Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrGlide

What are your favorite MetroidVainias/platformers with attacks.

I just picked up Super house of Dead Ninjas and was really suprised at how much I like it. As being a big fan of the genre (as many of you as well) I was wondering what your favorites where or just good ole recomendations.

I'm not hugely into Metroidvanias, but Ori and the Blind Forest is one of my favorites in that style. Axiom Verge is another pretty fun one.

It goes without saying but Super Metroid is one. There are also several really good romhacks for it.

I recommend: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/131/

And this: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/742/

This is the same as the last, but harder: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/812/

They can be easily played in zsnes, you can find out how to apply the hacks to the roms via google. They are pretty quality.

i don't get why Redesign has to be so incredibly hard. the physics are much tighter, you take way more damage, the save points are too scarce, and the bosses will obliterate you while you try and kill them with too many power beam shots. i can appreciate the fact that it's about 3x the size of the original game, but the difficulty is a serious turn-off from actually wanting to progress in it, and i say that as someone who 100% finished Prime 2 Hard Mode on the GC.

the only Metroidvanias i've really played are the Metroid games themselves. i think i need to seek out some other games that are similar to it, though, like some of the Castlevania games.

The Castlevainias are hit and miss imo, Simphony of the night, HD, bloodlust ans super IV are all good. Another one I dig is rouges legacy, very good game imo. Capsised is kind of in that genre.

Castlevania 1 (Nes)
Castlevania 4 (snes)
Castlevania: Bloodlines (gen)
Castlevania: Dracula X (snes)
Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 (Nes)
Megaman X (snes)
Beavis and Butthead (snes)

More I'm sure but can't remember them at the mo

Viscra Maelstrom said:

i don't get why Redesign has to be so incredibly hard. the physics are much tighter, you take way more damage, the save points are too scarce, and the bosses will obliterate you while you try and kill them with too many power beam shots. i can appreciate the fact that it's about 3x the size of the original game, but the difficulty is a serious turn-off from actually wanting to progress in it, and i say that as someone who 100% finished Prime 2 Hard Mode on the GC.

IDK, I didn't find it too hard, the only hard part for me was either getting used to the new phsyics engine, or having to find shit. I have actually never finished the romhack because of the second point. Heh. But, its fun nonetheless.

Castlevania, obviously, i love the series, to me Super Castlevania is easily the best out of the 2D linear CV games, even AVGN says so.
And Symphony of the Night is a great game too and a favorite of mine.

I wouldn't say the linear Castlevania games count as Metroidvania since they don't include the Metroid half of the title.

As someone who's never really got into them, I've only played one which is Dust an Elysian Tail. I do have the Strider reboot on Steam just sitting in my library but I've never played it.

Super Metroid
Metroid Fusion
Shadow Complex
Metroid Prime
Arkham Asylum

I don't know if it counts but Blackthorne was a great game too. And I hear great things about Flashback and Another World/Out of this World.

Easily the Contra franchise for me, as well as the Mega Man X games, Super Metroid, and another very good one for the SNES is Hagane: The Final Conflict. And of course the Castlevania series is great as well - between Super Castlevania 4 and some of the GBA titles and such.

SavageCorona said:

I wouldn't say the linear Castlevania games count as Metroidvania since they don't include the Metroid half of the title.

That distinction was never clear to me til now, never played much Metroid. I think for this kind of game, linear suits me best. The odd secret or bit of backtracking, but nothing that requires a map to navigate.

I have quite a few.

Super Metroid
Castlevania: Aria and Dawn of Sorrow
Guacamelee!
Axiom Verge
Environmental Station Alpha

All these games are awesome.