Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaska

Oncoming jokewad - gone serious now (joi-choices.wad)

Edit 18.7. I added the download link now for this:
https://fi.files.fm/u/zmrrvgg5

I think this is the best wad I've created so far.

There are 6 ways to play this map. I recommend Zdoom or GZdoom. Doom2.wad needed.

====================================
Edit 13.7, I updated the whole map and added some new screenshots.
====================================

Previous jokewad description:
Including inescapable pit, misaligned basic textureset, cyberdemon assault, epic archvile battle, fun traps, cool secrets, amazing gameplay!

Start-area:

New

Old
http://i.imgur.com/zK6qTOm.jpg?1

Blue-key area:
New

Old
http://i.imgur.com/9SaUO7u.jpg?1

New shots:

While waiting for this masterpiece you can play this:
https://fi.files.fm/u/nadd7pph

Like, there aren't already enough of this kind of maps. Come on.

Hmh, maybe. I got kind of fun ideas so maybe if I'll update visuals and do a proper map then..

Pfft, gimme a break, a real jokewad is the cif series and dwforums series.
Btw there's a strong chance of dis thread goin to Post Hell.

I have nothing against jokewads. The problem with most is that they are either too basic or don't play well. Stuff like The Sky May Be work because they are so outlandish and bizzare; one can see a lot of effort went into creating them, even if the end result is something a good chunk of gamers won't appreciate playing.

The screens you've posted, Jaska...eh, they look fairly generic. Almost akin to regular first time maps.

But in no way am I discouraging you from mapping. My advice: make gameplay good first, and then add humor.

If you want to try this kind of thing- go look at and play MOCK2 first...THEN you'll understand how shitty mapping tied in with ACS fun can make for a interesting and somewhat...mind changing...experience.

This might be more akin to 1337.wad which is...pretty old now really.

Let's face it, jokewads are dead. Nobody finds them funny anymore. MOCK2 is only good because it was more original at the time, the joke doesn't work very well after that.

Sodaholic said:

Let's face it, jokewads are dead.

I can't believe they ever were a thing. But the fact people pour hours into making intentional trash astounds me!

I'll be blunt here. This looks more like a challenge rather than a joke

Start area: looks like you presented us a bunch locked door, meaning quests for keys, meaning demon fights

Baron fight with a pistol: how is that a joke? That IS a challenge.

Blue key trap: come on almost every area with a key is a trap in most WADs.

Amazing visuals: a normal map tends to have this too. Joke map, may or may not.

You know what i think of a jokewad? One where the player is kept at a annoyed state in fucked situations, while being made fun of, and winning is made to be unsatisfactory. Thats why Mock 2 is a jokewad to me. It also has to funny.

Sodaholic said:

Let's face it, jokewads are dead.

No, this particular joke is dead. Shitty mapping is no longer funny, intentional or not.

We have Instadoom, dood, seinfeld.wad, and they're all pretty funny aren't they?

I updated the starting room and maybe skip all the stupidest things.

But I'll keep the unescapable pit at least.. ;)

Jaska said:

I updated the starting room and maybe skip all the stupidest things.

http://i.imgur.com/tLAyhPo.jpg

But I'll keep the unescapable pit at least.. ;)

That looks even more challenging.

Im with the guy above me.

If you want to make a jokewad, go ahead and make a jokewad. Most people don't really like them (myself included), but if that's what you want, don't let others discourage you. Make the maps you like, just try to have some quality. Who knows, it might actually be fun.

Looks really cool now, anyway you can put some comedic value, like some scripted event (if this is for zdoom or similar ports) or something else that people on doom community found funny ...

This is looking pretty cool aesthetically. Don't screw up with the thing placement!

Is that an Archnotron corpse i see over there?

Thanks Doomkid, walter confalonieri and Voros! Yes, it's a corpse of an Archnotron.

I kept almost all ideas from the original wad and added some new. The most difficult feature to implement is that the player has to make a decision on start, which affects the gameplay off the whole map.