Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Pokemon Go, opinions?

It's like doom 4 was for us. Haven't seen a game take the whole world by storm like this in my lifetime. Makes me wonder how addicted people will get to VR and AR once it's refined.

I'm not sure "augmented reality" games are even a good idea. At least I wouldn't want young children play them before they've developed a firm grasp on the difference between reality and fantasy.

Just checked it out on the Appstore. Seems like something you'd become addicted to. I dont want that.

Impossible to even try, as they completely ignored x86 based Android phones.

Irritatingly not out where I am yet (UK). I tend to go for 45 min walks on my lunch breaks, this would be the perfect accompaniment to my walks, giving them purpose above and beyond just "stretching my legs & getting fresh air".

Decided it's not worth risking an APK yet, so I'll be patient.

Taking a walk is basically taking a break from technology. Now you take walks to catch pokemon on your phone.

Taking walks is a measure I take to stop myself becoming a fat shit who never moves from their chair, actually. I use my phone quite often when walking.

The trailer was enough for me to know it's going to be shit, and oh wonder after I installed it, I found out it is shit.

The only thing that's good is that it includes basically google images of interesting places around your neighbourhood, but to be honest if you're a little curious you propably know most of these already. And google maps shows them to you as well.

^ Something tells me you want it to be shit, heh.

I will provide feedback on the app when it comes out here.

I guess if you're a fan of the whole pokemon lore it is a decent app, but nothing more. You can't even fight with friends or trade pokemons yet, and I doubt that's going to be added.

I have a feeling theres gonna be people dressed up as pokemon trainers breaking into peoples houses looking for Mewtwo.

Doominator2 said:

I have a feeling theres gonna be people dressed up as pokemon trainers breaking into peoples houses looking for Mewtwo.

Can't wait.

torekk said:

I guess if you're a fan of the whole pokemon lore it is a decent app, but nothing more. You can't even fight with friends or trade pokemons yet, and I doubt that's going to be added.

Whats that point of capturing pokemon, if you cant use them to battle others'pokemons? Because it feels nice? Pfft!

Gez said:

I'm not sure "augmented reality" games are even a good idea. At least I wouldn't want young children play them before they've developed a firm grasp on the difference between reality and fantasy.

I can see your point, but in the case of Pokemon I don't see it as particularly harmful so long as their parents make clear to them it's just a game. There could be positives too, encouraging them to go outside (preferably with supervision).

I played twenty minutes of it. It's ok. The AR doesn't work on my phone though. It drains battery life really fast. I will be uninstalling this later.

Since this dumbass application has been released, I have witnessed the following:

My supervisor was driving his personal vehicle at our job site. He stopped his car, got out, and ran into the adjacent field to go catch a damn pokemon.

My coworker walks around the job site with his eyes on his hands searching for pokemon while semitrucks drive past him, one nearly clipping him.

My cousin yesterday came running out of the bathroom with his pants still undone in pain because he had to shit really bad and stopped right after he started. He was actually sweating. I go, "Dude what's the matter?". His response, "I gotta shit real bad but I gotta go catch this Evy." So he runs out to the front yard still buttoning his pants and starts walking around looking for it.

Yep. I'm not even going to try this out.

Hey man, it's a fucking Eevee, I'd run out there too and I haven't played since '99.

Personally, I will not play any pokemon games except Gold version and HeartGold version. So this "new version" does not get my attention at all. Regardless, I hope people are not going to make a stupid decision, such as entering North Korea to catch extremely rare legendary pokemons.

antares031 said:

Personally, I will not play any pokemon games except Gold version and HeartGold version. So this "new version" does not get my attention at all. Regardless, I hope people are not going to make a stupid decision, such as entering North Korea to catch extremely rare legendary pokemons.

With Ingress there was some shit where people for example went to the Auschwitz memorial site to do some game bullshit.

(Yeah, let's hack and take over GAS CHAMBERS for our team!!1)

The maintainers of the site were understandably not pleased with that and asked the devs to remove the sites from the game. The devs then, San Francisco type tech utopia hipsters they are, were acting kinda shitty about it. Good times all around. I hope Nintendo will be a little better about stuff like this.

That's kind of the shitty potential of AR gaming. Sometimes places have real meaning attached to them, and removing that context for some stupid game can be a real asshole thing to do.

(And yeah, that's not even to mention actual safety concerns.)

@TraceOfSpades: So you're seeing adults acting stupid with this thing? Damn, maybe kids really shouldn't play this. I try to give kids more credit than most adults do (I feel there's too many helicopter parents, etc.), but then again, I might've forgotten how bad kids can really be.

Kids are bad nowadays.

But I think the reason why I went to a "I'll just play the original Pokemon" opinion is because of what Trace said.

I didn't know people would be THAT stupid.

Tritnew said:

Kids are bad nowadays.

you're 19

don't even fucking START with this shit

I think its a cool concept. I hope they make other games like it with different themes.

I heard that story of that kid that go hit by a train, which is sad. But people have been dying and being assaulted over pokemon for decades:

http://articles.philly.com/2000-05-12/news/25616707_1_metal-detectors-pokemon-card-school-district-police-officer

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/boy-stabbed-pokemon-9-year-old-charged-knifing-teen-card-article-1.850296

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal-boy-stabbed-over-pokemon-cards-1.172068