Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joe Todd

2002 A Doom Odyssey - Reaching Episode 4 Secret Level

How do I get to the secret level in E4M2 of 2002 A Doom Odyssey? I can't see how to get there, even with an editor. Please tell me how.

Oh come on, the secret map in episode 4 is easy to get to compared with E3M9 and E2M9. You just need to go back to the starting area, and you'll find (if you nose around a bit) a switch that opens a path to the exit you have already seen but couldn't reach.

If you really can't find it, let me know your e-mail address and I'll send a nomo demo.

PS: If you play the Eternal megawad, I'm not going to try to explain how to solve some of those puzzles - I'd wear out my keyboard...

Er, sorry, it's not a switch. It's a teleporter that takes you back to near the secret exit. In reaching that teleport, you have triggered a linedef that causes a walkway to rise.

I've got a demo ready to send. It's really crappy though... (I spend 6 whole minutes reaching the secret exit on UV).

I made it deliberately crappy as a punishment for anyone who couldn't find the secret exit.

Wow!! I got there, and E4M9 is cool!! Looks like Wolfenstein-3D, doesn't it? That's why it's called "Secret Wolfenstein Level." But why are the guys still from Doom? Why not add Wolf-3D gaurds, and make it have a World War II type setting (like Wolf-3D?) I mean, there are even decorations from Wolfenstein used on the level, but not gaurds!!

Joe Todd said:

Wow!! I got there, and E4M9 is cool!! Loks like Wolfenstein-3D, doesn't it? That's why it's called "Secret Wolfenstein Level." But why are the guys still from Doom? Why not add Wolf-3D gaurds, and make it have a World War II type setting (like Wolf-3D?)

Probably because this is an Ultimate Doom megawad, so there are no SS guys. BTW, if you remember your Wolf-3D, this will help you find some of the secrets in E4M9.

But why not just add SS guys? After all, they had to have added Wolf-3D graphics, as those were only in Doom II. I mean, isn't it supposed to look like Wolfenstein?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that while it is quite easy to add extra textures, a monster can only be "added" by replacing one of the existing ones.

Other people round here know far far more than me about these things though...

AFAIK that's true, new monsters can only replace existing ones, as there are projectiles/shots to deal with, and all the frames for them as well. Plus the speed, damage etc. of the shots, so it's not possible to add new monsters.

(otherwise I would have revenants in my Ultimate DooM episode...)

But why not change an existing Doom guy into as SS soldier, and just let him fight like in Doom 2 Map 31? And not use that guy in other levels in ADO.

Ultimate DooMer said:

What a shame. It would have been such fun to fight fast revenants without the SSG.

Joe Todd said:

But why not change an existing Doom guy into as SS soldier, and just let him fight like in Doom 2 Map 31? And not use that guy in other levels in ADO.

They probably wanted to use all the other monsters. If they had been desperate to use SS dudes, then it would have made more sense to make a Doom II megawad (and omit the SSG and the Doom2-only monsters if they had wanted to keep an Ultimate Doom feel). They could also have converted Keen to make it into Stephanie (so, e.g., you get squished if Stephanie dies).

Besides, most Doomers seem to find the SS a bit cheesy in anything except a Wolf setting. A Wolf map without them also makes a refreshing change.

It's kind of complicated. I'm not even sure which bits are for the BFG secret and which are for the secret exit. Have you found the "SEX" area yet? If you pressed everything and have done everything in most parts of the map (you needn't visit the area with the standard exit), then you can get to a switch in an alcove off the big lava area. This opens up the secret exit, which is just behind where you started the map.

If you still can't find it, then I have made a really lousy demo this time. It will have you weeping from the pain of watching it.

As payment for all this assistance, I'm expecting you to produce fully optimized NM 100S demos of all 36 maps (which I can claim as my own), you understand?

myk said:

DEMO PACK REQUIRED!!!

Yeah, my plan is to do a good UV -fast speed demo for each map in episodes 2-4. It's just kinda taking me a while. 2003 release maybe? Or do you really want to see "2002 ADO Done Slow"?

Of course, Grazza, I might still ask about alot of other puzzles. But not getting to that secret level. Just wanted you to know. If you really can't find it, in ZDoom, go IDCLEV51. It works. Now you can see it. It's neat, I must say, and be warned: It's BLUE!! So there. Have fun!!

Ultimate DooMer said:

AFAIK that's true, new monsters can only replace existing ones, as there are projectiles/shots to deal with, and all the frames for them as well. Plus the speed, damage etc. of the shots, so it's not possible to add new monsters.

Actually, the creator of DSV added the blue shotgun guy as a new monster by inserting the DSV* sprites into the WAD and using code pointers to make it behave like the regular black one, which was also in DSV, and could be seen on a couple occaisons in the same immediate area as his blue buddies.

In EDGE you can easily add new monsters to Doom II or Ultimate Doom. You could simply make a wad for Ultimate Doom to put in all the Doom 2 monsters and more, as well as tons of new weapons ;)

Grazza said:

Probably because this is an Ultimate Doom megawad, so there are no SS guys. BTW, if you remember your Wolf-3D, this will help you find some of the secrets in E4M9.

I don't recognize any part of E4M9 from Wolfenstein 3-D.