Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

What are you reading?

Yes, so to all of you guys who love to get lost in a captivating novel, what are you reading at the moment?

I'm really getting into Tom Clancy novels, just finished Rainbow Six (which was really intense) and I'm starting to read Clear and Present Danger

I listen to audio books at work sometimes. Listened to animal farm yesterday. Today I listened to the Martian. The most recent books I read are the jungle, audacity of hope and the third doom novel, infernal sky.

Volume 1 of Dune. I figured I may as well experience one of my favorite fictions in its original form.

don't read much, trying to gradually change that. currently:

The Twelve Chairs - Ilf & Petrov
Winesburg, Ohio - Sherwood Anderson

I usually find myself reading multiple books at the same time, currently I'm reading 3 & am about to start a 4th.

The last Book I finished reading was Seeking Perfection by Jonathan Melville, which is sort of a Masters of Doom equivalent for the Tremors film series. The 3 books that I am currently reading are, Sky Dragons by Anne & Todd McCaffrey which is the most recent book of the Dragon Riders of Pern series. Alien: Out of the Shadows by Tim Lebbon which is book 24 of the Alien expanded universe. The Seventh Chakra by Kevin Frane, which I only got just this weekend. Then I'm about to start a 4th book, Carnifex by Matthew J Hellscream which is a book that I helped fund through a Kickstarter campaign.

The Sonichu comics

(And 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea... Or, well, I'm going too once I finish the last chapter of Raptor Red, although it's been two months).

I've been trying to read The Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce recently, but work has caught up with me. And now that i have more free time, i got back into DOOM. I'll probaly finnish it tonight. It's pretty good, and definetely more relaxed than Ulysses.

Clonehunter said:

And 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Read that book a long time ago and I really liked it, definitely a classic.

Paul de Kruif's Microbe Hunters.

EDIT: It was a gift from a friend :)

A month or so ago I started going through the Star Wars EU novels. Started with Thrawn and then Jedi Academy. I've just started book three (Champions of the Force). So far I prefer Zahn's writing in Thrawn.

Spice and Wolf, Volume 9

Already have the whole set of 17, just need to read em. Really heavy on story these, but exactly why I fell in love with them anyways.

I don't actually like reading, and thus rarely ever partake in it. In fact, in the last 16 years, I can count the number of books I finished on one hand and still have fingers left over, and that's including books I was supposed to read for school. But I do read a lot of Wikipedia, so I suppose that counts to a degree. Also occasionally manga, but that's rare these days.

I am, however, starting to listen to audio books. Lately I've been going through some H.P. Lovecraft stories, as well as The Horus Heresy series.

Reading isn't my favorite thing to do since my imagination for what the visuals are in the story are huge contrasts to what they should be, I also sometimes get lost in books (in a bad way) because the visuals I create are too much for what they should be

Hopefully this is just a little minor thing I can avoid doing (it happened to me when I read war of the worlds in the 3rd grade so hopefully it's a thing of the past. That book was confusing as hell man)

But I recently picked up Game of Thrones because I heard the TV show was good and I wanted to give reading it a try

Swine & Roses said:

Clive Barker's Books of Blood Vol. 1-3

Nice, I've been reading a lot of Clive Barker lately myself (his horror books at least, the others are too weird for me).

I don't think I've read a book in ages. My ADHD is far too difficult to manage when it comes to reading.

I've heard audiobooks might be better but I haven't tried it yet.

I'm bouncing around between the works of Iain Banks, M. John Harrison (the Kefahuchi Tract trilogy!) and China Mieville. Mieville's work in particular makes for awkward reading, but also rewarding if you're prepared to surrender all demands for finality through the more conventional means of a key event's unfolding or character revelations. At least, this is true for his short fiction (Three Moments in an Explosion is my most recent reading). He's very consistent in the one sense that he's always taking his radical ideas seriously, if not carrying them to term, so this sort of granted grinding of the narrative gears becomes less and less misleading as you grow accustomed to the ways in which he upsets common practices in story-telling to pursue these ideas. Three Moments is a workshop experience, for the most part, and when you view it as such it seems more accomplished. It does make me want to tackle something meatier of his, though. I think I'll read his Bas-Lag stuff, next.

...Anyway, I'm currently finishing up Banks's Complicity, which is a witty caper featuring a substance-abusing journalist hack, a string of murders in the 2nd person, and some very fun narrative techniques - all those run-on sentences! Engrossing... and occasionally gross.

Grant Morrison's Batman run for the second time. I rarely re-read books or comics but this one's an exception. The last novel I read was Filth by Irvine Welsh one of my all time favourite author's. It's a great dark comedy. I was going to start reading Never Where by Neil Gaiman, which I might be afterwards. I am also debating on whether or not to read Lord of the Rings but the films were boring as shit, so I am unsure whether or not to read them. I did enjoy the Hobbit, though.

For those of you who don't like reading, definitely give audio books a try. There are plenty on youtube if you search for them. Just look up any books you may have intended to read but never got around to it. It has a lot of the stuff you may have been assigned to read in school but sometimes there are other cool things as well if you're willing to look for it. (I think I saw masters of doom on there once before)

If you've never listened to audio books before, they are best to listen to while doing something time consuming and/or repetitive that requires a bit of motor skills but not necessarily requires too much critical thinking or imagination. For me, these are things like driving, cleaning/organizing the house, even mapping or playing a long grindy map in doom (with sound turned off) can be a good environment to absorb new content. I'm sure things like drawing or painting or sewing or yard work can be pretty enjoyable experiences while listening to audio books as well. From what I've learned and heard from a couple other people as well, is that you shouldn't get too worried about keeping up with the reader. Written words are generally more profound than normal everyday spoken language, so its tricky to grasp everything the reader says in one sitting. My brother says he listens to lectures and audio books as much as five times until hes almost "brainwashed" by it. (brainwashing isn't bad if you choose your own material) in my experience I have to listen to an audiobook at least twice to fully grasp it. The first time listening to an audiobook isn't very fulfilling and you'll feel like you didn't learn anything by the time you get to the end but the second time will be much easier to follow. Just power through it.

It's pretty cool being a well-read person when all you were doing was playing doom or mapping or doing other mundane activities that take forever.