Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnatone

Running 19/0 in TDM

An older clip of mine and an example of how garbage most console players are. I'm not a great player by any means and since I didn't have decent internet until 2008 all my experience growing up in MP was the Zeus bot in Quake and the bots in SkullTag so the statement stands doubly so.

But hey, most of these younger guys started their careers playing "hide behind cover like a wuss and camp with a sniper" modern bullshit, being Molly coddled with the everybody's winner ment and deluding themselves that they're pro MLG 1337 status. I.E. they're basically retarded.

This doesn't give me an ego though. I know I'm average, usually below that. I ain't winning ”1v1 me bro" but I'd enjoy the challenge and the lessons learned from the ass whooping. :)

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the video and I would love feedback on things I did wrong and how I can improve. And feel free to join me anytime, this game is so much more fun with friends.

Johnny_Nebulous

(For the record, I'm terrible at modern MP even with all my practice, these kids run circles around me. Well, they camp anyway lol. Only other game I'm decent at currently is BF4.)

EDIT: Just checked my stats. I have an overall 21% accuracy rate with a 1.99 K/D. In other words I'm not quite garbage but I shouldn't be stomping mudholes in people's asses and carrying teams to victory or damn near.

static, aim where your oponent will be, do not chase after them with your retical. Saw you doing that and missing. Don't pop shot unless you can really get damage in, or your just alerting enemies to your position. on console it will be easier to hit with Vortex/static if you strafe your shots into them instead of chasing them with your retical. Check halls as you pass by at least with a quick glance. Change your control scheme to the one that bumper jumps. Jump more, especially around corners so your not a sitting duck at head level. use your grenade launcher more on your shotgun. Jump when you pull up launcher as it will distance you from blast and will slow you down less. left trigger on static zoomz in. quit aiming at the ground so much, start keeping retical at head level, you'll get better shots and be more situationally aware. you need to keep your eye's peeled to the next area that your going.

nice game, it's hard to give more critique when the enemy team is that green as they arn't much of a threat. Not dising your match but if you watch them their movment, it is sub-basic. Any more questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

I have changed my control scheme via my PS4's accessibility so the L3 button which is normally unused is now jump. I'm still getting used to it but now I find myself more mobile and feel like I'm moving faster. The main thing is I never have to take my thumbs off the analog sticks and I can aim while jumping now (it's sad knowing the D-Pad and four other buttons are completely useless, as we could've had our old school all weapon gameplay). Still getting used to it but it's a significant improvement. I don't use the bumper simply because I only use two fingers on the shoulder buttons, four feels awkward. Maybe something I should practice on until I'm comfortable holding the controller that way.

I did not notice I was chasing with my reticle however, and now that you mention it I realize I do it in every game except Battlefield. Definitely a bad habit I need to break; I guess since there isn't bullet drop designed in I didn't consider it at all. I will defo work on this.

The low/floor aiming. I know I do it all the time and I don't know why. I mean, part of it being the whole center mass thing. Would lowering my look sensitivity or adjusting my dead zones help any by chance? I notice I tend to be all over the place, kind of that adrenaline thing, trying to move fast and overcompensate. Or is it simply a matter or being aware and breaking a bad habit?

Again, thanks for the tips. This game is by far the best multiplayer I've played on consoles in a long time and I really want to excel. For whatever reason almost all the players I run into are super green like this though, with the rest being good to really damn good (or horrible campers; the Vortex rifle being one shot to the head really breaks the meta of the small, tight combat arenas.) A lot of the time I'm also the highest level player despite being only Enchalon VII, a far cry from seeing high level prestiges in games like Black Ops on release night. Usually only two or three of us in a lobby even have a Roman numeral by their name (a good thing, that means lots of new players and I want the young ones to experience what gaming was, not what it's becoming.) I'll keep these things in mind when I boot the game back up; got back on it today and had some good matches, got my ass absolutely stomped in Warpath at one point (my team had less than 10 points, lol) but found myself happily congratulating them, much different than the rage I usually hear or express. Heh.

Johnatone said:

Thanks for the feedback. :)
The main thing is I never have to take my thumbs off the analog sticks and I can aim while jumping now.

Thats the important thing.

Still getting used to it but it's a significant improvement. I don't use the bumper simply because I only use two fingers on the shoulder buttons, four feels awkward. Maybe something I should practice on until I'm comfortable holding the controller that way.

you can keep your pointer fingers on the shell of the controller inbetween the bumpers and triggers, If you really want to get better learn how to play claw style on top of that. If you want to mix it up play the souls games like this, it'll help you adapt quicker.

Would lowering my look sensitivity or adjusting my dead zones help any by chance?

old protip from halo, keep your sensitivity quite high, all the time, as high as you can stand it, then keep going higher as you get used to it. Then when it's time to be seriouse drop it low(do this frequently so you can still be used to slower sensitivities) and you'll hit shots like a pro.

is it simply a matter or being aware and breaking a bad habit?

yes, it's very natural for people to do this, mainly look where their heads are going to be, getting used to aiming at head level will net you quicker and more accurate shots/damage.

the Vortex rifle being one shot to the head really breaks the meta of the small, tight combat arenas.)

a bit so on console because the lack in accuracy, spam some rockets their way, they'll move.

got my ass absolutely stomped in Warpath at one point (my team had less than 10 points, lol) but found myself happily congratulating them, much different than the rage I usually hear or express. Heh.

Thats good, being friendly can help you network with better players to team up with or learn from. and warpath is a very team centric game, not a good game type for clutching. I'll post a lil montage of sorts to see some of the stuff I'm talking about(fair warning I'm on pc.) [edit] also, make sure your tv is on game mode and you really want to drop from 1080p to 720p so your response time is far better, this will help the most with long range shots. You'll see a huge difference. Or play on a moniter if you can.

would a vid that is choped up straight to the fighting be more helpfull or full matches? I'v got some recorded and I'll edit accordingly when I wake up.

I'm going to upload some videos that are unlisted and mainly unedited (full matches) sorry about my teamates commentary these arn't meant to be public. You can see some of the loadouts I roll with and how I use them, there might be something I'm not saying that you'll pick up on that can help you. I'll put the links up as they're done uploading. again these are just some causual videos so sorry for teamates talking. I'll be working on a video guide on improvment if I get around to it.

Hey, sorry about that. I've been having one of those days for the past two days, heh. But thank you so much for all your help and advice. The best thing I figured out is I don't know a whole hell of a lot and can always learn more. :)

Thanks for the videos, I will check them out. Trust me, there's a reason we don't let people under 18 in our clan and typically don't want them even in party chats. These days it's exclusively my mouth that the rule is made for. :D But full matches are good, sometimes even watching what routes you take will give me a-ha moments for strategies.

Halo 1 and 2 were my jam back in the day and I always ran on sensitivity 10 once I started playing multiplayer. The thing was, I was running LAN parties with the same half dozen people so you figure out pretty quickly how to beat them but then you don't learn beyond that because you don't get the constantly changing skill sets that challenges what you know and forces you to adapt. This was also the time I learned of the crab claw but I could never get comfortable with it (I have little hands. Battlefield moves slow enough and Doom has useless face buttons but eventually I'll find a game where the claw might be the best option). While I do try to keep my fingers between the shoulder buttons on PS4 they do tend to slide towards the middle of L2/R2 (even I was surprised at how quickly I was able to switch hit in my video above). I'll definitely work on finding something that works for me; it might be worth suffering for a short while to put my jump button on the shoulder as I tend to get a little over enthusiastic with it on L3, even to a fault.

I'm not sure what you mean by scaling back down to a lower sensitivity after I've gotten used to a higher one. It is that once I get comfortable enough with fast look that I quit throwing my reticle around so much I'll be able to have even better control and line up where I want to be?

I was not aware of there being a difference between 720 and 1080 in regards to response time. (Damn marketing departments had me sold that the 1080 craze.) But since you can't tell the difference until 55" and I have a 30" TV that's definitely something I will do. Graphics aren't important anyway* and if my response time is better that's the way to go.

Thankfully the vortex rifle isn't used nearly as much these days. For the early part it was used by more than half the players on a team - and as much as id wanted this to be a movement based game, maps like Excavation could see an entire team take the high ground and it became impossible to root them out. Now I see one, maybe two vortex rifles a game, almost no lighting guns and a decent balance of weapons. I've turned into quite the rocket spammer since they upped the damage on it. I don't mind the lightning gun, it's an id weapon even if it is traditionally a Quake gun, but I feel any sniper rifle has zero business being in a game like this period. Doubly so since the static cannon and burst rifle fit the meta better. Could be I'm just sore I'm no good at snipers myself.

Makes me curious if there's skill based matchmaking built in and that's why I'm not seeing the quickscopers anymore. I doubt it since I have decent connections even on satellite internet and my matches aren't consistently either good, bad or average even with the same lobby.

*Sometimes graphics are good for immersion; Destiny was graphically and organically amazing. Shame it turned out to be such shit.

Okay, I was able to watch the videos and I'll be watching them quite a few times. Well played sir, that was enjoyable and you are awesome at this game. That commentary was great, console chatter is usually obnoxious as hell but i was laughing quite a bit. I really can't wait to get back on PC (even though the transition will be a steep one getting use to K/M again but that's the superior and easier to control input method) as those matches are even faster and more insane.

So, lessons I learned:

1. Fuck a reload. Switch hitting with shotguns, whether you have both or just one, is incredibly fast. Don't wait for pump/reload animations. I'm not too bad with SH as is so now that I'm aware of this I'll have a better time of it.

2. You have to watch for it as everything moves so fast but I saw the leading. Kind of just pointing where they're going and learning to time the trigger pull right. I could sense there was a little more to it than that, you have to pay attention to how they're moving and playing, but with some practice and self awareness I'll defo be able to master that eventually.

3. I haven't used the personal teleporter much but when I did I was clearly doing it wrong. I see that I need to learn the environments and make it work for me so that I can be A, unpredictable to them and B, know where to throw it so I can get the upper hand. Using it to quickly grab items was beautiful. Seeing that it throws like the Tesla helps too. Getting behind the baron was brilliant.

4. Rockets. Spam is good in moderation. Leading and using splash damage is key. Early detonation is for when they move past or lead or are around corners.

5. Experiment with loadouts so I can find different combinations that work and change on the fly to adapt to the situation. Don't just use frags on all classes or SSG as secondary. Give the lighting gun a chance. Suffer a little for the sake of getting better later.

6. Engaging and using cover seems to always be the best option. Hanging back and playing conservatively is for very rare occasions. This is where I figured out how I should be using the teleporter too. I know the maps, make them work for me.

7. Use centered weapons and give myself the advantage of seeing more screen. Once I get used to them again I think it'll go a long way into helping me aim more at the head/upper chest area.

8. Getting killed through a wall sucks. I knew that already, Battlefield 4 was notorious for that in the early days, but that was bullshit nonetheless

9. The prowler can go to hell and take the Vortex rifle with it. Pun mostly not intended.

I'll watch them again but thank you for that. They were very helpful and I learned a lot just from one viewing over. I've got the general idea down already, but it's the little things that will go a long way. With these new tips and a LOT of practice I'll be on my way to kicking ass, and once I get back on PC I'll already have an advantage that'll help make the transition easier, especially because it's significantly faster and more frantic on that platform and I'll be getting my ass stomped for quite some time. As long as I learn something it'll be alright.

Hell ya, when you get on pc go ahead and add me, I'm down to play.I'v got my steam profile as my homepage. And for the lighting gun, use the secondary fire the most, as it tracks them/ has a large "Leap" distance. I mainly shoot at their feet. Also always try to be abouve your oponent.