Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Potatoguy

SO CSGO is inducing child-aged gambling.

I never cared for the whole "virtual economy" Valve have been pushing hard on steam. I'd rather play the games and not the item market.

Ha ha, lmao that shit was fucking awful, i've seen those videos multiple times and boy these 2 are in deep shit, they fucked up big time, not to mention they are being paid by Activision to promote COD, which makes it worse, these fuckers are shady and greedy, they'll do anything for a dollar.
Even Total Biscuit made a video about this bs they pulled off and he's was pissed.
And i know of a few YTuber's who are exposing these for good.
Btw these 2 retards aren't the only ones to pull that shit, no, there are more, if you look on YT you'll see there's more of them.
Either way i hope these 2 pay dearly for pulling this shit.

Yeah those two fucked up big time, hell they were living like kings, it was only a matter of time for their castle to fall

Hopefully the FTC looks into this more while trying to pursue VALVe and those corporate hacks at Activision (and EA), I want both of their promotions to be destroyed in their faces. The only reason cod is so popular is because of all of the hidden promotions they do with all of these YouTube channels to keep sheep buying the game constantly, hell Activision have been exposed as to giving crew supply drops to YouTubers for then to open and incentivize young people into buying these scam packs, I really hope this blows up in these hacks faces

Don't worry, they are already being sued, along with thier shit site, so it's just a matter till' they fall, plus if they say anything, the lawsuit will get more worse for them, not to mention they lost thier sponsors, so they are finished.

I have mixed feelings about Valve. On one hand they do awesome stuff, on the other hand, they pull a lot of crap. I hope this incident gets them to start acting a bit less greedy.

Sodaholic said:

I have mixed feelings about Valve. On one hand they do awesome stuff, on the other hand, they pull a lot of crap. I hope this incident gets them to start acting a bit less greedy.

They have no reason to stop being greedy and they probably wont, this means nothing to them in the long run.

Mr. Freeze said:

Like what?

Tech stuff like the Vive. And despite its problems, I consider Steam to be a good service.

Also Half-Life is a genuinely good game, as is Portal and TF2. And while I dislike CSGO, there's a lot of fond memories in CS Source for me.

Sodaholic said:

Tech stuff like the Vive. And despite its problems, I consider Steam to be a good service.

To be pedantic, I'd word it like "Valve did awesome stuff". Present tense, I can't think of any reason why I like them. Yeah my Steam account is nifty but they stopped being a game developer and are now more of a hat factory. The paid mods fiasco was my tipping point

Mr. Freeze said:

To be pedantic, I'd word it like "Valve did awesome stuff". Present tense, I can't think of any reason why I like them. Yeah my Steam account is nifty but they stopped being a game developer and are now more of a hat factory. The paid mods fiasco was my tipping point

Yeah, you've got a good point. However, we don't know what kind of advances they're working on behind closed doors.

TMartn's "apology" video was unintentionally funny, I found. It seemed more like a promotional video for his channel rather than an actual apology.

SavageCorona said:

This is old news only sparked into the mainstream by 2 fucking idiots.

I'm glad they were stupid enough to expose it to the mainstream and then act oblivious to the whole thing after just to illustrate how completely immature they are.

Sodaholic said:

On the other hand, It's odd that you even bring up Valve because they are in no way affiliated with these gambling sites. To be perfectly honest I'm not even sure why they needed to say that, seeing as it was blatantly obvious.

Easy scams with these places. The Steam authenticator though seems to be able to be handed out willy nilly. For example there was a Roulette website with the authenticator. You deposit 50 bucks worth of stuff to get a chance to win a massive pot. As it turned out the entire website was a flash/Javascript funhouse, complete with fake gambles and a fake chat room. The fact the authenticator doesn't have to be approved (Or the guys who approve it don't investigate whose applying) makes for a deadly combination. Steam's failure to actually moderate whose using their authentication system should also be brought to their attention.

Valve are cracking down on gambling by sending out cease and desists to gambling sites and basically shutting down gambling site bots and a bunch of other stuff from the inside of steam.

warning there's some earrape at the start but its just a joke

Edward850 said:

On the other hand, It's odd that you even bring up Valve because they are in no way affiliated with these gambling sites. To be perfectly honest I'm not even sure why they needed to say that, seeing as it was blatantly obvious.

I could've phrased that better. I didn't mean to imply that Valve was in cahoots with these sites, just that stuff like ruining (IMO) their games with microtransactions and stuff like the paid mod fiasco are a bit questionable.

That, and I feel they were very irresponsible for allowing this gambling stuff to go on as long as it did, they only did something once the public pressure was on them.

As for Valve, I think that their hands-off-approach is not something they should keep doing in the future. Otherwise I don't see more "evil" in Valve than in your everyday supermarket for the most part.

However there is something fishy about this on Valve's side too:

What I would like to know is whether or not Valve has made profit out of these gambling sites in a significat way. Generally, when you buy stuff on steam's community market, you pay like a fee of 2 cents which obviously goes to Valve. Since these gambling sites evidently used Valves API to at least "verify" the items that are being put up for gambling, and considering the fact that these items needed to be transferred between accounts after every gamble made, I suppose it's reasonable to assume that Valve has made quite a bit of money off of this. The way I heard it CSGO-Lotto was a site where items worth a total of 2Billion $/year have been gambled for, and it certainy wasn't the only site in existance.

What are your thoughts on this? Does anyone know how the item transfer has been handled, or used a site like CSGO-Lotto, so we can talk about the terms of service of said sites and whatnot?

Valve wasn't exactly an active part of this, they just weren't exactly opposing it all that much because it was profitable for them to look the other way. Once it got media attention, Valve realized they couldn't take the neutral stance anymore because they're indirectly tied to this so they were forced to take action.

MetroidJunkie said:

Valve wasn't exactly an active part of this, they just weren't exactly opposing it all that much because it was profitable for them to look the other way. Once it got media attention, Valve realized they couldn't take the neutral stance anymore because they're indirectly tied to this so they were forced to take action.

It does not matter if they were an active part or not. That's not what I am talking about. I wanted to know if there are any estimates going around as to how much money Valve may have made by "looking the other way".