Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Hansen

THT: Threnody - released!

Liberation said:

Loving the screenshots pcorf, very nice work!

My map now has a name: Binde Haldetmand Palae

Now sorting out the gameplay and will be submitting the map in the near future. It is a medium difficulty map.

Edit: MAP UPLOADED

Download: paulcorfiatis.com/septypc2.zip

Liberation said:

Labour Of Despair is now completed. Unless anything horrible crops up this is now finished.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback, its been a pleasure!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/u92f1lp4e1viq1c/lodfinal.wad

I've added a new area and the area outside the red key walls is now accessible, its one of 5 secrets.

EDIT: Loving the map pcorf!

Also really enjoyed your map as well.

Just reuploaded my map after forgetting to set linedefs 819 and 2919 to impassable so Cacos and Souls cannot go through them. Must be old age catching up with me. The updated map overwrites the original version, just re-download.

Awesome! I'm glad to see these two maps out. I will definitely be playing them in the next few days; get y'all some thoughts, too.

Looking forward to it.

I am super busy these days with my final two exams approaching. I would love to give both maps a whirl, but I just can't find the time if it has to be done properly with respectful and meaningful feedback. So you'll have to wait at least a week before I can play them and another week before my map is ready. And then we're almost at the deadline, which is July 1st. I'm sorry if I led you guys to believe that I could playtest them earlier, but again, exams, job, sickness and familiy is simply keeping me too occupied to do anything but update the OP with links to your pwads :P

Chris Hansen said:

I am super busy these days with my final two exams approaching. I would love to give both maps a whirl, but I just can't find the time if it has to be done properly with respectful and meaningful feedback. So you'll have to wait at least a week before I can play them and another week before my map is ready. And then we're almost at the deadline, which is July 1st. I'm sorry if I led you guys to believe that I could playtest them earlier, but again, exams, job, sickness and familiy is simply keeping me too occupied to do anything but update the OP with links to your pwads :P

You have done more for my pwad then I could of possible asked for, which I'm eternally grateful for so don't worry! Besides Fonze is pretty good it seems in finding retarted mistakes :p

I've been doing a bit of graphic work for Chris, and I realized that I had a v7 of Fomalhaut sitting on my drive. I don't even remember what I changed on it :P. Well I went ahead and made a few tiny additions, mostly extra COOP monsters in the later parts of the map, and uploaded it.

Fomalhaut v7

If I can find the time, maybe I can help out a bit with map testing.

Liberation said:

Besides Fonze is pretty good it seems in finding retarted mistakes :p

Well, if we think in the thought of "it takes one to know one" I guess I'll do fairly well! ... Wait...

Had the chance to play a map, I chose pcorf's since his was posted first.

Septypc2:
This was a fun, pretty map to explore. Died once in the beginning in the room with the first switch, got hung up on the sides while in the water, didn't think I wouldn't be able to climb up them, heh. I liked the beginning, with the imps teleporting in a second after mapstart and the first-switch encounter. The breakable window was a cool touch; especially the shards of glass on the floor. Speaking of cool touches, I always enjoy seeing horizontally-moving/swinging doors and you did a good job with the one you put in here. Unfortunately I found 0 secrets until the very end, after all monsters were dead when I went back around for a second-look. I was totally confused over what the shootable switch did and thought it related to a secret, perhaps of the one-time variety. That switch should be made non-repeatable, btw.

I really liked the use of teleport traps here and the monster variety offered. My only gripe is the final enemy; a baron? C'mon man, we need more than that ;D I did like the AV and bulls before the exit room, but the bulls performed poorly with those stairs. You may want to tweak that encounter.

In terms of difficulty, this map seemed to be worse (more difficult) than it was, which is something I appreciate. What I'm referring to is the traps and encounters, in particular the precedence set with the first-switch encounter and the initial 4 imps at mapstart, making at least me think that teleports would be used freely and perhaps mercilessly. Of course seeing and hearing so many go off at that f-s encounter helped that vibe along.

I was kinda irked with the lack of the RL the whole time combined with not finding its secret and a low ammo situation towards the end, to the point that I almost killed myself in what can only be described as a show of stupidity upon finding it, but after wandering the map looking for secrets, I found I had not only more than enough ammo (even without secrets) without the RL, but that I had also missed some pickups. Never mind that even with the ammo I accidentally skipped, I still finished, so my frustration was as stupid as my almost-suicide.

I did not find any texture misalignments (though Chris is way better at that than I am) nor did I find anything broken or breakable. This is a solid map that was a ton of fun to play!

FDA: The time for completion was 14:40, plus another 9.5 minutes of wandering around looking for secrets afterwards. Of course the whole time I'm being mobbed by mosquitos out here, lol. The only thing this map could use is a bit of tweaking on its encounters, aside from that it felt perfect for early E3. Great job Paul!

Finally had some freetime to play Paul's level and give Liberation's a quick glance. Let's start with the latter since it's already been well covered and there isn't much left to comment on :) I like the new areas, the end fight and all the other fixes scattered throughout the level. I did notice two things:

Spoiler

One these hanging corpses block the player below in a sourceport such as prBoom. It's a bit annoying, so please change it to one allows the player to walk under it :)

Sky transfer tag missing

Paul's level is of his usual high standard! There isn't a whole lot to comment on, as it's pretty much ready to put into the final compilation. Personally, I had a lot of problems even on HMP (my preferred difficulty) in the beginning. It got a better once I picked up the green armor. The shootable window was super cool and the same goes for the RL secret! So simple, yet so fantastically creative and visually great! The level overall has immaculate ligthing and texturing; except for these two textures that I find kinda odd looking:
Spoiler

Thank you submitting such a great level, Paul! This project just keeps better and better and I'm super thrilled to be leading a team of such dedicated and talented people!

There's another blocking hanging body in Lib's map near the SSG: one of the hanging bodies in the room adjacent to the SSG that houses a mancubus. Forgot to mention it before, but that killed me a couple times and blocked the manc a few times as well.

I think we'll be able to meet it without any hiccups. The only thing left in the pipeline is my map, which is about 90% finished. I've got my last exam this Tuesday and I'll try and find some time to finish the map after that. It should be doable before July 1st.

The only other thing I can think of that isn't ready is the story incl. intermission and end text. It doesn't have to be included but I think it would make a nice addition to the project. But that doesn't necessarily have to be ready for the first beta release.

Liberation said:

Ah crap, well will get that fixed soon!

I can fix that for the beta release if you like. I'll just change it to one that doesn't block the player.

Chris Hansen said:

I can fix that for the beta release if you like. I'll just change it to one that doesn't block the player.

Found a couple of other bits that I would like to tweak so don't worry for now!

Updated my map with a few minor cosmetic fixes

This vent and all surrounding textures has now been re-offset on the Y offset so it looks much better. http://www.windward.dk/TDR/Ty_tribute/doom76.png

This vent has now been totally removed: http://www.windward.dk/TDR/Ty_tribute/doom75.png

Everything else unchanged.

Chris you are welcome to make any other changes.

Download: paulcorfiatis.com/septypc2.zip

Pheeew, almost took my breath away trying to get this done, but I did it. Here's my third and final map for this project. I'd very much appreciate any kind of feedback on it as it might still be a lille rough around the edges!

I think it turned out pretty good, and if you think it looks and feels a little oldschool, then it's probably because this map dates back as far as 2004 when it began life as a Flay The Obscene map that never materialised :)

Anyway enough talk, here's the map. Screenshots in this post.

Enjoy!

All these maps look great, you guys. Looking forward to playing the set! I'm sure Ty would be honored.

Not Jabba said:

All these maps look great, you guys. Looking forward to playing the set! I'm sure Ty would be honored.

Very kind of you to say so. Thanks for the support!

Status July 1st

It's the day of the deadline. We're now closed for submissions - except for one map by didy and Fonze which should be ready within the next couple of days. When this map is ready I'll compile an alpha version of the project, which will be sent to all contributors for internal testing. This is primarily just to get everyone's accept that everything is in order ie. map names, music, order of maps etc. I expect to have a beta ready for public testing shortly after that. We're still aiming for a July 31st release. I've said it before, but there's no harm in doing it again: A big thank you goes out to everyone involved in this project! Whether your contributions have been big or small this project would never have reached the level of quality it has without you! I'm very excited to see the final version released and I think I can speak on behalf of the team, when I say that we're sure all you Doomers out there will find this set of levels super cool and a lot of fun to play!

This was a really good project to contribute to and I think in the end it will end up with 20 maps (19 currently submitted) and plenty of original music. I enjoyed creating both of my maps, a challenge but fun especially when it comes to trying to limit linearity.

Kudos to everyone who participated this tribute project! I'm looking forward to check out the alpha version.

MAP02 has three bugs, and here they are in one picture :

The building on the right gets cut off by the sky, it's more notable when you strafe and look at the tile.
The dead tree is cut off by the skyline of the green building.
The pine tree behind the dead tree is cut off by a different sky.

Note : You can see this bug from another point of view too.