Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Jenesis

Greetings, Doomworld. Are you ready to die?

July, 2016:

>>> Download Jenesis <<<

Leaderboard

1. # SURVIVED: Demon of the Well - My God, he talks the talk and walks the walk! A barnstorming performance on the 25th hour! Well played.
  2. # Map26: koren - Volunteered to take part in Hell's exciting new long distance cooking program.
  3. # Map26: Anima Zero - Didn't wake up early for the meteor shower. It was a blast!
  4. # Map24: ZeroMaster010 - Screwed over by a mancubus and his infinitely tall actor buddies. Only they're not acting, they're for real!!
  5. # Map22: Dime - Boned by the ghost of Rayziiksenpai and his baying Twitch associates. Suck it down.
  6. # Map20: Jimmy - Struck by the karma bus and the fourth cyber rocket. Where're your blue marbles now??
  7. # Map20: WH-Wilou84 - Adulterated by a host of promiscuous hell knights; an ignoble undoing.
  8. # Map17: Rayzik - DEADLINED.
  9. # Map15: Veinen - Cornered by the Golden Army. Didn't play the part of Hellboy.
  10. # Map12: Ribbiks - Gave a spiderdemon the cold shoulder. Shoulder is now bullets.
    Spoiler

11. # Map08: Alfonzo - Didn't wear protection or common sense.
  12. # Map07: 40oz - DNF. Damned Map07 667 tag bug. :(( **
  13. # Map07: Suitepee - Rocked up to the map07 mancubus orgy without his fat suit. *
  14. # Map06: Vorpal - Heh, shot through his own meat shield. Very impressive!
  15. # Map06: Crusader No Regret - Ring Around the Revenant tl;dr he all falls down.
  16. # Map04: TheMionicDonut - Life In The Fast Lane (and yet the revenant lottery comes for us all!)
  17. # Map04: Gordon - Chewed up on the parapets of Doom.
  18. # Map04: Mechadon - Entered the cave of Caerbannog. Didn't come out.
  19. # Map04: muumi - Another victim of the map04 revenant ambush. Seriously, guys, this part's a lottery.
  20. # Map04: Dragonfly - Tried to join the rest of his dragonflight. Should have gone to Specsavers.
  21. # Map03: joe-ilya - The horse has bolted.
  22. # Map03: Purist - As far as I can tell... a sudden onset of dyspraxia.
  23. # Map02: Eris Falling - Tried to tango with a chaingunner.
  24. # Map02: dobu gabu maru - No, you have to dodge away from the revenant rocket! It's all in the wrist.
  25. # Map02: SavageCorona - Donated his head to the revenant rocket foundation.
  26. # Map02: NoisyVelvet - Bone-shanked by the Map02 revenant quartet.
  27. # Map02: an_mutt - The YK gangsta' Revenant of The Canal in his breakout performance.
  28. # Map02: rossy - Chased into the drink by the YK Gansta' revenant. Surprise, motha'!
  29. # Map02: Judgedeadd - Was shown the meaning of teamwork. Man that room is racking up some kills.
  30. # Map02: Melon - heh.
  31. # Map02: Ashstrodamus - Embraced the fatty folds of a surprise mancubus.

* = Ironman Hardcore; a permadeath run attempted in multiple sittings instead of one.
** = DNF; became stuck due to a map bug or elected not to finish.

Streaming Schedule

Post the time and channel at which you plan to stream and I'll link it here in the OP. Rake in an audience for your jaw-dropping, ball bustin' ironman run. Here's an easy-to-read time zone website for ease of planning: http://everytimezone.com
What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

It can be hard to stay alive in today's wonderful world of PWADs... and it can be harder still to care that you don't. To use an analogy popularized by one of the more celebrated streamers on Doomworld, the prolificacy of the community encourages a more casual style of play wherein precise skills and awareness are surrendered in favour of blind luck and a really, really sweet digging action. It's the way of the modern player; die first, ask questions later. And why not? We're a community that makes maps about as often as we play the game we make them for, and we don't always have time to play a slow game and soak up the implications of every release. It's Fast Food Doom!

Well, get ready to sit down for a proper meal, then. The Ironman League is here to change the way you play Doom, using the tried and tested method called fear of death. Each month, I'll update the thread with a new megawad/mapset and leaderboard; participants can submit proof of their performance in the form of a demo, video recording or stream highlight in a bid to become the longest-surviving doom marine for that month. That's the gist, folks! try not to die; see how far you get. Simple.

Rules and compatability options

The honour system is going to be brought into play, here, because not everyone is comfortable with streaming; demos will be accepted. I'll just have to trust you not to be so conniving! Here are the rules:
Spoiler

• One attempt per megawad/mapset. Good luck!
  • Demos (PrBoom+ and GLBoom), stream highlights and single-take video recordings are the only accepted proofs.
  • UV only continous; no pistol-starting.
  • No auto-loaded wads unless they are purely cosmetic.
  • No hard-coded cheats or features that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set).
  • If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatability options, you must not enable any flags that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port. In most cases, this will mean that you can comfortably use "Doom/Boom(strict)" behaviour in ZDoom, for example. You must also display these settings on-screen before your run.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels will rank higher than his competitors.
  • You do not have to complete your run in a single sitting. Such runs are considered to be "hardcore" runs. For stream and video recording users, you need only load a savegame that has been shown to be set during the previous segment, and again displaying the same compatability options. For demo users, you may continue using the same recording using a save file linked in the thread alongside the demo, assuming the -complevel allows for this function (e.g. -cl 9). Otherwise, the run must be completed in a single sitting or in segments separated by forced pistol starts (mandatory death exits) and episodes.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point. This includes "scouting ahead" for map details "just to check on something."
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details. Your viewers may, however.
  • If you die for any reason, tough luck! Your little brother snuck into your room while you were paused and getting tea and walked your marine into an inescapable pit? Brilliant. You went to answer the doorbell but knocked over your mug of hot chocolate and a baron ripped your arm off? Walk it off, hot stuff! You're through.
  • If your operating system fails during the run with you having progressed beyond the most recent save point then it's a write-off, sorry!
  • In the event that the leaders are tied having died on the same map, the player to have arrived at the map of death in the fastest time will be deemed the winner.

Oh boy you bet I'm getting past MAP12 this time.

Maybe. Probably. i'unno

I saw the thread title and I thought that another long-standing community member died, so I almost got all sad there. Seems now that I don't have to.

Great thread idea. :) Never played Jenesis (still on my ever-increasing backlog of runs/playthroughs/etc.), so I dunno if I'm up for the task this month. I'll try to participate if you ever do a wad I'm familiar with, though.

I'll probably die in the first few seconds of the first map but alright. I'll try this.

Edit: Yeah MAP01. Just write this off.

DEAD - Map08

https://www.twitch.tv/st_alfonzo/v/76165364

What an idiot. Panicked with the wrong weapon selected having missed a radsuit falling into a vat of slime. Ran around like a headless chicken eating up all the sector damage looking for health that wasn't there and another way out. I found another way out...

...In death!!!

This to me is like when I randomly decide to play something, except on UV. I play until I die then I go and do something else :P
Funnily enough, it was Jenesis (on HNTR mind you) that I played last time I did that. Was not ready for the final fight on MAP09 :(

No doubt I'd never get past MAP01 on UV :P

rdwpa said:

Nice idea. Would try this, but I don't have a streaming setup, so playing for 8+ hours continuously would be a bit much for me. :)

Every other month I'll probably set up a shorter, more difficult mapset that's a bit more friendly to demo users. If there's a way to allow for splitting up of demos for those larger mapsets that I haven't thought of, then I'd jump on that quick-smart. Perhaps allowing for an exception in pistol starting?

Eris Falling said:

Was not ready for the final fight on MAP09 :(

Now that's a shame; the fight is certified cheese! Shame I couldn't survive far enough to demonstrate.

In prBoom+, depending on the -complevel of the mapset it's possible to use saves (e.g. works with -cl 9). Progress-preserving saves after map10 and map20 would make a demo more manageable.

Ah, neat, thanks. There's no reason not to make an exception for demo users in that case, assuming they have that option open to them. I'll tack the rule on!

I'm down for this, if I can find the time. It's more tempting if I can tackle it on a level-at-a-time basis in a demo with saves!

If y'all can confirm that this is okay then count me in. :)

SavageCorona said:

Are Youtube videos accepted implying there's no editing obviously

I'd forgotten about youtube for some reason (how did I manage that?)! If it's a recording then I don't see why it shouldn't be an option given the allowance for demos, so sure, go ahead. Just make sure you display the comp options and such. Ideally I'd like to see more live streams (I understand you can do this through youtube, anyway?) as watching and putting off your direct opponent is half the fun, but I'm not about to turn away half of the potential playerbase just because I like jeering from the sidelines.

Dragonfly said:

It's more tempting if I can tackle it on a level-at-a-time basis in a demo with saves!

If y'all can confirm that this is okay then count me in. :)

A-okay! You'll need to post the save files with each demo, of course. If you can keep it all neat and tidy and zip it up when you're done then that'd be sweet.

I'll practice by demoing Doom2 or some other pwad initially so that so I can get my head around how it works with saves. I'm happy to keep it tidy, to the point of using a clean PrBoom install. :)

Alfonzo said:

I'd forgotten about youtube for some reason (how did I manage that?)! If it's a recording then I don't see why it shouldn't be an option given the allowance for demos, so sure, go ahead. Just make sure you display the comp options and such. Ideally I'd like to see more live streams (I understand you can do this through youtube, anyway?) as watching and putting off your direct opponent is half the fun, but I'm not about to turn away half of the potential playerbase just because I like jeering from the sidelines.

A-okay! You'll need to post the save files with each demo, of course. If you can keep it all neat and tidy and zip it up when you're done then that'd be sweet.

Clarification: Only one demo file is produced. The process is:

[After quitting], relaunch the game with the same command line, same -record "demo file name", and it [sends you] to the latest save point instead of starting at the beginning and overwriting the demo.

rdwpa: does this work if you have 'overwrite demo files' set to TRUE in PrBoom+ options?

i would test myself but im at work :(

yw

rehelekretep said:

rdwpa: does this work if you have 'overwrite demo files' set to TRUE in PrBoom+ options?

i would test myself but im at work :(

Yeah that's what I have set.

interesting! i will check it out when i get home.

does this only work on Boom comp settings (-1, 9, 11?)? ie with the Boom extended demo format?

I haven't tried all the complevels, but yeah I'd assume it needs something like that. In fact -1 allows for loads without ever quitting, but -1 shouldn't really be played on.

i think that 'recordfromto' can be used with complevels 2&3 to do something similar to the 'continue from save' in Boom-maps - perhaps that is another way to do this challenge (havent tried this either).

Alfonzo said:

So I just have to show my compflag settings are the strict Doom ones since I'd most likely be using GZDoom since it's the easiest to record?

Also are we allowed to use the fast monsters flag as some kind of hardcore challenge?

DEAD - Map 02

(prboom-plus.exe -file .\jenesis.wad -record ironman_noisy.lmp -skill 4)

very exciting.

also, for taking breaks, i'm pretty sure you can just hit the escape key and it effectively pauses the demo, so you don't need saves if you can afford to keep your computer idle.

Ugg... Map 2 in the first little area. Those two chain gunners made quick work of me.

I recorded with FRAPS since I already had that for other games but I found I was getting really bad frame rates while playing Map 1 (but not Map 2). Even stranger it recorded at a faster frame rate than it displayed to me.