Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
redrage

Snapmap update details

As a long awaited snap map update, these three objects seem to be a kind of a joke. Nevertheless even the drop of water on a scorched desert is a welcome gift. And they give a feeling of elevating the map somewhere above ground level.

VentedPennies said:

Those aren't windows, they're paintings. Congratz on getting hyped for that.

Isn't that basically classic Doom skyboxes anyways? Just an image drawn over the void? Still would be nice to have actual open-top modules, they could just handwave any impossible geometries with it all being a simulation (which is all Snapmap/Multiplayer thematically is, anyways).

I really thought they were going to allow us to edit the module settings and open up the ceiling to display a true skybox. I don't know what this little window crap is all about. I guess these windows would have been nice when combined with a true ceiling skybox.

In addition, they didn't even add options to the windows to allow different types of sky boxes.

HmmNess

VentedPennies said:

Those aren't windows, they're paintings. Congratz on getting hyped for that.

Not really. They're windows looking out into an actual skybox. What else did you expect?

HmmNess said:

I really thought they were going to allow us to edit the module settings and open up the ceiling to display a true skybox.

I don't think you understand how much work that'd require, or how wonky the implementation would have to be. Just think about it: They'd literally have to redesign every single module in order for there to no longer be a ceiling (or a gap in the ceiling), and for some modules that wouldn't look "right" or natural at all. This isn't 1993 anymore in which most ceilings are just flat planes. Many of these modules have very detailed ceilings, so you couldn't just "open them up" and be done with it.

And even if they only removed the ceilings for some modules, how would they communicate to you which modules were like that and which weren't? It'd just be sloppy. The "windows as props" solution is definitely the best one since you can not only place them anywhere you like, but even rotate them to be on the ceiling!

Here's an example of a "ceiling window":

I totally agree with you on not being able to change the skybox, though. It'd be cool if they at least gave us a Hell skybox!

MusicallyInspired said:

How big are these windows, I wonder? Like 2 feet wide? Or like the size of an entire room?

Definitely not that small, and nowhere near that big.

Here's a look at all three windows:

The one in the middle is intended for corners, so that's why it's kind of jutting out.

Ok. So they're not exceptionally big but they do aid in creating the illusion of having a wider open space. Kind of like mirrors in a small room. Used creatively they could be fairly effective. Doesn't replace true skyboxes of course, but at least it doesn't all look like an underground bunker 20 miles underground.

Well, all we need now are outdoor mars modules to match these windows. They are already working on the hell mods that have outside areas. Maybe id will throw in some new outdoor UAC modules in the next update.

HmmNess

Can i add a window to peak into the next module? Oh no? it's a painting, not a window. And every map will have the same painting

I hope we do get new modules that have a huge window built in already to have a much bigger view on the skybox. Also more variety skyboxes will do wonders!

It's not what i expected, but i'm not disappointed with what we got, either. It just needs improvements to truly shine,

Anything is better than nothing but we are all aware of how much is missing and ID better start getting it out as soon as possible before everyone loses interest in Snap Map due to the limitations stopping our creativity

I cant take anyone serious who doesnt know the difference between a painting and a window.Or anyone who thinks the best use of a window is to show a skybox.

Just imagine e1m1 of either classic dooms and put these paintings in place of the windows. Why should the player care what's outside if they cant get there?

chubz said:

Wait, you're saying it's possible to add Skybox objects that aren't windows but are still not added ?

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Wait, you're saying it's possible to add Skybox objects that aren't windows but are still not added ?

Not really sure what you're asking. The screenshot shows a window that has been rotated upside down and placed on the ceiling to give the illusion that there's an opening there.

No i mean, if they can do it with Skybox windows, why don't they just add some kind of blocking volumes that shows sky instead .

VentedPennies said:

I cant take anyone serious who doesnt know the difference between a painting and a window.Or anyone who thinks the best use of a window is to show a skybox.

Just imagine e1m1 of either classic dooms and put these paintings in place of the windows. Why should the player care what's outside if they cant get there?

These are skybox windows that exist purely as decorations, and to make rooms seem more spacious/less closed off than they actually are. You're talking about windows that see into other rooms--something that isn't really possible in SnapMap for obvious reasons. The most that could be done on that front is adding window "doors" that don't actually function as doors, but at least allow you to peer into other rooms. Given the placement of doors in most modules, though, it wouldn't really be practical.

Maybe you should look out an actual window and go to the areas that you see outside for a little while. I'm sure you'd be able to get there.