• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marcaek

Mayhem '16: Juneheim [Map compilation updated October 1st]

Jimmy said:

also I'm not doing map01's string of obscene sibilances, get super-phukt tarns

It's okay, I'll do it.

Jimmy, I like the font you've used. Is that an 'actual font' or a bitmap font you're using / have made? Might be good for me to use such a font for the titlepic and the likes, if only for consistency's sake.

Also, regarding titlepic etc - what is the project going to be officially named? "Mayhem 2016"?

Cheers.

Marcaek said:

I have to go out very very soon but yes: You can dip into July to finish maps. I'm trying to be as flexible as possible with timelimits without venturing into full-on 1500 territory this year.

Sounds awesome! Due to some stuff coming up, I will have my map submitted by July 10th, I promise.

(FDAs in PrBoom+ complevel 9 skill 3 using Resource Version 5d)

In some what arbitary order, but I'll get around to trying them all at some point:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5eahfl83gw7101d/MAY16FDA02.zip

Tarnsman - Lodi Eno Rebmun Si Ocin - (TARNS-JUNEHIEM2.wad)

I couldn't get much further than the Revenant ambush, but what I saw of it was pretty fun and I wanted to keep having a go inspite of the difficulty level, even if I was unable to do so.
---
Jimmy - Affinity - (j-affinity.wad)

Sweet map, lots of interconnectivity and lines of sight, and a diffculty that perfectly fitted my level of skill. The music was good and complemented the rhythm of the gunplay. Top stuff.
---
Breezeep - Quaker Plumbing INC - (bre_mayhem16_a.wad)

A fun good looking map, that's slightly above my comfort zone of playing, but normally I'd be playing with saves so probably it's fine, though a blue armor or something wouldn't hurt on easier settings. The tempo of the music certainly fits the frenetic pace. I liked it.
---
Alter World Ruler - Cyber Crusher - (CybercrusherV5.wad)

At first I thought the music was at odds with the slow opening, but things soon picked up. It's pretty fun, and with saves I'd probably struggle through it eventually. With this much burst damage knocking around there seems no reason not to throw med-kits and stim-packs at the player like they're going out of fashion, because even at 100 health most of these monsters will one or two shot you anyway, so it would enable the player to recover from the odd mistake without impacting the threat of the encounters.
---
Pinchy - Piston Hurricane - (Piston Hurricane.wad)

I didn't enjoy this map. It looked pretty nice, and the sky lent it atmosphere, but the map didn't mesh with my play style at all. Perhaps others will enjoy it, but it's not for me.
---
An Mutt - Ancient Den - (AncientDen.wad)

With the music and visual, this map oozes atmosphere. I didn't much get further than the blue key, and the gameplay seemed to rely too much on archviles, revenants, and high threat monsters generally, but I enjoyed what I saw never the less.
---
Walter Confalonieri / Benjogami - Juvenille - (juvenille_walt_benjogami_v3.wad)

This map seemed a bit poor. The visuals were very sparse and badly lit, and the music choice didn't fit at all. The gameplay wasn't terrible, and there were some nice touches, but nothing about the map really grabbed my attention.
---
Angry Saint - Steel Coffin - (sc001.wad)

Not a map that pulls many punches, infact I'm not sure how you're supposed deal with the chaingunner-revenant ambush without tanking the manicubus, which is hit or miss at best. Suffice to say, I didn't get too far. Structurally the maps feels pretty good, and the Quake2 music fits quite well. The lighting feels almost too stark, the exteriors in particular probably need a bit of soft moonlight to add definition, though the bright neon strips pop out really nicely.
---
Tarnsman - Xsshsss Zsss - (TARNS-JUNEHIEM.wad)

A fine looking map, built around a neat idea, though having to melee a monster that can't be reliably hit at close range seems a tad unfair.

Urthar said:

Angry Saint - Steel Coffin - (sc001.wad)

Not a map that pulls many punches, infact I'm not sure how you're supposed deal with the chaingunner-revenant ambush without tanking the manicubus, which is hit or miss at best. Suffice to say, I didn't get too far. Structurally the maps feels pretty good, and the Quake2 music fits quite well. The lighting feels almost too stark, the exteriors in particular probably need a bit of soft moonlight to add definition, though the bright neon strips pop out really nicely.

Thank you for the review and demos, I will try to improve the map. With only 60 monsters I tried to put as much as possible in the traps. Maybe I will put easier traps and distribute better the enemies.

I made this crude titlepic or interpic last night in about 20 minutes in the GIMP.

High Resolution pic for text if used for a titlepic.

Doom palette version if used for an interpic.

Urthar said:

Tarnsman - Xsshsss Zsss - (TARNS-JUNEHIEM.wad)

A fine looking map, built around a neat idea, though having to melee a monster that can't be reliably hit at close range seems a tad unfair.

You're supposed to get the archvile to kill the mancubus

Urthar said:

Walter Confalonieri / Benjogami - Juvenille - (juvenille_walt_benjogami_v3.wad)

This map seemed a bit poor. The visuals were very sparse and badly lit, and the music choice didn't fit at all. The gameplay wasn't terrible, and there were some nice touches, but nothing about the map really grabbed my attention.
---ng to melee a monster that can't be reliably hit at close range seems a tad unfair.

Thanks for the review!

Look, since this isn't a pretty strong or appreciated map, i'm ok with removing from the project, as marcaek wrote some post ago... i could recycle it into another project, or something similar.

Fda for Rayzik's map. http://www.mediafire.com/download/wimsokv78g9prv7/rayz-rdwpa-fda.lmp

This one is unplayable laggy on my computer -- framerate must have been like 1/4th of what it should be, at times, usually averaging about 1/2. I was actually half-hoping to be killed quickly, so I didn't use saves, but I lasted 30 minutes until finally being killed by nonsense. :P I teleported straight into a cyber rocket intended for something else, and rattled by that, I got finished off by another rocket. Whatever, I usually don't play these ultra-long maps so I was getting tired anyway.

Encounters are far from inhumanely tough, but it seems like endurance is the big test. Should be challenging to one-shot the level without making a big mistake somewhere along the line. Big bug: I cheesed the shit out of the gasbag encounter in the blue key area, accidentally -- the trigger to release all of that stuff is right on the ledge or something. That encounter with all the spiders confused me; I didn't realize they were respawning, then I did and thought they were going to respawn so often that it'd be impractical to kill them, and then I put two and two together and realized I could kill them.

Layout is really reminiscent of some SF2011 stuff -- lots of squares connected with rectangles :P. Maybe this style of design is better with more geometric complexity, but it evokes warm and fuzzy memories of all the SF2011/12 demos I've watched, so I liked it. Anyway, was fun.

Urthar said:

Alter World Ruler - Cyber Crusher - (CybercrusherV5.wad)

At first I thought the music was at odds with the slow opening, but things soon picked up. It's pretty fun, and with saves I'd probably struggle through it eventually. With this much burst damage knocking around there seems no reason not to throw med-kits and stim-packs at the player like they're going out of fashion, because even at 100 health most of these monsters will one or two shot you anyway, so it would enable the player to recover from the odd mistake without impacting the threat of the encounters.

You see this is a 160 things map, it's exactly 160 things so I would need to remove monsters to do more health items, which I don't want to do, also almost all enemies are non-hitscan for this very reason. Which is why you see me using Soulspheres as health items.

Marcaek said:

I have to go out very very soon but yes: You can dip into July to finish maps. I'm trying to be as flexible as possible with timelimits without venturing into full-on 1500 territory this year.

This is good to hear, I'll probably also submit my map by the 10th

Jimmy said:

I'm doing level name graphics for this, thusly:

Please name your maps if you haven't already!

If it's not against the rules to name a map before it's submitted, I'll like to call mine Galactic Decay

rdwpa said:

Fda for Rayzik's map.

Well played.

I'm 99% sure that the issue is having all the monsters wake at once. I need to to design a system that progressively allows the monsters to be alerted as the player enters encounters, that way it saves on cpu power in the meantime.

As for the design, the main reason it turned out this way was my extreme lack of experience with these texture resources, and the ever looming deadline. (aside from the fact Marcaek provided me an extra week since he commissioned me for the map)

Difficulty wise I am pretty satisfied with the way it turned out, but I will have to fix those pesky linedef skip opportunities.

EDIT: also the arch-viles at the caco thing are supposed to scroll off the zigguraut... must've broken it at some point.

Dragonfly said:

Jimmy, I like the font you've used. Is that an 'actual font' or a bitmap font you're using / have made? Might be good for me to use such a font for the titlepic and the likes, if only for consistency's sake.

Also, regarding titlepic etc - what is the project going to be officially named? "Mayhem 2016"?

Cheers.

They're the letters used in the level names of Darkening E2, although myself and Cage edited them to make them more legible and smooth-edged.

See my font thread over on ZDoom if you want to use it for yourself. :)

Here's a bit of work to try and make the map run better on lower end machines, fix a few places where cheesy tactics can render encounters useless, and adjusted a few timings for certain traps.

In Death, Is Life - V1.5

Also, you probably won't be able to pacifist-troll this. >:D

Tested in every source port, it worked fine, yet when watching Tarns just now the factory was not working.

Also one sector missing a tag and added some block monster lines to stop the pain elementals sailing away.

I will test the map when added into the next version, it should work...

V0.96

Update bump: the OP is mostly up to date. I'll start playtesting the maps and providing detailed feedback asap.

Many 10x maps have more monsters than allowed, but it's only because they used lost souls.

Does that mean I can add 11 more monsters and infinite lost souls in my map? Because I counted the lost souls towards the enemy count as of now. I'm not saying this as an excuse to spam bullshit, but because my map feels rather empty and 11 more enemies could make my map flow better.

Pre-placed lost souls count toward the limit. Anything spawned by a Pain Elemental IDC about.

I didn't realize people had thought otherwise?

Thank you everyone for the positive feedback of the titlepic I made last night. Impboy4, yours is still pretty good. Maybe it'd be better as the bossback lump? Or maybe the credit pic (one after titlepic)? I do have a version saved of mine with just the planet if we want to use that instead, but I imagined that would be best used for the interpic. :)

Marcaek said:

I didn't think otherwise but since PrBoom+/GlBoom+ don't seem to count lost souls as monsters, I may have unintentionally exploited this. If this is the case, which I now am starting to believe it is, then I'll post an updated version of the map at some point with no lost souls.

Marcaek said:

You can, but I would probably wait until after this is done if I were you.

Thanks. I'll just use the make-shift one until the project's ready.

Looking closely at the titlepic I made last night - I have spotted a few imperfections. I will attempt to fix these along with any issues in my map this week.

Marcaek said:

MAP14 : Look at the monster count and look at the enemies killed via the TNTEM cheat code.

Then look bottom left or at the automap and see the count '140/140'. I don't fancy sitting in doom builder counting the monsters by hand, especially since difficulties have been implemented. Easy mistake to make but equally easy to fix.