Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brad_tilf

This does not compute

I was pretty much just finishing up when all of a sudden shit just stopped working the way it had been - specifically spawning. For no reason I can figure out, it just seems to have stopped working in at least most of the modules. I've been working on this map for like a week now and honestly, I can't figure it out and I can't get them to work again. It's like the engine just decided it didn't want to do it any more.

You have to hide as many enemies as you can (Press X and Hide 'em), make them show up only when player opens door for room where those enemies are + only when lockdowns are complete .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

You have to hide as many enemies as you can (Press X and Hide 'em), make them show up only when player opens door for room where those enemies are + only when lockdowns are complete .

Believe me, I had it all set up. Then, it just - stopped working. I don't know what change I made but all of the spawn features just failed. It was pretty discouraging. I'll be sure to make multiple backups of the next one. :-)

Try setting up a counter variable to check how many AI are spawning in and getting killed again. I've seen a few posts floating around that mention issues when having an AI conductor module and spawn events together in the same map. The AI conductor does a lot of cleanup work which can break spawn events and logic chains dependent on Event Finished nodes.

If the counter goes up, but doesn't come down again accurately then you have a problem.

Filthy Gringo said:

Try setting up a counter variable to check how many AI are spawning in and getting killed again. I've seen a few posts floating around that mention issues when having an AI conductor module and spawn events together in the same map. The AI conductor does a lot of cleanup work which can break spawn events and logic chains dependent on Event Finished nodes.

If the counter goes up, but doesn't come down again accurately then you have a problem.

I had quite a few spawn events but no AI conductor. I really wished I had saved a backup because after it broke there was no fixing it. I even removed all spawn events and tried adding one back in - nothing. And, on top of that, near the end, there were two rooms where it wouldn't show the just regular creatures even though they were set to show on start and I still had a couple percentage points left on creatures. Needless to say, it was truly disappointing. But I learned my lesson about backups.

Yeah, that's rough. I was deleting some old backups post-update and found I couldn't touch a couple of them because they were corrupt (mostly the ones with network, memory, and object resources over 90%). That update broke a lot of WIP for some people. I wonder if any of the published maps suffered.

I create a new backup after significant changes, or every few days (whichever comes first). Saves a lot of heartache.

Filthy Gringo said:

Yeah, that's rough. I was deleting some old backups post-update and found I couldn't touch a couple of them because they were corrupt (mostly the ones with network, memory, and object resources over 90%). That update broke a lot of WIP for some people. I wonder if any of the published maps suffered.

I create a new backup after significant changes, or every few days (whichever comes first). Saves a lot of heartache.

I've been doing them after just a few changes now, just to be on the safe side. Testing to make sure that one is good then moving on. It seems that corruption is not only possible, but too damn common. I've been working on this map since last week and so far have only done the design of the map and the decorating/atmosphere phase of the map. It's looking pretty damn good. I just started on adding the creatures/spawning, etc... which is where I'm getting REALLY nervous so literally, I'll be saving after every spawn encounter that I create and test because I don't want to have happen to this map what happened to the last.

As a side note, I rarely had to worry about corrupted maps while making Doom 2 levels with Doom Builder. lol