were clear. Is there anything like that in either of these books?

Man, I'm really intrigued now. I wouldn't have guessed that my description would actually cover both books, and that there are finer details that might still help me to figure out which one I fell in love with so many years ago.

Piper Maru said:

I remember having this Doom II Official Strategy guide aeon's ago. Is this the one you're thinking of?

https://www.amazon.com/Doom-II-Official-Strategy-Authorized/dp/B0029NSCLK

Unfortunately no, if I'm correctly remembering the book that I'm thinking of the maps were smaller and more compact, not spreading across multiple pages. I want to say that maybe each map got its own chapter and the first page of each chapter began with a clean illustration of the map in the middle of the page without any extra directions or tips or anything. I could be remembering wrong though, the details are kind of coming back to me as I see these pictures.

Thanks for the added input all the same! I feel like you guys are getting me close to figuring this out.